The Sausage Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score
For all those into or interested in making sausages at home, add your favotite recipes here.
Sausages should have a fat content of around 20-25% to keep them moist and juicy.

I will kick of with Louisiana Hot Sausage.

2kg Pork shoulder with fat
500g topside or other roasting meat with fat
1 tbs Black peepper
1 Tbs White pepper
1.5 Tbs Cayenne pepper
1/2 Tbs crushed Garlic
2 Tbs Salt non iodised
2 Tbs Sweet Paprika
1 Tsp Sweet basil
1 Tsp ground bay leaf
1 Tbs dry parsley
1.5 Tbs sugar
100ml Beer

Louisiana Hot Sausages Blooming
sausage_002.jpg

Cooked results
sausage_004.jpg

Grind all the meat through a medium plate, mix dry ingredients with the beer and add this mixture to the meat and mix VERY well, this will distribute the spices and also emulsify the meat a little. Stuff into large natural sausage skins from the butchers and leave to hang in the fridge for 12 hours to Bloom, then cook or freeze.

Sausages made at home contain no preservatives and must be frozen within 24 hours if you don't eat them straight away.
Cleanliness and Hygene are imperative when making sausages.
Clean all benches, utensils and equipment in hot soapy water.
Sanatize everything with diluted bleach or Starsan or phos acid solution as you would in brewing.
Chill your meat to below 4 degrees prior to mincing and stuffing to lower the risk of microbes multiplying.
Take these simple precautions and you will be enjoying the best tasting snags around.

Cheers
Andrew

I wouldn't mind trying this.....were do you get the machines to make them and also the skins?

Rook

I got a mincing machine from my grandmother, and bought a sausage attachment (generic) from robins Kitchen. The skins I get from my local butcher, who is great value and gives me heaps of info. They come in thick and thin (synthetic) and a single skin does a heck of a lot of sausages!

M

Maybe you should have called it the sausage string? They look bloody tasty Andrew.

would something like this be okay...i assume you can get an attachment for this.

link

would something like this be okay...i assume you can get an attachment for this.
link

You really want something like this breville or one of the porkert manual mincers a No32 would be good Grain and Grape sell them.

Braufrau, that's an excellent site, that's one of the ones I frequent for information :)

Cheers
Andrew

That's great Braufrau and Andrew! Just the kind of info I've been looking for :)

BOEREWORST

This recipe is for Boerewors - "a spicy sausage that no self respecting BBQ can be without, if you can't make it yourself, ask your local butcher to make some for you, you won't be sorry . . ."
Ingredients
1.5kg beef
1.5kg pork
500g bacon, diced
25ml salt
5ml ground pepper
50ml ground coriander
2ml freshly grated nutmeg
1ml ground cloves
2ml ground dried thyme
2ml ground allspice
125ml red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
50ml Worcestershire sauce
85g sausage casings
Method
 Cut the beef and pork meat into 1.5 " cubes and mix it with all the other ingredients except the sausage casings.
 Grind (mince) the meat using a medium-course grinding plate
 Fill the sausage casings firmly but not too tightly with the meat mixture.
 Can be fried, grilled or barbecued over coals.
Makes 3.5 kg
Peter Thomas

Now thats made me hungry!! home mad sausages for me!!

Where can I get 'Pro Sausage & Mash ' sausage making software.

Pumpy :)

BOEREWORST

This recipe is for Boerewors - "a spicy sausage that no self respecting BBQ can be without, if you can't make it yourself, ask your local butcher to make some for you, you won't be sorry . . ."
Ingredients
1.5kg beef
1.5kg pork
500g bacon, diced
25ml salt
5ml ground pepper
50ml ground coriander
2ml freshly grated nutmeg
1ml ground cloves
2ml ground dried thyme
2ml ground allspice
125ml red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
50ml Worcestershire sauce
85g sausage casings
Method
 Cut the beef and pork meat into 1.5 " cubes and mix it with all the other ingredients except the sausage casings.
 Grind (mince) the meat using a medium-course grinding plate
 Fill the sausage casings firmly but not too tightly with the meat mixture.
 Can be fried, grilled or barbecued over coals.
Makes 3.5 kg
Peter Thomas

Nice recipe Peter, and a bit of a coincidence too, I made 5 kilo of Boerewors on the weekend, and your right their great on the BBQ, next time I make them I will dry some to make Droewors as well.

Cheers
Andrew

Here's a thought.

A 'Big Brew Day' coupled with a 'Big Sausage Day'.

Beer and snags, what a combo!

Finally, will be into the boucherie for some casings asap. Andrew, which do you prefer, natural or synthetic, does it matter?

Screwy

Finally, will be into the boucherie for some casings asap. Andrew, which do you prefer, natural or synthetic, does it matter?

Screwy

Screwtop,
I like the natural, I find them easier to use and they don't split as easily when you are linking them or during cooking, I have found if using the colagen casings to cook the snags on a low heat and slowly bring the heat up to crisp and brown them, saves splitting. Either way you will get used to handling them fairly quickly.

cheers
Andrew

I can feel a sausage bag swap coming on.

I have been cranking out snags since I was at Uni 99-01 and have supplied snags to sandgroper brewdays on a couple of occasions(AusDB, Deebees Sangroptoberfest 05 & Ashers). I use my grandmothers meat grinder with a hog casing funnel and get my natural hog casings from Master Butchers Ltd for $20(Enough to last me a couple of years). Favourite recipes have been Bratwurst(Pork n Veal) and Italian pork snags(Plenty of Fennel seed)and I prefer a coarse grind but always seem to go a bit low on the fat content....probably due to living with a Health Promotion graduate....this causes the snags to be a little on the dry side.

I will dig up pics n recipes when I get home tonight.

Chrissy Casing Swap?

Latest posts

Back