Things I Have Leart From Home Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My missus likes the small when you start the mash but not the boil. I'm the same to be honest. The boil smells bad presumably due to unwanted crap being boiled out of the beer.

How true is that! SWMBO carries on about the smell yet my sons love it...........must be the mars venus thing ;)

My wife loves the smell. Are you telling me I married a man? Shit.

The things I have learnt whilst still in the total infancy of my brewing career:

1) Do not use your new born childs muslin wrap to strain steeped grain and/or hop boils into fermenter. Your wife WILL tear you a new one.

2) Always be prepared to listen to those whom have faced similar challenges. They will help you.

3) I cannot wait to receive a parcel from Hong Kong with my STC in.

4) My beer does not tell me I spend too much money on brewing equipment. My wife does.

"My missus actually likes the smell of the many different aspects of brewing". she "will regularly stand over the kettle having a good old smell of the contents".

I hope it doesn't make your beer too fishy!
:ph34r: :D

1. If your new to brewing you cant ask questions on a forum that may have been asked before, even in the beginners section, or you will always piss someone off. Instead you must search 350 posts slightly related to your topic to find the information you need.

2. Despite pissing some people off, there is always someone only to helpful and willing to share there advice and help you out.

3. Even though it takes hours and hours AG brewing is fun and something that the wife and I do together to spend quality time together.

4. No matter what type of HB you do when you offer it to non HBers they will always turn up their nose and say no thanks, I hate the taste of that Home brew shit, then continue to skull their megaswill goats piss.

5. My wife loves the smell and taste of wort..But shes definitely not a guy. ;)

1. I've learnt that my home brew is shit and that I should stick to real beer like VB and XXXX.
2. That you shouldn't use malt. Dextrose will produce a cleaner beer.
3. That you should roll a bottle of home brew across a table to rouse the sediment before you drink it.
4. That there are three styles of beer: ale, lager and stout.

You'd be amazed at how much valuable info I've picked up from people that don't brew beer!

1. I've learnt that my home brew is shit and that I should stick to real beer like VB and XXXX.
2. That you shouldn't use malt. Dextrose will produce a cleaner beer.
3. That you should roll a bottle of home brew across a table to rouse the sediment before you drink it.
4. That there are three styles of beer: ale, lager and stout.

You'd be amazed at how much valuable info I've picked up from people that don't brew beer!
5. A heatbelt is essential to get the airlock performing, and getting it brewed in 3 days max. We're drinkers - we're talking about maximum turnout here!

That while the finer points of Belgian Ales, their origins, their idiosyncrasies and their production techniques are absolutely fascinating to other beer fans and brewers, going on and on about them to those who drink Australian Lagers is a lot like turning up to a BBQ wearing a Star Trek uniform.

Beer making is a diverse and interesting subject, but 75% of all beer drinkers drink it to get drunk. Trying to educate their tastebuds is like adding strawberry flavouring to crack cocaine.

I hope it doesn't make your beer too fishy!
:ph34r: :D

She doesn't like it that much, if it were 40L of chocolate I might be in trouble. :D

That while the finer points of Belgian Ales, their origins, their idiosyncrasies and their production techniques are absolutely fascinating to other beer fans and brewers, going on and on about them to those who drink Australian Lagers is a lot like turning up to a BBQ wearing a Star Trek uniform.
:lol:

1. To hover over links before clicking them, unless you want a more lot great pishab.
2. To look at a pile of hard rubbish like it is all deconstructed brewery parts...

1. Whoever says you can't get hungover from homebrew obviously hasn't been drinking enough!
2. Following the instructions on packaging doesn't always turn out for the best.

At first i thought HB would teach me patience, but now i think it has only taught me to appreciate a good beer

Following the instructions on packaging doesn't always turn out for the best.

So what your saying, is that my home brand lager twocan that i brewed with a kg of dextrose wont taste anything like tooheys extra dry even though i brewed it with S-23 @ 25 - 32 Degrees? :p

EDIT: PS: Sorry for the OT!

1. The kitchen accessories section of a supermarket all of a sudden takes on a whole new significance.

2. 99% of ex homebrewers I met left after doing a couple of 'Brigalow' brews 20 years ago and thats why they know homebrew tastes like shit.

At first i thought HB would teach me patience, but now i think it has only taught me to appreciate a good beer

I've come to realise you learn best by doing. Books, articles and forums are a great resource but there really is no subsitute for hands on experience. The bigger the mistake, the bigger the lesson ;)

Would have thought that you learned how to ruin your taste bubs with your hoppiness LRJ! :p

Latest posts

Back