Tight Arse Stir Plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmm - those glass govered ones look neat!

M

Doc said:
What a shame these guys aren't in Australia. Min order $100 though.
[post="55310"][/post]​
Doc - www.ssapl.com.au has stir bars from these guys (or at least the guy showed me the catalog). Today I bought a 60mm plain round one. Easy to clean, no pivot to drive you mad.

Hoops said:
Great stuff Sos.
Just spoke to the guy from Alpha Magnets and he said that they are not supposed to send the rare earth magnets through the mail, and normally courier bag them.
[post="55296"][/post]​
That makes sense. I reckon once the envelope stuck to the inside of the truck or mail box it would be tricky to get it off in once piece.

The price on the courier bag sounds a bit rich, I guess if you can arrange a group buy you'll be right.

Just a followup - after being in the fridge for 24 hours, the starter (slurry only) got pitched into a stout. Fired up in under 2 hours. Oh yes, I also cold pitched.

Just ordered the bits for my build. Scored a 120mm fan from work and have an old power supply at home.
Ordered some magnets, pot, switch and enclosure that I'll pickup tomorrow.
Ordered a couple of stir-bars from the place you recommended sosman. But jeez they kill you on the courier fee. $14.95 postage/courier fee from Melb to Sydney. They are also out of stock on the 50mm and 70mm stir bars. The lady I ordered with checked with their supplier and they had them in stock so should have mine in my hand probably mid week ( as it is a long brew weekend this weekend).
I checked my two growlers I got from the US on my last trip and they have flat bottoms. They are 1/2 gallon growlers so should be a good size for this application.

Doc

Doc you think thats bad ($15) i work live within 20min drive and its the same cost for me hence i just take a lunch time to go and grab bits.

hard to hand over $15 delivery when you are buying so little

I have another idea on this project.

I have used the 1.125litre Johnnie Walker bottles as a starter vessel in the past and have noticed that when you want to rouse the yeast you can do so easily by just spinning the bottle back and forth.
This is because these bottles are square and so you get heaps of turbulence in them just by rotation.

So I have just acquired (yet to be delivered though) a couple of those glass 5 litre whisky bottles that they dispense from at some bars. (they just throw them out!) I was going to use them for building up cultures to split and store but this thread got me thinking. You are all wanting more capacity and are worried about other vessels not having a flat bottom for the stir bar.

My thoughts are that these square 5 litre bottles could be used in the same way as the stir-plate but without the need for a piece of stuff in the vessel that you might tip into your fermentor. Why not just make a turn table for the bottle to sit on and either set it up to oscillate back and forward or even just put it on a timer to switch it on and off in the one direction every 30 seconds or so. Result would be constantly agitated starter wort. You can easy get a bung to fit these so I reckon it could work.

Once I get them I might gadget up my idea and report back. Ahh more gadgets.

Borret

I might just add, you can get stirring versions of erlenmyer flasks with 4 vertical ribs/dimples in the side that work the same way. So it's obviously not a new concept.

Borret

Borret said:
I have used the 1.125litre Johnnie Walker bottles as a starter vessel in the past and have noticed that when you want to rouse the yeast you can do so easily by just spinning the bottle back and forth.
[post="55451"][/post]​

Spin the bottle is probably nearly as old as beer itself.

If you span the bottle on it's end and tried to get it to stay upright I think you were missing the point of the game.

Here is the overclocked version:

StirrerClear.jpg

I knew someone would come up with a use for the cheap acrylic sheets I saw today. Nice work Sosman.

Boots

Where are the cheap acrylic sheets? I could use them for a few breing tasks.

Cheers
Pedro

Gulf Brewery said:
Where are the cheap acrylic sheets? I could use them for a few breing tasks.
[post="55506"][/post]​
I just picked mine up for nicks from the scrap bin at a local "point of sale" joint.

G'day all,

just wondering if i didn't have a fan and power supply lying around the place to use, what would be the cheapest option to get one?

Cheers

Dazzling

Gulfbrewery,

They were $4.95 for sheets about 30cm x 30cm roughly. (let me guess, I'm about to find out that that's not cheap?)

They were at Menzel Plastics just down the road from work.

Dazzling said:
G'day all,

just wondering if i didn't have a fan and power supply lying around the place to use, what would be the cheapest option to get one?

Cheers

Dazzling
[post="55642"][/post]​

The cheapest option would be to get a fan out of an old PC. See your IT department at work. They would probably have an old power supply kicking around off an external modem or similar device too.

Beers,
Doc

You've been a busy bee Sos. That looks really good. :D

vlbaby.

Dazzling said:
[post="55642"][/post]​
For the fan, rat an old PC power supply. You friendly local PC store probably chucks them out and quite often the fan is still ok.

For a power supply you will need to rig up some variable voltage - a simple circuit with a pot and 3 legged voltage reg powered from a plug pack should do it.

sosman said:
For a power supply you will need to rig up some variable voltage - a simple circuit with a pot and 3 legged voltage reg powered from a plug pack should do it.
[post="55798"][/post]​

I just used a plugpack and wired a 500 ohm pot in series. It saves all of the hassles trying to regulate power as it doesn't really need to be for the stirrer. I have checked all the maths and it is well within the rating for the pot for plugpacks up to 12 volt.

Cheers
Pedro

Latest posts

Back