Too much head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glot

Reaction score
When I brew a kit, I end up with a beer that has too much head no matter how I pour. Is this a characteristic of kit beers or over priming or another beginner's issue? I like a head to last but I don't like taking 5 minutes to pour a glass.

Make sure your glasses are super super clean and smooth on the inside. Might help. I never experienced that problem with my kits.

Glot, can you provide specifics? Such as how you're priming, and what kind of ingredients and volumes are involved?

Over priming IMO how much sugar are you using?

My first point of call would be to look at the priming levels.

Glot said:
I like a head to last but I don't like taking 5 minutes to pour a glass.
Providing your planned carbonation levels are as normal....ie sugar measure or carbonation drops etc.

Without jumping to conclusions, I'd suspect there's a chance your brew is not quite finished fermenting when it's transferred into the bottle. It's a very common mistake and one of the most common cries for help heard in HBShops. If there's still a few points of gravity to go and then you add more sugar/dextrose/whatever to the bottle then the yeast finds it's comfort zone in storage and starts chewing those available sugars resulting in over-carbonation.

Let us know what you brewed, what and how much you carbonated with and size of the bottles. It'd help to know what the hydrometer readings were or what you used as a guide to decide the brew was ready.

Martin

I think everyone is looking at it the wrong way. I personally like big head, and want it to last longer than 5 minutes.

I just wish I could find a kit that would prime the missus to get the same results

Boom boom, insert pic of monkey on.drum kit.

(and yes, every **** is a comedian after 6 beers, I'm a barman, I know, but o couldn't resist this one...)

To add to that, if I poor, I get no head.

(insert jazz drummer)

Sammy Davis Jr aint git Shit on.me!

Sorry mate, go.back to your question.

Prime ya missus with a dinner in a little out of the way restaurant and a board walk stroll, then pick.up.the kids from the mother in law, make sure they're full of sugar, and one wants to projectile vomit all over the back seat. The youngest can then out Shit the capacity if her nappy and "peanut butter" your house keys so your forced to. At least wipe shit on. About 8 surfaces.

That's how you minimize head.

Sorry, wrong thread.

Wrong forum.

To be.serious,.do you. Chill your glasses? Of you chill them it can increase head. Ie, in.the freezer with a warmer beer. Temp.differences alone.can do funny things.

I would say recipe and priming practice specifics would be a good step in getting some serious answers...

Been there, done that, and the cause was as HBHB stated, too short in fermenter (7 days) so I went to a minimum 14 days fermenting and presto all fixed!

Without getting too carried away, sounds like I bottled too early. Will try leaving it longer. Thanks for the help.

Pickaxe said:
Prime ya missus with a dinner in a little out of the way restaurant and a board walk stroll, then pick.up.the kids from the mother in law, make sure they're full of sugar, and one wants to projectile vomit all over the back seat. The youngest can then out Shit the capacity if her nappy and "peanut butter" your house keys so your forced to. At least wipe shit on. About 8 surfaces.

That's how you minimize head.

Sorry, wrong thread.

Wrong forum.

To be.serious,.do you. Chill your glasses? Of you chill them it can increase head. Ie, in.the freezer with a warmer beer. Temp.differences alone.can do funny things.

Big evening PA?

I've had this problem with beers that I have fermented with British ale yeasts, except it doesn't appear until they've been in the bottle for a few months. At first, they pour normally, but after these few months they pour huge amounts of bubbles that are quite large (like soft drinks), and if I'm not careful I end up with half a glass of bloody head in it. I've read about 1968 being a bit lazy in primary and restarting in the bottle causing this issue, but is this a trend over other British strains as well? I've never noticed this issue in beers fermented with lager strains or American ale strains. :unsure:

Back