Tight Arse Stir Plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on Pedro's and SOSMans posts I got my prototype built today.
I scored a couple of 240v fans from work, so one of those formed the basis of my implementation.
A scout through the shed and I found an old light switch. A trip to the electrical store for a fan controller, power plug and some flex and I was in business. I trip to Jaycar and I got a jiffy box.
Here is the unit from the outside.

MagneticStirPlate_001.jpg

Here is the inside showing the fan controller closest and the switch at the other end.
For now I've just positioned the magnets on a washer on top of the fan as I'm not sure how high I may have to mount them until my magnetic stir bars arrive this week.
With an old small drill bit on top of the case I got a bit of movement. If I raised the magnets almost to the lid I got a lot of movement.

MagneticStirPlate_005.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Based on Pedro's and SOSMans posts I got my prototype built today.
I scored a couple of 240v fans from work, so one of those formed the basis of my implementation.
With an old small drill bit on top of the case I got a bit of movement. If I raised the magnets almost to the lid I got a lot of movement.
[post="56180"][/post]​
Doc - looking the goods. Might pay to allow some airflow through the box, depending on how warm the fan runs.

The stir bars I have are magnetic themselves so might "stick" a bit more than a drill bit (which is presumably HSS).

Good stuff Doc. Have you got a part No for that box?
Hopefully pick up the magnets and box this week and have all my quotes back for the erlenmeyers & stir bars.

Hoops

Hoops said:
Good stuff Doc. Have you got a part No for that box?
Hopefully pick up the magnets and box this week and have all my quotes back for the erlenmeyers & stir bars.

The part number for the box is HB6134
The dimensions are 240 x 160 x 90 and the fan I used is a 120mm one to put it all into perspective.

Beers,
Doc

OK looks like it may be cheapest to get the stuff couriered from Livingstone.
Rough prices are:

50mm stir bars - $6
70mm stir bars - $10

250ml erlenmeyer - $4
500ml erlenmeyer - $4
1000ml erlenmeyer -$6
2000ml erlenmeyer - $16
3000ml erlenmeyer - $30
5000ml erlenmeyer - $50

From Brisbane (XLmag)
Rare earth magnets - 12mm x 5mm - $5.50 pair ($4.50 pair for 5+ pairs)
Rare earth magnets - 12mm x 10mm - $11 pair ($8 pair for 5+ pairs)

Batz, GMK & JGriffin can you guys confirm exactly what you guys want and Qty.
Once I have an order together I will get a firm quote.

Those that have used them do you think stir bars with pivots are better, or without a pivot??

Hoops

Looks slick sosman.

Got my prototype up and running today.
Here it is working on a growler that I had handy.
MagneticStirPlate_009.jpg

Here it is doing the business on a 2 litre coffe plunger vessel.
MagneticStirPlate_016.jpg

Next to do is fix everything into permanent place and give a test run on a yeast starter.

Beers,
Doc

Doc - looks the goods. Did you have any trouble with the stir bar staying in the middle of the growler?

I just ordered some slants from the USA and hopefully the stirplate will help with the propagation.

sosman said:
Doc - looks the goods. Did you have any trouble with the stir bar staying in the middle of the growler?

No, the growler is pretty much flat bottomed. Just a small drop off at the sides.
Also the magnets I'm using a big and strong.

Beers,
Doc

I am just firing up a second lot with the stirrer now. This is more of a test, only about 5g of quite old yeast from the bottom of a test tube.

I'm thinking about adding a timer onto mine so I can run it for say an hour then stop for an hour, then run for another hourt etc.
I've got it running an extended test run right now on just water to make sure it doesn't throw the stir bar, and doesn't heat up too much.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
I'm thinking about adding a timer onto mine so I can run it for say an hour then stop for an hour, then run for another hourt etc.
I've got it running an extended test run right now on just water to make sure it doesn't throw the stir bar, and doesn't heat up too much.
[post="57193"][/post]​
Mine (LM317) only gets slightly warm now that I added the heatsink. However bigger stir bars in bigger volumes load the fan quite a bit more.

sosman said:
Mine (LM317) only gets slightly warm now that I added the heatsink. However bigger stir bars in bigger volumes load the fan quite a bit more.
[post="57199"][/post]​

I've found mine works best in the growler with just under a litre of water and the 50mm stir bar.
Anymore volume, or the bigger stir bar (70mm) and it seems to struggle a bit more.
I'm using a 240VAC fan, so the only thing that can really get warm is the fan controller, but that is rated for more than the load that should be on it.

Beers,
Doc

I have 6 slants on the way from the US so the stirrer will be running red hot for a while.

Looks like we are going to have a stir plate and jagmatic coil making day at the melbourne brewers soon. The demo had everyone fascinated (yeast breeding was a secondary issue).

sosman said:
I have 6 slants on the way from the US so the stirrer will be running red hot for a while.
[post="57225"][/post]​

Where are you buying the slants from Sosman?

In a good natured way and in all seriousness what is the value of culturing via slants.

Is it just the challenge of culturing yeast, cost .........................

Will

PS i'm just to identify whether i should head this route sometime in the future. I enjoy the challenge and making beer more so than drinking it.

Basicly you are starting with a pure yeast, and you are able to get some yeasts that are not availble otherwise

also slants are used for storage etc

kungy said:
In a good natured way and in all seriousness what is the value of culturing via slants.

PS i'm just to identify whether i should head this route sometime in the future. I enjoy the challenge and making beer more so than drinking it.
[post="57308"][/post]​
Challenge, of course. Never too old to learn new tricks.

Cost, probably not.

Variety, for example, I don't think you can get CL-50 except in slants.

Storage in a small package. Yeast on slants is supposedly good for a year or more so you can keep a variety in the fridge.

kungy said:

Will

[post="57308"][/post]​
Kungy

this is something I am looking into now, for me there are 2 main reasons:
1. The challenge
2. Having lots of different yeasts on hand for whenever you need them.

I think it could be cost effective if you had a few people doing it swapping slants ie a yeast bank in a club, but I feel it's more the convenience of having heaps of different yeasts on hand that doesn't take up too much room.

For those doing this already how much does your Agar cost? I saw a pack this arvo for $8 for 50g which seems pretty $$$

Hoops

Latest posts

Back