Cozzie pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghizo

Reaction score
Extract recipe
I am looking at doing something a bit more involved for my next brew.
And doing this recipe

2kg Liquid Light Malt Extract
1kg Liquid Wheat Malt extract
250g Caramunich grain pack
15g Pride of Ringwood – 60 min boil
10g Galaxy – 10 min boil
10g Galaxy – 0 min boil
20g Galaxy – Add after 4 days
Saf Ale US-05 Yeast, or WY1056 Liquid Yeast
Procedure:
1. A day before, place 10 litres of water in closed containers in a fridge and chill.
2. Steep Caramunich Grain Pack grains for 10mins with 1 litre of hot tap water (not boiling), then strain into a large saucepan. Discard grain.
3. Add another 4 litres of water, 1 kg Light Liquid Malt, and bring to boil.
4. Add 15g of Pride of Ringwood Hops.
5. After boiling for 50 mins, add 10g Galaxy Hops.
6. At the end of 60 mins boil, turn off heat, add 10g Galaxy hops, remaining liquid malt and stir well.
7. Pour this hot mix into the fermenter and add 10 litres of chilled water. Top up to 22 litres with either hot or cold water to bring starting temperature as close as possible to 20 degrees. Stir well to aerate, then pitch the yeast.
8. Ferment as close as possible to 20 degrees.
9. After fermenting 4 days, open fermenter and add 20 g of Galaxy Hops.

When boiling for 60 minutes do you top up the water to allow for evaporation while boiling?

Any thoughts, or advice

Ghizo said:
When boiling for 60 minutes do you top up the water to allow for evaporation while boiling?
No.

Also I'd probably be steeping the grains in about 2 litres of water and longer than ten minutes (30 minutes is the usual most use)

Don't add the whole 1kg of liquid malt to the boil either - you will only need about 400-500g for that size boil.

Other than that it looks fine.

What's the go with the water in procedure step 1.

He needs to have enough cold water to bring temp down after part boil.

If you chill your boil pot down in the sink after the boil there is no need to chill the other water first.
Also it has the advantage of the hop material falling to the bottom of the pot when chilled so you can stop pouring it in the fermenter.

Thanks for the replies this will be my first time trying this.
Rocker why would you only add 400g to 500g of extract to the boil What difference does it make.
I will probably go with pcmfisher advise of cooling in the sink (esky and ice) .

Do you not lose a lot of volume in a boil for 1 hour?

Because it affects the utilisation of the hops in the boil. The usual figure bandied about is an SG of 1040 for hop boils. Adding 1kg of LME to 5 litres when there's already the liquid from the grain steeping in there will push the gravity a lot higher and you won't get as good utilisation from the hops.

Volume loss depends on your system, you could always increase the size of the boil if you have a big enough pot.

For steeping your grain aim for 70 degrees. Two parts boiling, 1 part tap water cold should hit the mark. 2 litres is a good amount to steep grain in.

I pour my boil into the FV through a strainer to collect the hop matter.

I like to dry hop a bit later, 5 days out from bottling. People believe galaxy can leave a grassy taste in beer if left in the FV for to long.

Latest posts

Back