This Explains A Lot...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STI - sexually transmitted infection...

:lol:
Where I work, everyone strives all year for a Short Term Incentive at performance review time.

"ATTENTION WORKERS - DO YOUR BEST AND WE'LL GIVE YOU AN STI" :blink:

Their equivalent of Tasman Bitter :icon_vomit:

Tasman bitter is actually pretty good megalager. Boags Draught by another name. At Christmas I cook a fair bit, usually about 2 days flat out in my non-airconditioned kitchen, and a slab of Tasman sees me thru every year. I find it to be a nice, thin, easy drinking lager with a trace of sherbet-like late hops. No off flavours or aromas, just a boring pale thin beer, which is what you need when slaving away in the heat. Unlike New, which has a horrible aroma, I assume from yeast mal-treatment. The Tooheys aroma is of a dirty tea towel or vomit.

The Tooheys aroma is of a dirty tea towel or vomit.
My Tooheys clone just isn't quite there yet. How much vomit were you guys adding to secondary? Also, my towels might not have been dirty enough.

Also if you visit the UK and expect to be treated in every pub to an endless feast of Abbots ale, London Pride etc you will be in for a profoundly disappointing experience. Most beer sold over there is actually 3.5% ABV crud like John Smiths smoothflow, Tetley smooth or so called lagers that taste like wet cardboard. Even a lot of the real ales can be rather feral if not looked after properly. I once spent a whole afternoon throwing up after a pint of a disgusting slop from the cask in Cornwall (St Austell ales) that had obviously gone way past its cask life.

Dunno what sort of blinkered view you have of pommy pubs Bribie. If you walk inot a big chain pub anywhere in the world its likley to have mainstream megaswill.

Walk into a real pub and you find real beer. It really is that simple in the old dart! Avoid Wetherspoons et al and you'll be fine.

Tasman bitter is actually pretty good megalager. Boags Draught by another name. At Christmas I cook a fair bit, usually about 2 days flat out in my non-airconditioned kitchen, and a slab of Tasman sees me thru every year. I find it to be a nice, thin, easy drinking lager with a trace of sherbet-like late hops. No off flavours or aromas, just a boring pale thin beer, which is what you need when slaving away in the heat. Unlike New, which has a horrible aroma, I assume from yeast mal-treatment. The Tooheys aroma is of a dirty tea towel or vomit.

+1 on the Tasman Bitter - it is a non-offensive, cheap megaswill... easy drinking...

My Tooheys clone just isn't quite there yet. How much vomit were you guys adding to secondary? Also, my towels might not have been dirty enough.

Rack thru a dirty towel filter. One towel per 10L should do. On brew day, drink as much TED as you can then chuck into primary.

Nah, this is too cruel. I've had decent New on tap a couple of times. My local bottlo used to mishandle their case beer, so everything in bottles from there was pretty foul, with the exception of Tasman.

Was drinking Carlton Draught with a bunch of mates a few weekends back. I was lagging behind all day - it just wouldnt go down without a fight. Took me 8 pots to catch up with them.

In some cases TEDs or pure blondes for example it not an inoffensive taste as IMO there is no taste. But in the case of the Carlton Draught it did have quite a strong taste and it was all wrong. that and it was served icy cold and fizzy making it damn hard to drink. It was the Tooleybuc hotel tho so the only other choice was Light Ice.

Was drinking Carlton Draught with a bunch of mates a few weekends back. I was lagging behind all day - it just wouldnt go down without a fight. Took me 8 pots to catch up with them.

In some cases TEDs or pure blondes for example it not an inoffensive taste as IMO there is no taste. But in the case of the Carlton Draught it did have quite a strong taste and it was all wrong. that and it was served icy cold and fizzy making it damn hard to drink. It was the Tooleybuc hotel tho so the only other choice was Light Ice.

Draught can be a pretty variable beast between pubs, there is a lot to be said for clean lines, temp and the speed at which they move through the kegs. A good draught can be VERY good... a bad draught can be VERY VERY bad...

ED: OT:

Can anyone confirm or deny that Tasman was once Boags Original, and is now Boags Draught?

Dunno what sort of blinkered view you have of pommy pubs Bribie. If you walk inot a big chain pub anywhere in the world its likley to have mainstream megaswill.

Walk into a real pub and you find real beer. It really is that simple in the old dart! Avoid Wetherspoons et al and you'll be fine.

Obviously a pommy blinkered view! I'm Yorkshire by birth and when I'm staying with the old Aunty in a charming little village near Barnsley there are ten or twelve pubs within five miles and not one of them serves anything other than John Smiths, Fosters shudder 3.5% so called lager and an assortment of smoothflow and keg ales that wouldn't blow your hat off if they were dynamite. All real pubs, some centuries old, full of real Yorkshiremen and not a handpump in sight. There was one pub near Doncaster I happened across that actually served a 5% lager.
My other family branch in Newcastle lives near a couple of pubs where the choice is Caffreys (similar to Kilkenny) and again the usual creamflow and smoothflow nitrokegs plus Fosters fosters and more fosters. I do have an oasis at Hexham serving Boddingtons, Theakston and Samuel Smith on handpump. The point I was making is that foreigners visiting the areas would go home with a disappointing view of pommy pubs.

ED: OT:

Can anyone confirm or deny that Tasman was once Boags Original, and is now Boags Draught?

I always thought that Tasman Bitter, due to it appearing and disappearing on the shelf regularly, was just excess Draught or Draught that failed quality control.

I'd be happy to completely ignore Tooheys and other crap beers. It's just that lately I seem to end up in situations where it would be very rude to not drink the free TED. A line will need to be drawn soon...

I always thought that Tasman Bitter, due to it appearing and disappearing on the shelf regularly, was just excess Draught or Draught that failed quality control.

LOL.

It's brewed by Boags under contract for LL. Just like Hammer and Tongs. I don't know enough about megalager to say which Boags beer it is, but it reminds me a lot of the bog standard Draught.

Obviously a pommy blinkered view! I'm Yorkshire by birth and when I'm staying with the old Aunty in a charming little village near Barnsley there are ten or twelve pubs within five miles and not one of them serves anything other than John Smiths, Fosters shudder 3.5% so called lager and an assortment of smoothflow and keg ales that wouldn't blow your hat off if they were dynamite. All real pubs, some centuries old, full of real Yorkshiremen and not a handpump in sight. There was one pub near Doncaster I happened across that actually served a 5% lager.
My other family branch in Newcastle lives near a couple of pubs where the choice is Caffreys (similar to Kilkenny) and again the usual creamflow and smoothflow nitrokegs plus Fosters fosters and more fosters. I do have an oasis at Hexham serving Boddingtons, Theakston and Samuel Smith on handpump. The point I was making is that foreigners visiting the areas would go home with a disappointing view of pommy pubs.

Does the % alc effect your view of beer? 3.5% OBs are sensational IMO and one of the reasons i started brewing again after a 8 year hiatus.

See your point. More Fosters on tap in the Uk than anything else.

Boddingtons is poo IMO. Megaswill without carb.

I lived in Durham, wasnt a single night out i couldnt, at the very least, get a pint of landlord altho i knew nothing of its reputation when living there. Most beers on handpull in the dozen or so pubs i frequented had guest beers on the handpull which changed weekly. 'Real ale' pubcrawls were not just boozy but oh so tasty. :icon_drool2:

Check out this quote from the natural beer site-

"We minimise foaming during brewing so that there is more foam left in the final beer."

:D

Does the % alc effect your view of beer? 3.5% OBs are sensational IMO and one of the reasons i started brewing again after a 8 year hiatus.

See your point. More Fosters on tap in the Uk than anything else.

Boddingtons is poo IMO. Megaswill without carb.

I lived in Durham, wasnt a single night out i couldnt, at the very least, get a pint of landlord altho i knew nothing of its reputation when living there. Most beers on handpull in the dozen or so pubs i frequented had guest beers on the handpull which changed weekly. 'Real ale' pubcrawls were not just boozy but oh so tasty. :icon_drool2:

Barry McKenzie sorted you Pommies out quicktime when he went over there in 1972 :D

staggalee.

LOL.

It's brewed by Boags under contract for LL. Just like Hammer and Tongs. I don't know enough about megalager to say which Boags beer it is, but it reminds me a lot of the bog standard Draught.

I just remember years ago, before Boags Draught existed, that there was a rumor that Tasman was just rebadged Boags Original, which I haven't seen or heard of for perhaps 15 years.. and now I just read the reference to the Draught, and it could explain why Tasman tastes so bad.

Does the % alc effect your view of beer? 3.5%
I appreciate the flavour alcohol adds to beer. I like the extra bite. I often find the 3.5% bitters too bland. Although, I've likely only tried "swill" when it comes to that style of beer. I should probably try to taste some decent examples.

Check out this quote from the natural beer site-

"We minimise foaming during brewing so that there is more foam left in the final beer."

:D
That caught my eye too. I read that as "we add antifoam to the boil and then foam-augmenting tetrahop at the filter" Could be wrong. Very odd statement to make though.

I think they're referring to the foam magic created during mashing, that needs to stay in the beer to make sure foam is right in the bottle :p

Latest posts

Back