The Sausage Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks this is "The Sausage thread" not "The Salami thread". All this info on additives would be of great help to someone wanting to make salami.

getting this man snag thread back Ot. pics. I write this whilst a rotting corpse is next too me.. oh hang on that the remaining smell of 50kg of spiced snags and salamis :) Im not sure my keezer will ever be the same again or ill be seeing in my comp review sheets "smells like meat".

brendo may have more pics. i thought we took pics of each of the 6 batches. obviously not.

knackwurst mix
knock.jpg

bockwurst mix
bock.jpg

my half of the snags in the keezer
snags full.jpg

close up please mr producer
snags.jpg

simmering bockwurst
simmer.jpg

now the simmered bocks come out dryer than the fried sample so i might lightly poach for 5 min then gently fry in case the simmering let out all the cream and fat.

creole are fkn awsome.

chicken tomato and basil rock. esp as we had left over mince (ie read we could be fkd making the few kg of snags) and i made patties and meatballs out of them. kids gobbled them up.

now tips for young players from a couple of amateurs
I preface this with all meats cuts being a course grind.
1. 50kg on a first attempt is fkn ambitious. esp without a proper stuffer. And we were fkn lucky the butcher actually minced it for us even though i said not to.
CAUTION: if you dont know meat and i mean really bloody kow your meats and what cuts are what dont get a butcher to mince it for you unless you trust the bugger. a lot of guys will try and pass off shit stuff as premium cuts minced etc which is why most people who make snags and salami mince their own. and once your making a huge amount its cheaper to buy half pigs etc so you get the ribs etc which the butchers will keep themselves and sell even though youve basicly bought most o half a pig by the time you buy 2 shoulders.

2. Fents is right. even the dedicated mincers dont stuff as well as a stuffer. my tefal was high powered and didnt have the best fitting nozzel for the skins (fat) and we got a lot of air. Brendos kenwood multi mixer benchtop thing didnt have the power of mine but a lot less air issues.

3. wet mixtures suck balls!!! the bockwurst we had to use my machine to force the stuff through. it was making butter from the cream in brendos machine!

4. raw chicken whilst not quite the same as a wet mixture is also a PITA but brendos machine coped.

5. this is a 2 person gig. 1 to stuff shit down the mouth of the stuffer and 1 to control the skins. we had 2 machines but could use both at the same time as its a 2 man job.

6. your place with stink (each to his own smell etc) of meat and spices etc. i loved it in the beginning. im growing tired of it. more to the point as my wife has taken over half the outside room as her work space im coping it big gtime about the smell.

7. its hard work but fun. we mixed our beer in there and had a few through the day to appease the beer and snag gods (obviously not enough as at times they spited us). But there i satisfaction at making stuff yourself and you can make stuff you just cant buy. wtf was the last time you saw knokwurst or bockwurst or chicken tomato basil snags?

we will be investing in a stuffer...and maybe making smaller amounts. actually i recon we might try and sneak in a nother salami batch before the end of winter. the calabrese salami is interesting. i posted all; our recipes in the sausage threasd but i post it here as well.

View attachment Sausage List June 2013 a.xlsx
NOTE: the chicken snag recipe we worked off used cooked chicken that was then minced. we ignored that and used raw chicken. so the 10 eggs for a single batch is for cooked chicken. we used 4 eggs total in a quad batch. add your liquid slowly and mix then add more. if it lookds too wet it might be. the other thing is that he recipes called for breat. we used 50/50 breast and thigh cause IMO thigh is nicer.

That's a lot of snags! Might have a crack at the chicken ones.
I have a kenwood with the mincer/stuffer, the mincer works well, the stuffer is really slow. Got a cheap chinese 3l ss stuffer and it's fantastic, well worth it.

I get mine (haven't done it for a while) from an Italian Butcher in Brunswick west. He always minced it in front of me (as in - invited me in to the butcher premise proper, cut the chunks of pork and fat and fed it through while I watched). Also allowed me to pick which part of belly and loin I wanted for bacon and pancetta.

Anyone in that area interested in this and doesn't have a mincer - Manago's meats at Union square, west brunswick.

seamad said:
That's a lot of snags! Might have a crack at the chicken ones.
I have a kenwood with the mincer/stuffer, the mincer works well, the stuffer is really slow. Got a cheap chinese 3l ss stuffer and it's fantastic, well worth it.
linky to stuffer? Fents' link was to a $250 stuffer

Mate it's gone up in price, I paid $134 with free postage.
You can get bigger 5 and 7l ones but they are pretty easy to refill, I'm happy with this size. Comes with the 4 tubes and a spare gasket. The 90 bend is pretty big, get 4 good sized patties out of it when finished, the horizontal ones probably have less dead space if that's a concern.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Meihua-Stainless-Steel-Meat-Salami-Sausage-Filler-Stuffer-Maker-3L-/161044036583?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Restaurant_Catering_Equipment&hash=item257ef8fbe7

Great post CM2. And absolutely agree on all points raised. Definitely invest in a mincer if you're planning on doing anything bigger than 10kg. It also means that the meat doesn't get heated as it passes through the corkscrew of the mincer into the casings. Less heat = better product.

Great stuff, wish I lived in the same city to come for a BBQ.... :)

The mincer/sausage maker arrived yesterday, the sausage filler is for the bigger casings. Will grab some of the bigger casings tomorrow and use what left of todays mix for my practise. Made this up after work today,

1.1kg chicken thigh, skin on
.5kg chicken breast
chicken salt
herb and garlic salt
mixed herbs
olive oil
hand full of grated tasty cheese

Minced the chicken on the medium plate then mixed through the herbs and cheese then put through the medium plate again.
I made 8 rissoles, rolled them in breadcrumbs.
The rest of the mix is in the fridge and I will put a cup of mozzarella with it then run it through the machine. Will probably eat them that night.

The rissoles where quite nice, bit dry and too salty, but the extra cheese and casing should moisten them up.

Cheers

That sounds truley terrible.

Chicken salt? That stuffs for kids on their hot chips, not for putting into food.

Chicken salt is just yellow coloured MSG isn't it?

bradsbrew said:
The mincer/sausage maker arrived yesterday, the sausage filler is for the bigger casings. Will grab some of the bigger casings tomorrow and use what left of todays mix for my practise. Made this up after work today,

1.1kg chicken thigh, skin on
.5kg chicken breast
chicken salt
herb and garlic salt
mixed herbs
olive oil
hand full of grated tasty cheese

Minced the chicken on the medium plate then mixed through the herbs and cheese then put through the medium plate again.
I made 8 rissoles, rolled them in breadcrumbs.
The rest of the mix is in the fridge and I will put a cup of mozzarella with it then run it through the machine. Will probably eat them that night.

The rissoles where quite nice, bit dry and too salty, but the extra cheese and casing should moisten them up.

Cheers
mix looks too dry. theres not enough liquid. whether it be eggs, beer or water or less breast and more thigh or more breast fat.
Id also be careful on the cheese. The chicken bacon cheese snags (recipe in the spreadsheet on prev page - 1kg of chedder in a 9kg batch) has way too much of a cheesy flavour and doesnt quite work. the mozzarella might be a good way to go as there's not much flavour.

Nick JD said:
Chicken salt is just yellow coloured MSG isn't it?
right from the can (note this is commercial stuff, not the stuff they sell in coles/woolies which is different despite the name):
Salt
Caster sugar
Flavour enhancer 621
Dextrose
Rice cereal
Nl flavour ??
Vegetable powders H
ydrolysed vegetable protein (soybean)
Spices
Anti caking agent 554
Vegetable oil (soybean)

Anchor Chicken Chippy Salt 170g Ingredients: Salt, Onion, Chicken Flavour, Flavour Enhancer(621) MSG!!!!! Spices, Mineral Salt (341)

punkin said:
That sounds truley terrible.

Chicken salt? That stuffs for kids on their hot chips, not for putting into food.
Yes, one of those "won't do that again" moments. Much like using a screw driver to move some grain right near the rollers whilst the mill is running........won't do that again.

Was probably a bit to keen to make something.

I find with things like snags and all grain brewing, it's best to start with something simple that has been done by others before before trying to do super experimental batches. Get your processes nailed in first before going off on tangents.

Latest posts

Back