The Sandpeoples Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here, I can't part with anymore beer at the moment :)

14 longnecks each.

Mine are bottled and labelled.

I have an AHB ESB saved to add to Jasonys case as well since he helped make it but hasnt tasted it. By now the bittering may be in balance.

deebee said:
Might need to (gulp) buy some beer.
Hmm not that grim <_< , I brewed an emergency Hefeweizen a coupel of weeks ago that will be on tap within the week :p Tomorrow is brew day again!

Well my case is officially ready to roll, only some crappy stick on labels to own up as the producer :p

7 x American pale ale
7 x Munich Helles

So whats on the menu from fellow sandpeople. Looking forward to some sampling over the xmas period (and I need some beer damnit!)

Mine will be split between a bock, and a german style pilsner. Hope you like em malty :)

Gassed up a sample of 'Santa's Steam Beer' on the weekend. Its very tasty..... Some fruity notes due to higher fermentation temps (to style) but still very clean. The extra bitterness & alcohol are well balanced against the crystal malt. The oats and unmalted barley just add to its smooth complexity & glossy head....

14 KB's locked & loaded

Asher for now

Probably 7 each of Skunk Steam (APA brewed with Calif lager yeast) and Belgian Blunt Instrument Ale. If the Belgian (only bottled on Sunday) turns out no good it will be replaced with a Clayton's lager.

Batz is offering a mix of Oktoberfest, Cut Cat ale and Northern English Ale. Due to a small transport hiccup his contributuion is one short which I will make up.

I am offering Big Shit Porter (explanation on the label) and an ESB.

Guest Lurker said:
I am offering Big Shit Porter (explanation on the label) and an ESB.
And if it's not the funniest beer label I've ever read then I'll go he for chasey.

Good one GL :lol:

C&B
TDA

I have pm'd evreyone with address details for the meetup Saturday, let me know if you didnt get it.

I wasnt able to get any proper labels organised for my brews, so here is the rundown of them:

Bock
Label "bock 14/10"
Bottled: 14th September

Ingredients
- 2kg Pale Malt
- 1.5kg LME
- 1.7kg muntons bock kit
- 25g hallertau @ 60 mins
- 20g hallertau @ 15 mins
- WLP 833 (German Bock Lager)

Bohemian Pilsner
Label: "pils 12/10"
Bottled: 12th October

Ingredients
- 2kg pilsner malt
- 500g munich malt
- 1.5kg extra pale LME
- 25g hallertau @ 60 mins
- 25g saaz @ 60mins
- 25g saaz @ 10 mins
- 25g saaz - dry hopped
- WLP 833 (German Bock Lager)

OG 1047
FG 1007
5.2% ABV
colour: 3.9 SRM
39.7 IBU

I hope you enjoy them

Well if anyone wants my recipes I can post em :p wait and see if they taste any good. Was great to catch up for some sampling again.

Putting a bunch in the fridge now so official sampling can commence next week (I am on call on xmas so I have to drink em early!)

Oh and GMK I liked your barley wine, only had a nip of it as I had to be able to see to drive home :eek: that would be a tasty drop on a winters night.

Thanks JasonY...

Did u try any others....

Was hoping to get some feedback.....

Any ideas how the IAPA and Sweet Choc Stout went....

Unfortunately I was driving home so I couldn't stay to sample everything and there was not a shortage of good beers to try. My esky went home heavier than it was on arrival so I can't complain :D

I am sure GL will post some reviews :)

Thanks for a nice arternoon Capt'n and Fleur - it was nice to catch up with everyone and taste some bloody good HB.

Why is it that I never remember leaving your place ?

I'll kick things off with my first review from the Xmas case.

victim #1
JasonY's 'cloudy as helles' munich helles.
Pours with a nice dense white head, slightly cloudy body, but I've seen worse.
Aroma is very clean, with a good whiff of banana.
Taste is initially quite sweet, followed by a good whack of noble hops (hallertau?), then a smooth banana finish.

Quite refreshing on a warm afternoon, nice work mate :)

Goat said:
Why is it that I never remember leaving your place ?
Goat

At least you remembered that your car was parked out the front of my place. Did you notice I put your carbonator cap on the dash? (it was unlocked). I would have also returned the PET bottle it was attached to but Dallas ate it. I think you also left a fridge bag? By the time I got around to going to put it in your car the car had gone (had to return to bed for a snooze this morning). PM your address and I will drop it off when I go for a cycle this week.

Mr Fridge

Nice work on the first review and timing, took me a while to get around to the first beer this afternoon.

AusDB

Your case is ready and waiting, give me a call to pick up this week.

GMK

For what its worth, from what I can remember:

Barley wine
The pick of the three for me. Major sherry/port character, plenty of oak, lots of raisiny plummy flavours. Not really the right environment, sinking a pile of beers in the sun on a warm Saturday afternoon. But served with a cheeseboard after a winters dinner I reckon that would go down very well. I kept one stubby and will save it for a cheeseboard next winter.

IAPA
Bit overgassed, had trouble keeping it in the jug. Strong grapefruit character, which I personally like, strong bittering without being too harsh.

Sweet choc stout
Certainly a good chocolate flavour in the beer. Personally I dont really like a sweet stout so cant really judge.

Thanks GL....

Back