The Sausage Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you'd want to be very careful with heat... meat will "cook" much quicker than grain and ruin your sausages quicker....

So I just made some chorizo last night. About 3m worth, in hogs casings.

GQf0eFp.jpg

And here they are hanging in my dungeon.

jIpVC4w.jpg

The only thread where u can tell a guy he has a nice looking sausage!
That basement looks perfect for a brew room if its tall enough.

Thanks! Yeah, the room's no where near tall enough, probably about 4 foot tall or so and I'm over six foot. Luckily enough I have a proper man shed out the back, 2 car garage that doesn't house a car, so I'm well looked after in that respect.

Sausages were made from a pig that my wife's workmates husband raised on his farm. We got 1/2 a pig and I asked for it in one piece so I could have a go butchering it myself. Did it with curing everything in mind. Currently have a belly curing into pancetta in the fridge, some lonza cured in orange, garlic and fennel, some spicy coppa and a pork leg brining which I'll turn into a ham. When it's all ready I'm going to be in heaven.

Here's some pics of the pig butchery:

l01uxOL.jpg

uZZnLOG.jpg

0CWQWOb.jpg

lMaL2lP.jpg

X5ss1dT.jpg

FGdYtAy.jpg

Pretty happy with how it turned out - need a proper boning knife though, had to hack at it a bit with the chef's knife. But yeah... totally worth doing at least once. Changes how you look at all the different cuts of meat.

Good shit. Best way to do it. Well most authentic and cheapest I terms of all the exyra bits u get like ribs etc. But of course its also the most time consuming.

Great work scon! Looks like you did a pretty decent job at butchering. I'd love to give it a go myself one day.

Do you have a recipe for the chorizo?

After many hints over the last couple of months I was given a mincer/sausage maker for my birthday last week.

Without going through the entire thread can someone point me to a simple recipe for a beginner?

scon said:
Pretty happy with how it turned out - need a proper boning knife though, had to hack at it a bit with the chef's knife. But yeah... totally worth doing at least once. Changes how you look at all the different cuts of meat.
A small helpful hint (please dont berate me if you know this already and not trying to sound condescending), but when butchering, use a really sharp knife (preferably a boning knife) for cutting the soft stuff and a nice sharp saw for cutting bones. When cutting through either, stop as soon as you get through and switch implements. Bones blunt knives, and saws dont cut meat very well.

All up though, that looks great. I'd love to get hold of half a pig....any options around here? Also, its a pity you didnt get the head....some really great meat from there.

I got six heads! I made headcheese with 1.5 of them but to be honest the other's will likely get chucked - I ran out of time and I think they're getting a little old.

Next time however I'm going to borrow a sous vide machine and make pigs head bacon.

do members that own Tefal Le Hachoir mod.ME710 find the sausage attachment Ok for making small amounts of sausages 6kg? or do i buy a sausage stuffer?
have just bought one from Kitchenware direct. also are other size tubes available?
cheers
yorkie

It's what I have, and perfect for making small batches of sausages. Not sure if there are other size tubs available, but I haven't really looked...

I have the tefal, but i get my hand powered Spong #8 out for stuffing. I use the tefal for mincing.

Thanks for the info. much appreciated. know i can start planing for when mincer arrives
cheers
Frankj.

jayahhdee said:
After many hints over the last couple of months I was given a mincer/sausage maker for my birthday last week.

Without going through the entire thread can someone point me to a simple recipe for a beginner?
[SIZE=medium]This is my basic sausage recipe with the addition of cheese and sundried tomato - you can leave that out if you want and just make a pork and fennel snag.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.5 kilo piece of Pork Neck – ask your butcher to mince it course for you[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 teaspoons of Fennel seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 ½ teaspoons Paprika power[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 ½ teaspoons of garlic powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 ½ teaspoons of black pepper corns[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 teaspoon chilli powder - or more if you like them hot[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 ½ teaspoons of sea salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]¾ cup of sundried tomatoes – chopped[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]¾ cup of Provolone cheese – diced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3 metres of natural casing[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 lemon[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Take your casing and run cold water through it to rinse out all the salt. Put the casing in to a bowl of cold water and add the juice of one lemon and leave to soak whilst you prepare the sausage mixture. Try and get the lemon water into the casing also.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]In a non stick fry pan over high heat add the fennel seeds and dry fry until they begin to smoke then place in a mortar and grind into a powder with the pestle. Add the pepper corns and grind down also. Add all the other spices and mix well. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Put your pork mince in a large bowl sprinkle over half the seasoning and using your hands mix very well then add the rest of the spice mixture and mix well. Take a teaspoon of the mixture and cook in a little olive oil in a hot pan and taste for flavour and seasoning remembering that the tomato and cheese will add further complexity to the sausage. Adjust as needed – if needed. Mix through the cheese and the tomato making sure they are mixed evenly through the meat.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Stuff the casing with the meat mixture so that it is firmly packed but not overly tight and twist so that you end up with a string of sausages each about 8 – 10 cm long. Let the sausages sit in the fridge over night so as to develop their flavour and also to settle. If you cook the sausages straight away they tend to split open or pop when they cook.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Cut the sausages at the link and then cook them on a BBQ, griddle or in the fry pan. As they cook the cheese will ooze out and caramelise. [/SIZE]

Anyone got a good lamb, feta and rosemary snag recipe?

Right mixed up a couple of recipes to produce some Lamb, Goats Feta and Rosemary sausage.

Here's the process:

Boning leg of lamb

image.jpg

Ready to mince

image.jpg

This machine is a great bit of kit!

image.jpg

Adding the flavour.

image.jpg

Letting the flavours meld.

image.jpg

Another great bit of kit! Ready for stuffing.

image.jpg

The finished product.

image.jpg

Recipe:
2kg of boned lamb
Salt
3 large sprigs of rosemary
Mustard
Soy sauce
Garlic
Chilli oil
Goats feta
Fresh oregano
Stuffed into lamb runners

This is one of, no the best, I've made to date!

Leg of lamb Wolfman style!

So picked up a sunbeam fg5600 of cheap 2nd. Got it all soaking at the moment. Wandering what to do first up

Latest posts

Back