Tight Arse Stir Plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
75 gms cost $12.95 last year from the health food store. The smaller 25gm bags from Asian supply stores are about $3.

A little goes a long way. You use it at 15 gms per litre. A petri dish uses about 8-10mls of agar solution, so a litre would do around 100 petri dishes.

Cool, thanks for that POL, not such an exorbortant price after all then.

Hoops said:
For those doing this already how much does your Agar cost? I saw a pack this arvo for $8 for 50g which seems pretty $$$
[post="57329"][/post]​
I paid $1.05 for 25g and I just used 1.5g to make 6 slants and 3 petri dishes. It just so happens that it is the same stuff pictured on the Cagney and Lacey page at OCB re yeast culturing. It is made in Thailand - avoid the flavoured stuff unless you plan on making a wit :D

My first slants:
Slants02.jpg

Hopefully some will survive until my yeast arrives (got shipped overnight).

http://brewiki.org/Yeast/Culturing

Mmmmmm.... Sos just shows the brewing community his urine samples. :lol:

Warren -

Don't start taking the pi$$ Warren

Reminds me of when I had hepatitis... :eek:

Shawn.

Tends to happen when frequent a shoebox in the middle of the road.

Throw in a cigarette packet and you've got a nice garage. :chug:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Mmmmmm.... Sos just shows the brewing community his urine samples. :lol:
[post="57396"][/post]​
These days it comes out that thick too.

I have been asked re costs (US dollars):

$5 per slant
$24 priority post (don't know quite how many you could get in for that, I ordered 6 slants and some other stuff).

No idea yet whether they will survive the trip.

OK got some Agar this arvo - $2 for a 25g pack.
Got all the bits for the magnetic stirrer and hopefully put an order in Friday or Monday through Livingstone for the stir bars and erlenmeyers (maybe a few culture tubes for slants) and I'm away :)

My magnetic stir plate has been going just over 24 hours and you can see lots of yeasties spiralling around in the growler. Didn't have a problem with foaming which is good as I left Grandma in charge of my son and house today :lol:
Will let it run until the morning at least then chill to see how much beautiful WLP005 British Ale slurry I have.

Beers,
Doc

First test run with yeast is complete. It works a treat.
Here is the unit at the start of the test.

MagneticStirPlate_021.jpg

And here it is 35 hours later. Quite an amount of slurry for 1 litre of wort, with minimal yeast to start with. Also I only stopped it about 10mins before taking the picture. There is still an amount of suspended yeast to drop out.

MagneticStirPlate_022.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
First test run with yeast is complete. It works a treat.
Here is the unit at the start of the test.

View attachment 2581

And here it is 35 hours later. Quite an amount of slurry for 1 litre of wort, with minimal yeast to start with. Also I only stopped it about 10mins before taking the picture. There is still an amount of suspended yeast to drop out.

View attachment 2582

Beers,
Doc
[post="57577"][/post]​
Doc,
Looks the goods Doc - another brew toy to build.

I notice the towel under the stirrer in the second picture. Is that to deaden the noise(do these things run quiet??), or a preventative measure to protect the kitchen bench if the starter erupts?

Roach

doc keep us up to date re: lag time, fermentation drop V time and final gravity.

mine took off within 3 hrs in the wort, and finished in 3 days ;)

roach: i have a container under my flask (ontop of the stirer) to catch any overflow.

it should run quiet, unless the stirbar rattles, then its a pest

roach said:
Doc,
Looks the goods Doc - another brew toy to build.

I notice the towel under the stirrer in the second picture. Is that to deaden the noise(do these things run quiet??), or a preventative measure to protect the kitchen bench if the starter erupts?

Roach
[post="57607"][/post]​

It was there as a preventative measure in case it had a blow out like sosman's did. I wrapped the towel around it over night to keep a bit of heat in it also.
The unit is quite quiet. The stir bar only makes a bit of noise if it is going to fast.
I probably won't be pitching this yeast in the near future unless I get a chance to brew over the weekend, but I'm travelling between work, clients and the hospital at the moment so brewing is down on the priority list.

Beers,
Doc

Latest posts

Back