This Explains A Lot...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife saw this in the women's toilet at a pub in Sydney on the weekend... explains a lot I think...

View attachment 21707

I found it kinda amusing myself, so thought I would share...

Brendo

What I really want to know is, have those QR Codes finally escaped Japan and made their way to Australian phones now? I didn't realise there were any phones on the market here that supported them. Those things are awesome.. well, unless they send you to tooheys.com.au.

Edit: so... er, going by that poster, does that make those Tooheys brothers 'piss heads' ?

I remember as a young fellow, my old man gave me a taste of my first beer, I thought it was bitter tasting crapola... I guess a bit of peer pressure amongst other things, made me persevere and I can't quite actually remember when it was that I came to the point I actually liked the flavour of beer. But I love it now, and I have been lucky enough to begin the road of learning all about the complexities of it. I still don't mind remembering how I got here though, and I still enjoy... yes, I said enjoy an icy cold schooner of new at the pub if nothing else is on offer every now and then. It helps me remember where I started, where I am, and where I can get to if I keep my mind and tastes open....

I dont buy into the 'all megaswill is crap, down with the megaswill' mindset, sure it's not a craftbrewed beer made with passion and all things whoilesome in someone's backyard, but it has a place and does it's job. Vilifying it just because I make my own beer and believe its better than anything commercial is just closing my mind again, IMHO
+2

I recall 'earning my wings' on the likes of New and VB, before moving onto TED's, then moving onto 'green bottles', and then beyond...
Having to deal with drinking 'megaswill' beer is part of growing up.
I couldn't imagine enjoying beer nearly as much as I do now if I hadn't spent my mid-to-late teen years downing bucketloads of cheap piss. Once you can deal with that kind of beer you can appreciate how nice well-made beers really are...but it's hard to go back! :icon_vomit:

Oh yeah...off topic rant! :icon_offtopic: Sorry!

Tooheys Beers are all-natural.
Trust me.
It is the new call.

K

Trust me.
It is the new call.

K

Brewer Lion Nathan today launched a multi-million-dollar summer advertising push to promote its biggest beer brands, including XXXX Gold, Tooheys New and West End Draught, as “natural” beers.

The beers will carry the words “natural beer promise” to indicate they are “naturally brewed”, contain only five ingredients (water, malted grains, yeast, cane sugar and hops), and are free of artificial additives and preservatives.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...1-17061,00.html

and my favourite from the article,

Independent brewer Matt Donelan, a one-time Tooheys brewer who now owns the St Peters boutique brewery, said calling the beers “natural” was a misnomer.

“You can't unnaturally make beer,” Mr Donelan said. “It's a microbiological process. Every beer could be called natural.

“Snake venom's natural, but you don't want to drink it,” he said.

:D

Did the blokes who invented Coke also come up with the idea whilst on the can as well?

They were likely too busy chewing Coca leaves... which btw are very nice, if you can find them.

Or snorting something off a toilet seat...

Trust me.
It is the new call.

I was at a sales meeting when they launched this concept and tried to stump them with a few questions. I thought I was a real smartaarse when i asked will you be using any artificial finnings in your kettle? Straight away the brewer presenting perked up and said ahh we have a home brewer in our midst. The answer was only natural finnings are used. Indeed they have replaced caramel flavour with crystal malt and genetically modified hops with real hops. I never new their was such a beast as genetically modified hops. Companies use them in place of real hops to stop skunking in clear bottles.

Cheers,

JJ

Is 'finnings' some kind of thinning agent pronounced with a hair lip, or a new clearing agent from Bunnings NZ?

Is 'finnings' some kind of thinning agent pronounced with a hair lip, or a new clearing agent from Bunnings NZ?

This post has been edited by schooey: Today, 06:37 PM

Wow you must of won the spelling bee!

Well there's no point being a self-professed smart arse if you can't document the occasion correctly now is there?... ;)

Trust me.
It is the new call.

K

LOL ......oh yes?
You`re the same bloke that made that post about power "leaking" in the "outragous power bill" thread and was informed it sounded like bullshit, from memory? :lol:

staggalee.

I find it hard to believe that they have ditched all of their processing aids, hop extracts, antifoams, yeast nutrients and enzymes.... man, there must be some empty pallet racking out there. Five ingredients... that's gotta be hogwash. How do they brew without gypsum?

Naturally tunnel pasteurised. Idiots. Glad I left.

Five ingredients... that's gotta be hogwash. How do they brew without gypsum?
Good point Dig!
Alot of the brewers on this forum seem to use more than these mystical natural 5 (should be 4!) ingredients.
Be interesting to see there is any noticable change in these Tooheys beers as a result.

Agree with Dig...seen the Mega Brew process...makes you cry to see them slaughter a good beer in the the name of brewing for the masses.

Pretty clever call asking about artificial kettle finings...but you fell for the genetically modified hops to stop skunking bit...what do they do, add snake genes...sorry but there are no genetically modified hops used in commercial beer in Australia, ever.
Pick any skyhooks up as well....

K

there's a good doco on the discovery channel about how Budweiser makes its brews, it's pretty amazing to watch. it's available on google if you search that plus t*rrent ;)

from the article linked above:

"To be honest I'm not sure if there's a specific directive given around (the use of the term) natural," company spokeswoman Lauren O'Neil said.

"The (campaign) website will set out the benchmark for what natural means to us."

:lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back