Tight Arse Stir Plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoops said:
What size flasks do you guys use?
I was thinking maybe getting a 500ml, 1L and 2L.
Also what size stir bars would you use with the coresponding flasks?

Anyone else in Brisbane know a Lab supply place with good prices?
Anyone else in Brisbane want to buy some of this stuff together? (erlenmeyers & stir bars)

Hoops
[post="54857"][/post]​

I'm up Hoops. Just did a yellow pages, and it looks like there is a good dozen supply places that would fit the bill.

Hoops - I started with a 1L , but its really too small, so I've got 2 3L ones which are perfect.

Because of the shape, boil-overs are really easy, so you wont be able to fill it to the volume - I usually go 2.5L in my 3L flask to allow plenty of head space in the top of the flask.

So probably a 1L & 3L then?
What about those that use slants? would a 500ml/250ml be good then?

I'm up Hoops. Just did a yellow pages, and it looks like there is a good dozen supply places that would fit the bill.
I've used 2 in Brisbane so far. Will have to get prices this week, just need to decide on sizes and qty.

Hoops

Hoops said:
What size flasks do you guys use?
I was thinking maybe getting a 500ml, 1L and 2L.
Also what size stir bars would you use with the coresponding flasks?
[post="54857"][/post]​

I have a 250ml, 1L and 2L. The 250 fits in my pressure cooker. The 2L won't fit in my dishwasher. At this stage I have no real reason to go to 3L, I previously made starters in 1.25L PET bottles and if the gain in yeast production claimed for a stirplate is fair dinkum, the 2L should be more than adequate.

I don't boil my wort in the flask generally (sometimes). I sterilise it in a pressure cooker the night before and I use other methods to sanitise/sterilise the flasks.

I have a 40mm stir bar which works ok in all of my flasks. I think the length is more a factor of the magnet spacing than the flask size (assuming it will fit).

I will be going back and buying a longer stir bar (my magnets are quite far apart) and also won't be bothering with the ring/pivot style. The only reason I can see for these is to drive you mad with the clunking that goes on every revolution.

Less than a day since I said "I have no need for anything bigger than 2L" I am looking for something bigger :eek:

Stirrer2LStarter18Hr.jpg

http://brewiki.org/StirPlate

Holy Sheet! Is that all krausen, or is it a combo of krausen and foam?

sosman
What about these bottles , I use them for my lager staters , 5lt
And they are only around $15.00
The bottom is slightly concave , this maybe a problem?

Batz

Holy shit that's impressive SOS!

I was thinking the same thing today Batz, I have a few of those bottles.
Will have to make the mag stirrer and give it a try I think.

Hoops

Batz said:
sosman
What about these bottles , I use them for my lager staters , 5lt
And they are only around $15.00
The bottom is slightly concave , this maybe a problem?

Batz
[post="54886"][/post]​

Batz

The bottles need to be flat bottom. I have tried using ones with a slight curve and they don't work. If you had strong enough magnets, you may get it to work.

That sight of overflowing flasks is common. Dunno what to use after a 2 litre flask. If anyone knows of some 3 or 4 litre flat bottom flasks, it would be appreciated.

Cheers
Pedro

Gulf Brewery said:
That sight of overflowing flasks is common. Dunno what to use after a 2 litre flask. If anyone knows of some 3 or 4 litre flat bottom flasks, it would be appreciated.
[post="54890"][/post]​

Pedro, Science Supply Australia have 3L jobbies. I figure, 3L is not going to make much difference. The conical shape almost ensures that once the foam starts, the moment you look away it has blown out. I am more inclined to fit a blow off tube into a sanitised flask.

As for the 4.5L demijons, I have a couple but as Pedro said, I think the concave inner surface is not your friend.

Big, expensive, thin-walled, glass vessels and a pissed bloke don't mix. Think of it as a really big hydrometer.

Another option is using a shaker plate or whatever they're called, and sticking a couple of marbles in it. As the plate shakes the marbles will keep the starter agitated, but in a gentler fashion than a stirrer. And it means you can use a concave-bottomed vessel too.

Hoops asked what size flasks do we all have.

I use a 100ml erlenmeyer for the first step from the petri dish. This fits in the pressure cooker. I also have a couple of 250ml which fit in the pressure cooker.

There are a couple of 1 litre flasks but they have sat in the cupboard for the last two years unused. There is also a 2 litre flask in there, waiting for the day the stir plate happens.

To make up a starter, I make 600ml of 1.040sg wort from water, DME and some Wyeast nutrient. 50ml of this goes into the 100ml flask, the rest is divided up between two 250ml flasks, cover the three flask openings with squares of foil and pressure cook for 25 minutes. Put the 250ml flasks somewhere safe. Add yeast to the 50ml wort, fit bung and airlock, when this is fermenting, transfer to 5litre demijohn with the contents of the other two flasks. This means the wort for the first two steps is sterile.

Most of my gear came from Livingstone.

So really you only need a 100ml erlenmeyer and a 5L demijon (250ml ones only used to sterilise wort)

Hmmm which ones to get then.......

jgriffin said:
Holy Sheet! Is that all krausen, or is it a combo of krausen and foam?
[post="54885"][/post]​
I am not sure of the distinction. It is very thick, creamy foam. There is no aeration going on as such, the stirrer is on quite slow.

I've refreshed your page this morning to catch the updates to the neat project. I'm really interested to see how much slurry you have generated when it all settles out.
I'm thinking this is a great way to make a larger quantity of yeast for my lagers, and allow me to just pitch the slurry.
I think I have an old PC fan in the shed and most of the other bits except for the magnets and a flat bottom flask. I think I'll be up to give it a go.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Doc

Doc said:
I've refreshed your page this morning to catch the updates to the neat project. I'm really interested to see how much slurry you have generated when it all settles out.
I'm thinking this is a great way to make a larger quantity of yeast for my lagers, and allow me to just pitch the slurry.
I think I have an old PC fan in the shed and most of the other bits except for the magnets and a flat bottom flask. I think I'll be up to give it a go.
Thanks for the inspiration.
[post="54963"][/post]​

I added a pic of the settled yeast just now. I want to check the pH and gravity of the wort to follow up on my misgivings about non-ideal starting conditions.

Give it a go - one of the easier projects you could take on.

sosman said:
I added a pic of the settled yeast just now. I want to check the pH and gravity of the wort to follow up on my misgivings about non-ideal starting conditions.

Wow that looks like a decent amount of slurry for 24 hours.
I think this will be a must for my lager starters.

Off to find magnets :lol:

Beers,
Doc

Maybe a coffee plunger pot would be suitable as a flat bottomed flask. So long as you are happy with the covering of some aluminium foil.

Has anyone found a good place to buy the rare earth magnets?

Batz

Batz, Jaycar in Perth have them and there is a place in Perth taht just sells magnets. I cant remember their name off hand but will look it up today and post it when I do

Cheers Ausdb

Latest posts

Back