First time poster, long time brewer...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy,
Been brewing one and off for over 20 years, probably close to 40 batches of extract/partial mash, and maybe 10 batches AG.
Current setup is
Grainfather S40, brewing enough to fit a 9L keg.
Batch sparge.
(According to Brewfather, current mash efficiency >85%)
Immersion chiller.
Dry yeasts.
15L plastic fermenter.
Closed transfer to keg (forced carb).
This fits my current lifestyle/available space (long term plan to look closer at fermentation temp control, space permitting).
I generally brew ales, leaning towards malt over hops (if you see me posting that I'm brewing an IIPA/XPA I've either been hacked or someone owes me a big favour).
AG batches so far that have been well received include sessions ales using kveik, a slightly hoppy US-style amber ale, and an old ale.
Currently fermenting a porter. currently drinking a 70/- that was supposed to be an 80/- but the Lallemand Windsor knocked off early.

Welcome to AHB, hope you get a lot out of this place.

If you want Windsor to do its thing properly you need to pitch about 1g/L of wort, otherwise it can get a bit fussy.
Sometimes "Rousing" it helps, I would prefer to put the fermenter on a table and slide it around in a circle until you get the brew moving, over using a spoon (less chance of an infection). Windsor isn’t happy about sudden temperature changes either. Nottingham is another good yeast and a lot easier to work with than Windsor.
Mark

Welcome to AHB, hope you get a lot out of this place.

If you want Windsor to do its thing properly you need to pitch about 1g/L of wort, otherwise it can get a bit fussy.
Sometimes "Rousing" it helps, I would prefer to put the fermenter on a table and slide it around in a circle until you get the brew moving, over using a spoon (less chance of an infection). Windsor isn’t happy about sudden temperature changes either. Nottingham is another good yeast and a lot easier to work with than Windsor.
Mark
Thanks for this!. Yeah I tried the rousing, gave the tub a decent rocking (am also not one to go opening things if I don't have to), and also did a diacetyl rest raising it up to about 22 degrees for a couple of days after it had at least 5 at around 18. It got me an extra couple of points. I kept things within the recommended range for Windsor. As I'm only putting about 11L into the fermenter, the single pack should have me about right for 1g/L.

Mashed for 60min at 68, which on the S40 can be anywhere between 66-68 it seems, so would have thought I'd have a decent amount of fermentables (grist was 85% golden promise, OG 1.048).

I rehydrated to instructions, and pitched it at about 16 allowing it to raise the temp on its own. The final beer tastes awesome, just a little under strength for what I was shooting for.

I've done the Windsor/Nottingham mix on an EOB and it was delicious, but for this one I was looking for more esters/dark fruit. The inspiration was Mosaik Brewing's 80/-

So it just sounds like I did the right things, but this time it didn't want to play. Happy with the result, even if it missed a few targets.

I used windsor in a porter recently and being that i use our downstairs laundry as a brewery and it gets quite cold in a Melbourne winter i used a heat belt and insulated bubble wrap to maintain temp, it was sluggish to start until i turned off the heat then it took off.
OG 1.056 FG 1.010.

Latest posts

Back