Tight Arse Stir Plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
75 gms cost $12.95 last year from the health food store. The smaller 25gm bags from Asian supply stores are about $3.

A little goes a long way. You use it at 15 gms per litre. A petri dish uses about 8-10mls of agar solution, so a litre would do around 100 petri dishes.

Cool, thanks for that POL, not such an exorbortant price after all then.

Hoops said:
For those doing this already how much does your Agar cost? I saw a pack this arvo for $8 for 50g which seems pretty $$$
[post="57329"][/post]​
I paid $1.05 for 25g and I just used 1.5g to make 6 slants and 3 petri dishes. It just so happens that it is the same stuff pictured on the Cagney and Lacey page at OCB re yeast culturing. It is made in Thailand - avoid the flavoured stuff unless you plan on making a wit :D

My first slants:
Slants02.jpg

Hopefully some will survive until my yeast arrives (got shipped overnight).

http://brewiki.org/Yeast/Culturing

Mmmmmm.... Sos just shows the brewing community his urine samples. :lol:

Warren -

Don't start taking the pi$$ Warren

Reminds me of when I had hepatitis... :eek:

Shawn.

Tends to happen when frequent a shoebox in the middle of the road.

Throw in a cigarette packet and you've got a nice garage. :chug:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Mmmmmm.... Sos just shows the brewing community his urine samples. :lol:
[post="57396"][/post]​
These days it comes out that thick too.

I have been asked re costs (US dollars):

$5 per slant
$24 priority post (don't know quite how many you could get in for that, I ordered 6 slants and some other stuff).

No idea yet whether they will survive the trip.

OK got some Agar this arvo - $2 for a 25g pack.
Got all the bits for the magnetic stirrer and hopefully put an order in Friday or Monday through Livingstone for the stir bars and erlenmeyers (maybe a few culture tubes for slants) and I'm away :)

My magnetic stir plate has been going just over 24 hours and you can see lots of yeasties spiralling around in the growler. Didn't have a problem with foaming which is good as I left Grandma in charge of my son and house today :lol:
Will let it run until the morning at least then chill to see how much beautiful WLP005 British Ale slurry I have.

Beers,
Doc

First test run with yeast is complete. It works a treat.
Here is the unit at the start of the test.

MagneticStirPlate_021.jpg

And here it is 35 hours later. Quite an amount of slurry for 1 litre of wort, with minimal yeast to start with. Also I only stopped it about 10mins before taking the picture. There is still an amount of suspended yeast to drop out.

MagneticStirPlate_022.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
First test run with yeast is complete. It works a treat.
Here is the unit at the start of the test.

View attachment 2581

And here it is 35 hours later. Quite an amount of slurry for 1 litre of wort, with minimal yeast to start with. Also I only stopped it about 10mins before taking the picture. There is still an amount of suspended yeast to drop out.

View attachment 2582

Beers,
Doc
[post="57577"][/post]​
Doc,
Looks the goods Doc - another brew toy to build.

I notice the towel under the stirrer in the second picture. Is that to deaden the noise(do these things run quiet??), or a preventative measure to protect the kitchen bench if the starter erupts?

Roach

doc keep us up to date re: lag time, fermentation drop V time and final gravity.

mine took off within 3 hrs in the wort, and finished in 3 days ;)

roach: i have a container under my flask (ontop of the stirer) to catch any overflow.

it should run quiet, unless the stirbar rattles, then its a pest

roach said:
Doc,
Looks the goods Doc - another brew toy to build.

I notice the towel under the stirrer in the second picture. Is that to deaden the noise(do these things run quiet??), or a preventative measure to protect the kitchen bench if the starter erupts?

Roach
[post="57607"][/post]​

It was there as a preventative measure in case it had a blow out like sosman's did. I wrapped the towel around it over night to keep a bit of heat in it also.
The unit is quite quiet. The stir bar only makes a bit of noise if it is going to fast.
I probably won't be pitching this yeast in the near future unless I get a chance to brew over the weekend, but I'm travelling between work, clients and the hospital at the moment so brewing is down on the priority list.

Beers,
Doc

Back