Think I've Just Ruined My First Ag.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschippr

Reaction score
Hi,

So i did my first AG today and got it into the fermenter from the plate chiller. I noticed that i couldnt get the temp down to 24 and my batch quantity was 22.3L instead of 24L.

So stupid me added 1.7L of cold water. Did i just ruin the batch by adding nasties?

I havn't pitched the yeast yet because the temp is still 28 on the fermenter..

HELP!

MARK.

I wouldn't sweat it too much - it should be alright.

Ideally you would use cooled boiled water but I don't think you'll have any problems.

Wait for the temp to drop to pitching temps then add your yeast.

Hope it all goes well

cliffo

I bet it will be fine,next time leave it be.

And if that's your only problem on your first AG you've done extremly well :beerbang:

Batz

if you want it to hurry up and drop to pitching temps, about 2 hours ago I filled my bath with cold water and sat the fermenter in there. It dropped within 2 hours and just pitched now.

waste of water, but easy way to bring temps down easily and quickly :)

You will be fine and I agree with Batz that 1.7l off your target volume on your first AG is something to be proud of.

Next time you may want to consider no-chill, it really takes the stress out of the end of the brew day atmo.

cheers

grant

Well thats not so bad then.. Thought i just wasted my entire day and grain bill..

I did a Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale. I think i could have gotten another half litre out of the pot if i tilted it a bit, ah well. Next time.

Mschipper,

My first batch everything went wrong and it tasted great .

I thought It must get better than this if i do everthing right

they add cold water to kits dont they ?

Pumpy

I add cold water all the time, I put the fermenter straight under the garden tap it's really good for airation, never had a problem. :beer:

I've topped up with cold water a couple of times - I figure I used to do it with kits/extract so it shouldn't wreck anything. That said, if you're only 1.7L off first up, you probably won't be needing to top up again! My first AG was a complete shambles but after a couple of weeks in the bottle it turned out to be a pretty good beer.

How did the bag hold up?

Thanks champs, now i can sleep at night. ;)

I got the fermenter down to pitching temp 22/24ish and did the OG reading 1.065.. is that good or bad for a 24L batch?

Yeasties are in now, so i guess we just wait and see.

Thanks again,
MARK.

Depending on how many dextrins / fermentables are in there 1065 should get an entire shift of Welsh miners pissed for a weekend.

Like previous poster said, when doing kits you happily pour in litres of good old tap water with no problems, a couple of litres with an AG shouldn't harm at all.

I think i need to revisit my OG reading. The hydrometer is calibrated to 20 degrees so i need to adjust that number a bit. It was either 1065 or 1055, first time ive had to read one of those things.

Have a good day.. Monday.. BOOO!

Well, i gave the brew a quick taste test as it is almost finished fermenting (Saturday this week) and i think everything is ok. Tastes pretty nice too, cant wait to get it bottled so i can really give it a test drive.

I bought a tempmate and used an old bar fridge i had in my shed to keep the temp around 18-20 degrees. Good thing i bought it too. 40 something degrees today in Adelaide.

Hi Mark,
Dr Smurto's James Squire Golden Ale is a house brew at my place & is on tap at all times. I often miss my target volumes or get better than expected efficiency & add cold water straight from the tap often achieving 25 litres into fermenter instead of a 23 batch. Never had a problem doing this as yet. I would double check that OG reading as 1.065 or 1.055 is a little on the high side. According to my recipe, my OG target is 1.048 & should finish at 1.012 giving you 4.69%. If you started at 1.055 & finished up at 1.012 you are gunna be sitting on 5.6%. You could of got away with adding a bit more water to bring it down a tad. It sounds as though you achieved a good efficiency with those OG readings. Well done mate.
Now get rid of those bottles & start kegging.
Cheers,
Brian

I think kegging would be much easier but the missus would not like me spending even more money on my setup than i already have. ;) Not in the short term anyway.

The missus keeps saying that this batch of beer cost us over $700. hehe (including all the equipment) ... They just dont understand...

Think i need to make a ginger beer or cider to change her mind. ;)

Thanks,
MARK.

remind her a box of stubbies of crap beer is $40 for 8 liters....

Just realized beer is dearer than petrol.... why aren't we marching in the streets about that?

I think kegging would be much easier but the missus would not like me spending even more money on my setup than i already have. ;)

Just advise her as to how much time kegging will save you compared to bottlng...time that can be spent with her, seeing to her needs, giving her attention.....(well of course not. You'll spend that extra time on AHB or watching the cricket. But she's not to know that, is she? Trust me, I know women...I've been maried enough times. :lol: )

I think kegging would be much easier but the missus would not like me spending even more money on my setup than i already have. ;)

Some reverse psychology sometimes works. Because I am way behind with my conditioning / maturing schedule I arrived home today with a carton of Bavaria and the Mrs wasn't convinced until I took her on a tour of the brewery, pointed out the vessels in primary and secondary, the still cloudy bottles in the conditioning queue.... "Well you'll just have to brew a lot more".
Yes dear. B)

Trust me, I know women...I've been maried enough times. :lol: )
I have been married for 39 years
To a number of women.

Back