This Explains A Lot...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Further to other comments, I applaud Lion Nathan for doing this.
Yes "we" all know that beer is about as natural manufactured product as you can get anyway but a lot of people seemingly did not. Do I drink Tooheys New, no, will I now, no, will I taste it to detect any difference, no, because there will not be any.
K

I find it hard to believe that they have ditched all of their processing aids, hop extracts, antifoams, yeast nutrients and enzymes.... man, there must be some empty pallet racking out there. Five ingredients... that's gotta be hogwash. How do they brew without gypsum?
Naturally tunnel pasteurised. Idiots. Glad I left.

Gypsum is a natural product. I am sure it is highly refined to make it food grade, but still natural. Gypsum Mining.

Pretty clever call asking about artificial kettle finings...but you fell for the genetically modified hops to stop skunking bit...what do they do, add snake genes...sorry but there are no genetically modified hops used in commercial beer in Australia, ever.
Pick any skyhooks up as well....

If thats the case than Why does the natural beer promise only apply to beers that come in darker bottles. How do breweries stop skunking in clear bottles such as TED and Corona? They cant claim the promise on Low carb beers because they add a dry enzyme. Oh yea can you pick me up a left handed screw driver while your at the market for me!

JJ

The beers will carry the words natural beer promise to indicate they are naturally brewed, contain only five ingredients (water, malted grains, yeast, cane sugar and hops), and are free of artificial additives and preservatives.
But they do say "free of artificial additives and preservatives".
If they use gypsum as a natural additive they technically haven't misled anyone.
It's a fine line but i'm no lawyer. :)

f
thats the case than Why does the natural beer promise only apply to beers that come in darker bottles. How do breweries stop skunking in clear bottles such as TED and Corona? They cant claim the promise on Low carb beers because they add a dry enzyme. Oh yea can you pick me up a left handed screw driver while your at the market for me!

Easy, you have already told us..genetically modified hops..(I thought it was something else, but then I was not at the sales meeting). Do they add dry enzyme..and what would that enzyme be (or is it just like a powder and not a liquid) and is it synthetic or natural...the list goes on.

Lion Nathan clearly are not concerned about taking a couple of minor adjuncts out of their beers, the anti-mega-swill lobby though seem concerned perhaps???

If thats the case than Why does the natural beer promise only apply to beers that come in darker bottles. How do breweries stop skunking in clear bottles such as TED and Corona? They cant claim the promise on Low carb beers because they add a dry enzyme. Oh yea can you pick me up a left handed screw driver while your at the market for me!

JJ

I believe that the big boys are using malt made from barley varieties that are genetically modified to limit the amount of heat sensitive amylase enymes. Thus these malts produce a 'dry' beer. I am pretty sure that there is no dry enzymes added to the mash. We need a malt guru like Wes to clarify this, but I remember a few years ago (06 ish) when these malts were first released that there was a lot of excitement. Soon afterwards the current wave of 'dry' low carb beers started to hit the market.

This whole natural hype gives me the shits. When did human endeavor stop being 'natural' and start being 'artificial'? Have we outsmarted nature?

Artificial is interpreted in two ways.

You can artificially enhance flavour using natural ingredients.
It not like you are really using Banana in Banana flavoured product but it is still classified as a natural product.

An artificial ingredient is an ingredient that is not naturally existing under current earthly conditions but manufactured by using natural ingredients.

If I haven't lost you yet you are doing well at this hour.

The media has changed the the consumer perception by putting fear in them by saying some artificial coulour and flavour are no good for you.
The manufacturer then substitute the previous substance with natural ingredients but little research has been done if all this new natural substances have any derogatory affects upon consumption.

Now if I brew an all grain beer and absolutely put no additives in. What is there to say that who ever supplied me with the grain didn't add minerals and/or other unatural adjunct to the soil to ensure a good harvest in the first place.

In the end this won't matter once we have used up all the earth resources.
I drink to that hmmm Once I am off work of course

Byt the way I drink Tooheys, VB, Carlton,Castlemaine, Vodka, Bourbon, whisky, Scotch, Brandy, Cognac, Ouzo.

Lets concentrate on brewing our own beers again.... :p

This whole natural hype gives me the shits. When did human endeavor stop being 'natural' and start being 'artificial'? Have we outsmarted nature?
:icon_offtopic: It's like the various products that state "Chemical free" on them when water is a chemical!!!

Natural
Organic
Chemical free

these buzzwords have to be the biggest load of crap. I shudder whenever i see the word organic on something like potatoes.

its a shitty buzz word that everyone seems to froth over and you very rarely see an explanation as to what is so much more 'organic' about the natural product you are buying.

its a shitty buzz word that everyone seems to froth over and you very rarely see an explanation as to what is so much more 'organic' about the natural product you are buying.

From what I can gather the only difference is the fact that "organic" products, especially veggies, don't use things like pesticides (sp?) and I suppose for things like meat they wouldn't feed the animal things with grownth hormones in it or shit like that. I have to admit though, organic veggies are much nicer that the crap you buy at coles these days

Natural
Organic
Chemical free

these buzzwords have to be the biggest load of crap. I shudder whenever i see the word organic on something like potatoes.
I once read a blurb from a chemist about 'organic salt' and as there is no carbon in salt it is inorganic. It is fun watching the way language gets twisted to suit agendas. POX became vulgar so then there was VD, VD became vulgar so now there is STD. Whats next?

I once read a blurb from a chemist about 'organic salt' and as there is no carbon in salt it is inorganic. It is fun watching the way language gets twisted to suit agendas. POX became vulgar so then there was VD, VD became vulgar so now there is STD. Whats next?

STI - sexually transmitted infection...

Tooheys new and Tooheys Old are the only two Tooheys branded beers covered by the "Natural beer promise". TED will be just as rank and isomerised as ever. http://www.naturalbeer.com.au/content.php
Oh, that's good. They do mention the salt additions to the water and the silica hydrogel and pvpp used for haze stability. I would still be surprised to learn that they've ditched the enzymes, the yeast food, the antifoam and the tetralone, but would applaud the initiative if they have.

No crap thread is complete without a poll :icon_chickcheers:

Actually although we whinge about Aussie Megabeer it's actually a lot better than they have to put up with in many parts of the world. Have you seriously ever tried to drink a six pack of genuine imorted Coors or Budweiser or Millers? They are sad excuses for beers. Also if you visit the UK and expect to be treated in every pub to an endless feast of Abbots ale, London Pride etc you will be in for a profoundly disappointing experience. Most beer sold over there is actually 3.5% ABV crud like John Smiths smoothflow, Tetley smooth or so called lagers that taste like wet cardboard. Even a lot of the real ales can be rather feral if not looked after properly. I once spent a whole afternoon throwing up after a pint of a disgusting slop from the cask in Cornwall (St Austell ales) that had obviously gone way past its cask life.

On topic, Tooheys is IMHO a rather nasty beer but that apart, at least you know that wherever you go in Australia you have access to a range of full strength beers served very consistently and at a reasonable price compared to internationally ($3 a schooner for domestics at my RSL or $4 a pint). Also the bottled and canned versions are fairly identical to the tap versions. In the UK they mostly drink fourpacks of 500ml cans bought from supermarkets and (apart from the premium sector such as Stella) these are generally brewed down to a price and are pretty ordinary contract slop rebadged for the supermarket chains in pretty looking cans. Their equivalent of Tasman Bitter :icon_vomit:

Latest posts

Back