The Sausage Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaiser Soze said:
Nice looking snags there wolfman!

Check on ebay for grind plates. However you can also run it through a second time if you're keen to have it smaller.
Cheers mate will do. I need the handles as well so I'm on the look out for both.

Wolfman said:
Cheers mate will do. I need the handles as well so I'm on the look out for both.
Ahh...good to see you managed to get them made! Although with your house renovations, have you thought about making salamis? You have some good air circulation going on ;-)

Thanks again for the buckets :-D

Cosmic Bertie said:
Ahh...good to see you managed to get them made! Although with your house renovations, have you thought about making salamis? You have some good air circulation going on ;-)

Thanks again for the buckets :-D
Hahahaha true mate!

Made my maiden batch of sausages today. Made about 2.5kg of pork shoulder, red wine, pepper and garlic sausages stuffed in lamb casings - keeping it pretty simple for the first batch. Haven't tried any of the finished product yet but the little patty I made to test for seasoning was absolutely delicious. Having the mother in law over for mum's day tonight and we'll put them on the Weber - great stuff!

One of the butchers I contacted wanted $120/kg for natural casings! Crazy!

Mine gives me the casings or free.

A kilo of casings will hold an awful lot of sausage. That's literally miles of the stuff. You probably want 10g or so for a batch.

same so long as im getting other stuff while there if not a bottle of beer helps a great deal.

$120 for sheep casings makes sense, ten or so years back I was buying 20kg buckets of them for $80 or $90kg .There were cheaper options but you lost the quality.

I got one from ebay and used it for the first time last week, worked fine. They all look the same chinese one with different branding. Got a vertical 3l for $130ish delivered.Had 3.5kg of stuffing and couldn't do it in one go but was very easy to reload, so much so I wouldn't consider the bigger ones myself.Came with 4 ss tubes and spare silicon seals. There is a bit of deadspace in the 90 degree bend though, but made 4 rissoles with that for lunch so not wasted.Comes apart nicely for cleaning too, happy camper (or is that stuffer?)

Timi can you grab tubes to go on the meat grinder at all?

Hmm... i did not think of entering a bartering agreement... starting to build up some decent bargaining chips now... jars of home made hot sauce, beer, cider, sausages, hopefully cured meats not too far down the track... All looking good!

So do people recommend getting a purpose build sausage stuffer rather than just getting an attachment to my grinder? Is it to do with getting the sausage more packed and maybe introducing less heat when stuffing? It all seemed to go pretty well today but I think we need more fat... we just had a 2.5kg hunk of boneless, skinless shoulder, I think i need at least 250g of back fat next time...

Do it with whatever works. I use a piping bag (buy it already minced from a butcher who knows what he is doing).

Personally, I'd wait and only buy one if you're planning on doing sausages regularly. Stuffers are great, but your grinder with a stuffer attachment will be able to pack the meat tight enough. They do heat the filling a bit which is the downside, but chill your meat right down before stuffing and you should be right.

I use my grinder for stuffing anything less than 3 or 4kg, and only break out a dedicated stuffer for the bigger jobs.

you can make a cheap filler out of pvc pipe and water hose fittings. you just need a plunger style setup with a nozzle on top end. Load it with your mix and put water on. add pressure as needed. I used to do all the offcuts from a killer on the stations with one of these. You can scale them down to a few kilo version if you need to.

Dammit, you've got me all excited to build a hydraulic stuffer now :angry:

So we went up to Sydney to catch up with a bunch of mates... Made two kinds of sausages, one was a pork, veal, pistachio and fresh fig sausage, the other was pork, fennel seeds, fresh apple and apple cider. The apple one was awesome but the one with the figs disintegrated into what we called a "mealy mash" basically the insides of it were really paste like. Anyone experienced that before? I'm pretty sure that it was the fresh figs and all of the extra liquid they incorporated into the snags. Next time I want to put figs in a sausage, I'll get dried ones and soak them in something like Pedro Ximinez next time and I think that'll work much better.

ok 50kg of sausages and salami are being made by brendo and myself this saturday. all natural, no cures being used. thin cases.

spreadsheet with recipes and suppliers is attached for peoples reference. Going with PJs Meat this. I will need to go back through the thread at some stage and find a butcher that will sell the half pig at the same price as the shoulder and not keep the ribs etc to themselves for the same price. still 50kg of snags and salami for about $400 isnt bad.

The straight chicken recipe we have substituted a wit we made instead of chicken stock. equal quantities have been substituted. next time we will made some beef and stout snags or something. gotta incorporate the brewing somehow.

View attachment Sausage List June 2013.xlsx

pics will follow

Latest posts

Back