Things I Have Leart From Home Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like Rice in my beers.
you can never have too many spec malts.

Would have thought that you learned how to ruin your taste bubs with your hoppiness LRJ! :p

Pretty much, I've ruined it for commercial pale ales.

however, they are quite fine for lagers, pils, Aussie Ale (had a CPA the other day), and anything else.

Further to my comment above (being serious for a moment), I wrote a massive debrief on my latest beer, as to why it didn't work, what I reckon I did wrong, went back to BJCP guidelines for some research to help this out.

Figured out why it all didn't quite come together. Don't get me wrong, I still have a (now half) keg of drinkable beer - but drinkable ain't the benchmark I use anymore.

Goomba

I have also learnt 10 wrong ways of doing things for every way that works out

1. The kitchen accessories section of a supermarket all of a sudden takes on a whole new significance.
Wait until your next stay in a hospital! Stainless steel everywhere, sterilized containers left and right, all kinds of pumps.

1. To hover over links before clicking them, unless you want a more lot great pishab.

:lol: you have made our internet browsing much more labour intensive pricko!

I have learned that this "cheap" beer making business can become quite expensive when the G.A.S kicks in :ph34r:

lol i will never look at a breast pump again....

things i have learnt...

1. no such thing as stupid question only stupid people....

2. brigalow make some fairly crappy kits and some of there gear (caps, wands, bottle cappers and airlocks) is okay.

3. Silo ted has a man crush on ross from craft brewer.

4. bribie g loves the bag

5. its too easy to make shit beer but it will still taste better then xxxx gold

I have learnt if the brew day seems to have run smoothly something has definately gone wrong! :icon_drool2:

Don't brew in thongs. Wort can blister.

Worst brew day ever. Should have packed up before the boil. :( :(

1. You can save money homebrewing
  2. Don't add up how much you have spent on stuff....

Haha I already filled a whole thread on the things I learnt from my first all grain brew but 2 things I've learnt from home brewing would have to be:

1. Eating is not cheating, it's actually a necessity if you insist on sinking pints from 9 AM on a brew day (This was the main thing I took out of that first AG)

2. Homebrewing will turn you into a bit of a beer snob (I now only enjoy drinking at about 4 of the many pubs in town because of the beers they have on tap)

How great beer actually is and it's importance in our history.

1. There is always more things you need to buy for brewing no matter how much stuff you think you have.

2. People throw out some awesome things in hard rubbish.

Two things:

1: Most people wouldn't know good a beer if it inserted itself into their rectal cavity... while still in the bottle.

2: You often don't feel like brewing when you get home at 1am from your shift at the pub!

Cheers - boingk

1. I haven't had a question yet that hasn't already been answered somewhere on AHB, but sometimes you have to wade through a lot of crap to find it

2. $19 pot from Big W was the best money I ever spent on brew gear, but things have gotten expensive since then

3. Having a megaswill drinker say "this doesn't taste like homebrew" then pour himself another (and another) was gold

Cheers,
Flewy

1. C6H12O6 -> 2(CH3CH2OH) + 2(CO2) + ATP
2. Brewing makes learning chemistry much, much more interesting than my year 12 teacher ever did

another two from me

2. Im glad I've decided not to be a brewer as a career. I enjoy it far too much as a hobby and dont think I could brew the same couple of beers for the rest of my career.

3. When tasting beers at a showcase or sampling on your own, dont taste the IPA first... build up to it so you CAN taste everything else.

Latest posts

Back