This Explains A Lot...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendo

Tap-whore
Reaction score
My wife saw this in the women's toilet at a pub in Sydney on the weekend... explains a lot I think...

tooheys.jpg

I found it kinda amusing myself, so thought I would share...

Brendo

Yeah I can picture it....

Brother's standing at the urinal..... one looks down....."hmmmm that colour" he says.... "that aroma" says the other.......

Yeah I can picture it....

Brother's standing at the urinal..... one looks down....."hmmmm that colour" he says.... "that aroma" says the other.......

"Why bother mashing and fermenting, when we can sell that?"

I am just waiting for the one sap that will jump on and defend Tooheys, saying crap like, "they appeal to a huge market," "and they must be doing something right" the fact is its still crap beer!

I am just waiting for the one sap that will jump on and defend Tooheys, saying crap like, "they appeal to a huge market," "and they must be doing something right" the fact is its still crap beer!

They do appeal to a huge market. A huge market of beer drinkers who like drinking crap beer.

They do make crap beer consistently... :icon_cheers:

apparently.... Im proud to say ive never drank one!

Actually Tooheys Old isn't all that bad as a poker-machine-playing beer at the club. However all their light colour brews like TED and New are utter garbage. Until Alan Bond amalgamated Tooheys, Swan and XXXX the only way to get a Tooheys hereabouts was to take a trip down to Ballina or Tenterfield. On my NSW holidays I always preferred Tooths. They used to do a really good old that s&^t all over Tooheys Old. Shame eternal shame on Fosters for killing off Tooths.

Yeah, as it's been mentioned many times... the Tooheys old is definitely a winner when there's nothing better on tap. I'll even take it over Coopers Pale (too boring).

Funny poster :)

I must agree with u Trev, Old is great on tap but from the bottle its crap. Coopers Sparkling on tap is nice too!
But I would suspect even our worst on tap would compare well.

Oh great

Another megaswill is crap thread. I don't think we have had one this week

Kabooby :unsure:

I don't mind drinking a VB after a long day at work if I'm at the pub. It's generally very cheap, easy to drink after being in the sun and is somewhat refreshing. Plus when doing rounds, you can't exactly go "four VBs, two News, a XXXX and a Belgian Super Fantastic Wheat Craft Imported Monk Beer" it just doesn't work for the shout or for the wallet if you're planning on a huge session. So it's easier sticking to "normal" beers.

I am a regular drinker of megaswill - especially when I am out and about.

quite happy with a pint of carlton draught in my hand...

My first intention wasn't to start a megaswill bashing thread - just found the ad rather amusing given my opinion of Tooheys... that said, it was always going to be inevitable that bashing would be a by product.

Brendo

I like the beer that I brew, most of the time. I have some fave recipes that my family, mates and I appreciate. I also like a lot of beers that I have tried that other home brewers have made. Some I have thought were a bit ordinary, others with a whole lot more experience and knowledge have given a thumbs up to. I put that down to either it's not a style I like, or I just haven't broadened my tastes enough yet.

I remember as a young fellow, my old man gave me a taste of my first beer, I thought it was bitter tasting crapola... I guess a bit of peer pressure amongst other things, made me persevere and I can't quite actually remember when it was that I came to the point I actually liked the flavour of beer. But I love it now, and I have been lucky enough to begin the road of learning all about the complexities of it. I still don't mind remembering how I got here though, and I still enjoy... yes, I said enjoy an icy cold schooner of new at the pub if nothing else is on offer every now and then. It helps me remember where I started, where I am, and where I can get to if I keep my mind and tastes open....

I dont buy into the 'all megaswill is crap, down with the megaswill' mindset, sure it's not a craftbrewed beer made with passion and all things whoilesome in someone's backyard, but it has a place and does it's job. Vilifying it just because I make my own beer and believe its better than anything commercial is just closing my mind again, IMHO

I dont buy into the 'all megaswill is crap, down with the megaswill' mindset, sure it's not a craftbrewed beer made with passion and all things whoilesome in someone's backyard, but it has a place and does it's job. Vilifying it just because I make my own beer and believe its better than anything commercial is just closing my mind again, IMHO

++1

Well said, when I can't drink mine I'll drink commercial beer without any reservation. There are some I prefer over others, and some I don't like, exactly the same as home brew.

Andrew

I like the beer that I brew, most of the time. I have some fave recipes that my family, mates and I appreciate. I also like a lot of beers that I have tried that other home brewers have made. Some I have thought were a bit ordinary, others with a whole lot more experience and knowledge have given a thumbs up to. I put that down to either it's not a style I like, or I just haven't broadened my tastes enough yet.

I remember as a young fellow, my old man gave me a taste of my first beer, I thought it was bitter tasting crapola... I guess a bit of peer pressure amongst other things, made me persevere and I can't quite actually remember when it was that I came to the point I actually liked the flavour of beer. But I love it now, and I have been lucky enough to begin the road of learning all about the complexities of it. I still don't mind remembering how I got here though, and I still enjoy... yes, I said enjoy an icy cold schooner of new at the pub if nothing else is on offer every now and then. It helps me remember where I started, where I am, and where I can get to if I keep my mind and tastes open....

+ 1 for me to
best post all day

Back