Too much 5.2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickyJ

Reaction score
Cutting a long story short I accidentally over dosed my mash and sparge waters with 5.2 mash stabiliser on the weekend. Approximately double the recommended dose. Does any have any insight as to what the result of this might be?

Thanks in advance!

Unless you had a pH meter to test, unfortunately you will never know. It's horrendously inaccurate.

Thanks, Dr K. That's exactly the info I'm after, will keep an eye out for those off flavours. Really hope I can get away with it.

if used in the correct dosage rates though, will it affect flavour? seems like theres quite a few threads recommending it?

Being a Noob to AG as well, I'd love to add nothing to the Mash, but current reading tells me i need to do something to lower it.

at the moment i'm tossing up between 5.2, phosphoric acid, acidulated malt or using some lemon or limes?

is 5.2 a bad idea? what would you recommend instead?

I'd give the lemons/limes a miss
There are some advantages to mashing at lower pH's, particularly for some styles, but on the whole my experiences with 5.2 leaves me a bit underwhelmed.
Its mostly Sodium Phosphates, you want to be careful with just how much sodium ends up in the beer.
Mark

There's some interesting information from Bru'nwater on 5.2 -

Five Star 5.2 Stabilizer is indicated by its manufacturer to "lock in your mash and kettle water at a pH of 5.2 regardless of the starting pH of your water". Evidence by homebrewers indicates that this product does not produce a mash pH in the preferred room-temperature range of 5.3 to 5.5. That evidence shows this product does produce some pH moderation in waters with high Residual Alkalinity. However, the mash pH tends to center around 5.8 (room-temperature measurement). While 5.8 pH is acceptable, it is at the upper end of the desirable mashing range. The evidence also shows that in waters with low Residual Alkalinity, this product shows little effect on mash pH. Since Five Star 5.2 Stabilizer is a compound with high sodium content, its use will elevate the sodium concentration in the brewing water. High sodium content can be undesirable from a taste standpoint in beer. Proper alkalinity control of mashing and sparging water may produce more acceptable brewing results for most brewers than with the use of 5.2 Stabilizer. To add emphasis to difficulty in using this product, the following conversation posted on Homebrew Talk between noted brewing water expert, AJ DeLange and the chemist from Five Star Chemical regarding their 5.2 Stabilizer product. "Tipped a few last night with the chemist who designed this product and was able to confirm that it is indeed a mix of phosphates (mono and di basic) that accounts for the presence of the malt phosphate. This is something I have long suspected and am pleased to have finally confirmed. Good manners prevented me from pressing him on it's efficacy and suitability relative to the statement on the label. But his comments on it were basically that most brewers shouldn't use it/need it and that it was put together for a particular brewery that had variable source water and no desire to make any effort to track that variability."

wow...thanks Wiggman! That's a lot to process, but i'll endeavour to read it & try & understand it. Cheers!

Thanks as well Manticle & MHB, i always value your posts & have learned a lot from your posts.

OP....sorry to hijack you're thread...hope it's added value?

Latest posts

Back