Too Much Water (newbie)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefty

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've made a few brews before but am only just starting to get a little more serious about it.
I've just put on a dutch lager but in getting the temperature down I miscalculated and I added about 2 or 3 litres more water than the kit asked for. :eek: I know this will effect the OG and thus the FG but will it have any other negative effects on the body or flavour of the beer? :(

Jono.

Lower OG, lower FG, less body and maybe a little less flavour.

A 23L batch I dunno that I'd worry too much.. but if it has got you worried you could always boil up 500g of malt in a litre of water, wait for it to cool and chuck that in.

If it's only a small difference, I might leave it and brew another to compare. I'm keen to do a few of the same style to see how consistent I can get and what things I can/should/might vary.

Thanks!
Jono.

I'd just leave it and take note of how it turns out. As said it will be a little thinner and have a bit less flavour but should be fine.

I did a two can batch of dark ale, and used 25L. nothing wrong happened, its quite good. not sure about a lager, but with a pretty bitter ale no problems with an extra L or 2. then again im a newbie as well and thats just from my 1 experience :)

Latest posts

Back