Third time lucky ginger beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brugomiller

Reaction score
Ive brewed three ginger beers, first two were watery and horrible. My most recent batch I decided to do a bit of research first, stumbled across the powder keg recipe that was posted a while back. Just got it in the fermenter tonight, the recipe is as follows:

Morgan's ginger beer
1kg dextrose
300gm dark brown sugar
300gm light dry malt
300gm fresh ginger
1 Birdseye chilli
1 buderims ginger refresher
700ml sweet vermouth

Peeled ginger and the put in processor with chilli and vermouth, soaked for 24 hours. Boiled 4 litres of water, ginger/ vermouth and fermentables for 30minutes. Pitched US-04 - OG 1.040. Looking forward to see how it turns out in a couple of weeks, I’ve read good things!!!
image.jpg

Looks good Brugo. I have been considering trying a ginger beer now I have got my brewhouse sorted. Like the idea of fresh chillie, never tried vermouth. Thats a cocktail base is it not!
Please let us know how it turns out.

I do this recipe regularly.
I use 500g ginger and 600ml vermonth (cinzano) and 600ml sweet sherry
I personally don't peel or boil the ginger. I just chuck it in the processor then soak it. I put the ginger and chili in a bag and in the fermenter. Love this drink. Usually have some on tap at all times. Out at the moment because the morgans kit has been impossible to buy around here for a few weeks. Hopefully arriving in stock today.

Edit: and i use the kit yeast with dry enzyme

I tried it straight from the fermenter today, honestly, it’s more than I could have hoped for! Tastes similar to a ginger kid. Excellent!

I tried it straight from the fermenter today, honestly, it’s more than I could have hoped for! Tastes similar to a ginger kid. Excellent!
@Brugomiller How did this one turn out in the end?

Getting hassled at home about making something wife friendly for the summer. :)

I do this recipe regularly.
I use 500g ginger and 600ml vermonth (cinzano) and 600ml sweet sherry
I personally don't peel or boil the ginger. I just chuck it in the processor then soak it. I put the ginger and chili in a bag and in the fermenter. Love this drink. Usually have some on tap at all times. Out at the moment because the morgans kit has been impossible to buy around here for a few weeks. Hopefully arriving in stock today.

Edit: and i use the kit yeast with dry enzyme
Sweet sherry & vermouth .................. that's a new twist, where did you come up with that?
I have made a few GB brews, all turned out OK. I like a strong ginger flavour so I process ginger root then freeze it in ice cube trays until needed. Chilli is often recommended but how do you control which chilli, how much etc? PS always use yeast nutrient.

Lol. I just used anything fortified really and easy to get.
Starting to get bloody expensive to make. Ginger around here is about $50/kg
I just use what ever chili i have laying around. I tend to make double batches so 2 large red chillies as a rule. I use the nutrient that comes with the kits. It's done the job so far

Queensland typical Ginger price is about $25, seen it a low as$16.
When the price is right & the ginger looks in good nick I buy as much as 2 KG at a time.
Wife who knows about all sorts of stuff takes over & "processes"; then into freezer in ice cube containers, then into plastic bag with most air sucked out. It lasts for ages like that & always ready when you want it.
It's not real GB unless it grabs your throat on the way down.

Prices in wa were about 25 a kilo before the bushfires over east. Don't know if that was the reason but the price shot up around that time. If i see it at 16 a kilo is buy a but load!

Cheapest way I've found is at one of those Vegetable bulk buy type shops in Shopping centres, (not Coles or Woolies).

The ones where they do glad-wrapped trays and buckets and 2kg jars of Sauerkraut etc

Ginger will often be in 400g or so servings on polystyrene trays. Can work out around $12 p/kilo

Unfortunately I'm in regional wa. Don't really get those type of stores. I know the ones you mean though. But even spud shed was 45 a kilo last time i was in there. I'll be in perth next weekend so I'll have a look around

Unfortunately I'm in regional wa. Don't really get those type of stores. I know the ones you mean though. But even spud shed was 45 a kilo last time i was in there. I'll be in perth next weekend so I'll have a look around
i got 700gm from spudshed the other day at $38/K (coles was $49/K)
quality wasn't great though.
500gm is in a powderkeg and i've saved 2 big pieces to plant.
I use the nutrient that comes with the kits. It's done the job so far
my powderkeg is slow to take off, didn't use the nutrient sachet.
is there anything else i could add after 2 days to get things going? (DAP maybe)

my powderkeg is slow to take off, didn't use the nutrient sachet.
is there anything else i could add after 2 days to get things going? (DAP maybe)
If you have the nutrient packet from the morgans kit id chuck it in. I don't use dap so not sure. I have a yeast nutrient from my lhbs that i use in beers but it's a blend, of what I'm not sure but it works

"I found out that 500g ginger , grated gives about 300mls juice, so I should have enough for 3 brews. I will report."
Well my experience is quite different - I don't think you will ever get 3 (23 litre?) GB brews from a mere 500g.
Maybe you are happy with a less intense taste. I want a real ginger bite when I drink home brewed GB.

Well my experience is quite different - I don't think you will ever get 3 (23 litre?) GB brews from a mere 500g.
Maybe you are happy with a less intense taste. I want a real ginger bite when I drink home brewed GB.
He didn't say that. The bottle is about 1 litres. If he gets 300ml from 500g then you would get about 3 batches out of a litre bottle

Back