Ginger beer + extras

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troycookie

Reaction score
I am new to homerewing but just started drinking my first Ginger beer today. Pretty happy with the results for a half batch with Brigalow kit, see: newbie thread Newbie from the Tropics
But now for my second batch which I am putting down today.

Ingredients
Full tin Morgan's Ginger Beer
1kg Goodies pack (Dextrose, Corn Syrup, Malt)
500g Dark brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 lemons sliced
250gm fresh ginger
1 birdeye chilli
2 Star Anise
4 Cardarmon pods
5 Cloves
750ml Buderim Ginger Cordial

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Looks good let us know how it turns out.

Love ginger beer would love to hear how it goes.
Yeah I love ginger beer also.

I kegged it for 2 days and it turned out fantastic. 23l only lasted two weeks with heap of mates enjoying a few with me.
Had nice body and the additional spices were there but not too prominent. Suprisingly the chili gave it a nice little bite to the end, probably could handle another one but I like the little hint. SG was 1032 and FG 1000.

I just put down another batch 2 days ago but replaced the lemons with lime, added 1kg brown sugar instead and added a teaspoon of vanilla essence.

SG 1038.

im fairly new to brewing and just put on a brigalows kit with about 450g of fresh ginger, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 2 cinnamon sticks (uncrushed). Brewing in a pressure fermenter with 1 kg malt sugar and 1kg of #15 booster blend. Im a bit chicken to try the chillies yet but will update on how this one goes in 4-6 weeks.
Wish me luck!!!

Yeah I love ginger beer also.

I kegged it for 2 days and it turned out fantastic. 23l only lasted two weeks with heap of mates enjoying a few with me.
Had nice body and the additional spices were there but not too prominent. Suprisingly the chili gave it a nice little bite to the end, probably could handle another one but I like the little hint. SG was 1032 and FG 1000.

I just put down another batch 2 days ago but replaced the lemons with lime, added 1kg brown sugar instead and added a teaspoon of vanilla essence.

SG 1038.
Hi Troy, does your GB contain alcohol?

Thanks Troy, the alcohol part doesn't really worry me I wanted to make a sweet carbonated ginger beer (alcoholic or not) in the bottle by using the natural yeast carbonation, but I don't think it is possible to make it sweet this way without back sweetening and to do this I have to use non-fermentable sweetners such as erythritol which I have used in Apple cider with success. However that was in low quantities, but there wasn't any unpleasant aftertaste. I'm now thinking of making the GB and bottling as normal, which will make it come out dry then on pouring adding some GB cordial to sweeten to taste. What do you or any one else think?
I seem to have two threads going so I'll try to bring them both together to this one rather than keep doubling up.

I have posted the following on the other thread.

"Hmm Sour J, I was wondering about going down NattyJ's path and adding GB cordial, (to taste), after pouring, this might solve my dilemma and maybe your sourness issue.
Thanks Luxo, I may well go down the path of a small batch first. but am leaning toward an alcoholic dry GB then adding the cordial but want more feedback on the outcome. I'm also interested in various recipes using fresh ginger I likeJon 54's above but would like to substitute the cordial for sugar so am looking at advice on quantities.
I'm on two threads at the moment and was hoping to bring them together so if you guys don't mind can we continue discussions on the thread "Ginger beer + extras" I appreciate your help."

Last edited:
Thanks Troy, the alcohol part doesn't really worry me I wanted to make a sweet carbonated ginger beer (alcoholic or not) in the bottle by using the natural yeast carbonation, but I don't think it is possible to make it sweet this way without back sweetening and to do this I have to use non-fermentable sweetners such as erythritol which I have used in Apple cider with success. However that was in low quantities, but there wasn't any unpleasant aftertaste. I'm now thinking of making the GB and bottling as normal, which will make it come out dry then on pouring adding some GB cordial to sweeten to taste. What do you or any one else think?
I seem to have two threads going so I'll try to bring them both together to this one rather than keep doubling up.

I have posted the following on the other thread.

"Hmm Sour J, I was wondering about going down NattyJ's path and adding GB cordial, (to taste), after pouring, this might solve my dilemma and maybe your sourness issue.
Thanks Luxo, I may well go down the path of a small batch first. but am leaning toward an alcoholic dry GB then adding the cordial but want more feedback on the outcome. I'm also interested in various recipes using fresh ginger I likeJon 54's above but would like to substitute the cordial for sugar so am looking at advice on quantities.
I'm on two threads at the moment and was hoping to bring them together so if you guys don't mind can we continue discussions on the thread "Ginger beer + extras" I appreciate your help."
I have used Buderim Ginger cordial to backsweeten in a keg for my ginger beer if it comes out too dry. The Morgans Ginger beer kit has an artificial sweetener which makes it sweet but I am not liking the flavour anymore and want to experiment some more. I want to try this pre made wort from Hoppy Days - Hoppy Days Ginger Beer Kit - GINGER EXTREME - Hoppy Days Brewing Supplies

Another thing I have been doing of late is making hard seltzer and using Buderim Ginger cordial as a mixer. Tastes great!

I have used Buderim Ginger cordial to backsweeten in a keg for my ginger beer if it comes out too dry. The Morgans Ginger beer kit has an artificial sweetener which makes it sweet but I am not liking the flavour anymore and want to experiment some more. I want to try this pre made wort from Hoppy Days - Hoppy Days Ginger Beer Kit - GINGER EXTREME - Hoppy Days Brewing Supplies

Another thing I have been doing of late is making hard seltzer and using Buderim Ginger cordial as a mixer. Tastes great!
Hi mate,
I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and put it down last Sunday. I didn't do anything special to it as I wanted to just see what it was like without adding anything to it. I figured that it will give me a good base to work from and then add to next batch. Will let you know how it goes!

Hmmmmmmmm, Hard seltzer, something else to think about.:bowdown:
This is my hard seltzer recipe if ya want.

Ingredients
19L Spring water
2.5 kg white sugar
20g yeast nutrient
4g Calcium Carbonate
10g 1118 Yeast (Champagne)

Or

Ingredients
16L filtered tap water
2kg Dextrose
15g yeast nutrient
7g Calcium Carbonate
514 NQ Ale Yeast

This is my hard seltzer recipe if ya want.

Ingredients
19L Spring water
2.5 kg white sugar
20g yeast nutrient
4g Calcium Carbonate
10g 1118 Yeast (Champagne)

Or

Ingredients
16L filtered tap water
2kg Dextrose
15g yeast nutrient
7g Calcium Carbonate
514 NQ Ale Yeast
thanks TC, brilliant. Is it the same process as making beer or cider eg., let ferment then bottle carb?

Back