Tooheys New All grain recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seato said:
just a bit of colour really
I'd probably go closer to the recipe below and use a little bit of the RB only for colour. The caramunich III will add more colour and more caramel/raisin flavour that isn't really suitable in an Australian lager.

ekul said:
Tasted an aussie lager at the last meeting (which was also my frst meeting). It tasted bang on for a commercial beer (and everyone else in the group thought it was a commercial brew snuck in). The brewer of it was sitting at our table and afterwards told us he'd made it with 4kg pale, 1k sugar and fermented with s23 at 19C Cant remember the Ibus but it POR @ 60 and low (17 maybe). He was trying to make a tooheys extra dry clone i think.

Yes I have also being playing around with this style and have used a few different yeast strains starting at low temps then letting them raise, have done a few with the dry yeast but I felt they were still pretty far off the mark they still came through a bit to clean in flavour. I then used wyeast 2124 lager and just started fermentation at 19c it was done in 4 days from 1045 down to 1009 let it sit at 20c for a week then filtered, now in my opinion the combination of P.O.R hops and 2124 yeast at high temps were the two most important elements to that beer, the grain bill was mostly pils roughly 90% and a combo of crystal 30 and 60 a bit of munich and a bit of roast barley, plus cane sugar to help get it down below 1010 for that light mouth feel. I have brewed five batches of this now and I thought I would pass on what I have learnt so far.

Cheers.

smokomark said:
It was a great aussie lager. Scored 46 points out of 50.
Well brewed Westo.
Thanks Mate, bout to brew it again now that I finally brewed a beer the old man likes he wants a carton for his birthday

Hey westo, can ya confirm the yeast was S23 as per the previous post?

Thanks. What was your fermentation schedule like? How much did ya pitch?

Back