Meat Loaf in Caramelised Barbecue Sauce. This is so tasty.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyo

No Chillin' Like a Villain.
Reaction score
Yeah, meatloaf can be boring as bat shit. This is from one of my Nan's cookbooks and it never fails to please. Sooo tasty. The sauce caramelises and forms a moreish sticky glaze over the meatloaf. You then pour the excess sauce over the meat once sliced. :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

500g minced steak
500g sausage mince
salt and pepper
2 onions (I usually just use 1)
1 egg
cup breadcrumbs or flaked oatmeal
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 tbls chopped or dried parsley (mixed herbs also works well)

Sauce 1/2 cup water
1 tsp coffee powder
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1tbs butter
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

Sauce Put all ingredients in saucepan, bring slowly to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Combine all main ingredients in bowl and mix till smooth. Shape into loaf. Place into greased baking dish and bake at 180' for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and pour off surplus fat. Pour sauce over loaf. Return to oven and bake for 50-60 minutes (depending on your oven), basting every 15 minutes or so.

edit- brown sugar, not sauce :huh:

Nice work jyo.

I love cold meatloaf on toast the next morning with a goodly amount of butter and maybe a smear of dead horse. Yummo

Yeah, sandwiches the next day are awesome. The good thing with this is you slather the meat with the BBQ sauce before you put it in the fridge and the meat absorbs it overnight. Man it's good in a toasted sanga.

Edited the recipe, as should have had 1/4 cup brown sugar in the sauce.

jyo said:
Yeah, sandwiches the next day are awesome. The good thing with this is you slather the meat with the BBQ sauce before you put it in the fridge and the meat absorbs it overnight. Man it's good in a toasted sanga.

Edited the recipe, as should have had 1/4 cup brown sugar in the sauce.
I reckon this would work with my Tofu :icon_drool2:

Coming soon:

Hom-it.jpg

The All New "Hom-it Tofu Maker"

For those times when you've had enough meat inside you!

Made this tonight. It's always a hit with the squids-

I should have caramelised the sauce a bit more, but it was still awesome.

I'm getting chest pains just looking at that.

I've made this tonight and it's very tasty, I split into three smaller loaves as there's only two of us. Thanks for the recipe.

20140701_175947.jpg

Looks nice, mate!

I had some for breakfast this morning on homemade toasted bread with heaps of butter.

This is more or less the same as my wife's meatloaf, only hers has a couple of boiled eggs buried in the loaf
One of my favourite dishes

Latest posts

Back