The People's Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reviled, I simply drink the best beer available to me in a situation.

reviled, I simply drink the best beer available to me in a situation.

true that

no such thing as bad beer just good beer and better beer.

but i think the point i was making was ... not sure i kind of go on rants and lose track of where i am.... IS that although like you i will drink the best of whats on tap, depending on my mood, but we are open to trying new beers and understanding that a well crafted micro brewery beer will usually have a far better taste than the mass produced swill.

mmmm beer

true that

no such thing as bad beer just good beer and better beer.

but i think the point i was making was ... not sure i kind of go on rants and lose track of where i am.... IS that although like you i will drink the best of whats on tap, depending on my mood, but we are open to trying new beers and understanding that a well crafted micro brewery beer will usually have a far better taste than the mass produced swill.

mmmm beer

I see where you're coming from.

I see three types of beer drinkers:

1 - People that only drink mega swill and have no desire to drink anything else, e.g. decent imports or local craft beer.
2 - People that are happy to try new things, and judge it based on its merits, no matter where it was made.
3 - People that only drink certain types of beers, local craft, rare imports, etc.

Note that it is only type 2 that have a truly open mind and it is type 1 and 3 that deliberately exclude types of beer from their consumption.

1 - People that only drink mega swill and have no desire to drink anything else, e.g. decent imports or local craft beer.
2 - People that are happy to try new things, and judge it based on its merits, no matter where it was made.
3 - People that only drink certain types of beers, local craft, rare imports, etc.

I like the fourth variety.

4. - People that drink whatever beer is offered / available and enjoys the beers cos its better than not drinking beer. The converstaion that follows it will be cordial and not bemoaning, demeaning or self seeking. It may or may not be about beer.

:icon_cheers:

I like the fourth variety.

4. - People that drink whatever beer is offered / available and enjoys the beers cos its better than not drinking beer. The converstaion that follows it will be cordial and not bemoaning, demeaning or self seeking. It may or may not be about beer.

:icon_cheers:

+1 for that, if someone is giving me a beer , I'll take it!

me to unless it's in a CAN! then I will ask for a glass!

Note that it is only type 2 that have a truly open mind and it is type 1 and 3 that deliberately exclude types of beer from their consumption.

I'm type 2, hell, I was the first on this forum to buy a Hammer 'n' Tongs when it came out. And I judged it on it's merits. Thin, watery adjunct laden swill bittered with a trace of isohop. I know it is cheap, which is a merit, but it's shortcomings don't come close to compensating for this. Should I just drink it when something else better exists? Hell no. Said it before, will say it again, life is too short to spend drinking bad beer, no matter where it's made.

I'm type 2, hell, I was the first on this forum to buy a Hammer 'n' Tongs when it came out. And I judged it on it's merits. Thin, watery adjunct laden swill bittered with a trace of isohop. I know it is cheap, which is a merit, but it's shortcomings don't come close to compensating for this. Should I just drink it when something else better exists? Hell no. Said it before, will say it again, life is too short to spend drinking bad beer, no matter where it's made.

Amen brother :icon_cheers:

I get the feeling that a huge number of Australians (including a lot of women) really like the IDEA of beer drinking but don't actually like beer. This would account for the huge sales of XXXX Gold and the sight of young ladettes with their bottle of sol with a bit of fruit in the neck.

Great example is the rellies I'm staying with at the moment - when any of the males pop in it's "Let's have a beeerrrr" - "Great, it's bloody good beeeeeeerrrrr drinkin' weather" and out come the stubbies of Cascade 2% light"
You can almost hear them chanting 'beer, beer, beer, beer' like the Vikings in the Monty Python 'Spam' sketch.

I bought a carton of Staropramen the other day so I politely decline the wondrous Cascade.

The young set in the family, 18 - 25 mostly drink alcopops because they didn't grow up in a peer culture where beer was the only manly drink.

It's not just beer, I often work on directory assistance in the evening and I really should do a tally - out of every hundred calls for pizza companies I guess eighty percent would be for the megaswill - Dominoes, eagle boys and Pizza Hut, and the rest would be for the Woodfired, Gourmet Pizza Kitchens etc.

I believe it was in the 'Beer Bible' that the author made a comment about Corona; "Proof that Australians don't actually like the taste of beer", or something in that vein. I would be surprised if 20% of all the mainstream beer drinkers in Australia actually knew what a 'proper' beer tasted like - rather than just megaswill.

And Jase - I believe I've already coined 'megachew' in another thread somewhere :p

I get the feeling that a huge number of Australians (including a lot of women) really like the IDEA of beer drinking but don't actually like beer. This would account for the huge sales of XXXX Gold and the sight of young ladettes with their bottle of sol with a bit of fruit in the neck.

Great example is the rellies I'm staying with at the moment - when any of the males pop in it's "Let's have a beeerrrr" - "Great, it's bloody good beeeeeeerrrrr drinkin' weather" and out come the stubbies of Cascade 2% light"
You can almost hear them chanting 'beer, beer, beer, beer' like the Vikings in the Monty Python 'Spam' sketch.

I bought a carton of Staropramen the other day so I politely decline the wondrous Cascade.

The young set in the family, 18 - 25 mostly drink alcopops because they didn't grow up in a peer culture where beer was the only manly drink.

It's not just beer, I often work on directory assistance in the evening and I really should do a tally - out of every hundred calls for pizza companies I guess eighty percent would be for the megaswill - Dominoes, eagle boys and Pizza Hut, and the rest would be for the Woodfired, Gourmet Pizza Kitchens etc.

totally off topic, but which directory assistance do you work for? i work for 1234 and thats pretty much the case for me. it extends beyond that sometimes though, eg when people ask for say bavarian beer cafe, i like to suggest a decent beer to try (chimay, la trappe, duvel, orval, westmall etc), and most people have no idea what im talking about.

totally off topic, but which directory assistance do you work for? i work for 1234 and thats pretty much the case for me. it extends beyond that sometimes though, eg when people ask for say bavarian beer cafe, i like to suggest a decent beer to try (chimay, la trappe, duvel, orval, westmall etc), and most people have no idea what im talking about.

so... there's probably alot of things they know about that you dont. See once again this has turned into the same thread even though I don't think the thread starter intended it to!

If I could make a beer like Cascade Premium Lager I would be very very happy with myself.

I think you should all have a saucer of milk before going to bed tonight!!!!

I did one of these things in the early 90's. Who can refuse getting paid to drink beer. I got called on a number of times but it took me a few goes to answer the screening questions in the right way to get an invite.

Mine seemed to be more of market positioning exercise. They also had the Very Best beer as well as its brother, Merely Beer. The wanted to know where in the market we thought the Very Best beer sat and where they should add Merely Beer. I was a NSW lad living in Brisvegas and my comments were mostly different from the other lads.

I commented that the Very Best Beer was what you drank at the cricket cos everyone knew it didnt get that can taste. The other lads thought only the old guys in the pub drank the Very Best and that their only choice at the cricket was XBeer. We didnt agree on much else. I didnt ever get invited back. Shame really.

Cheers
Andrew.

so... there's probably alot of things they know about that you dont. See once again this has turned into the same thread even though I don't think the thread starter intended it to!

If I could make a beer like Cascade Premium Lager I would be very very happy with myself.

no, thats not the point at all.

my point is that many people are afraid to branch out and try new things. brand name loyalty is a bad thing imo. i like to take every opportunity to try something new.

Latest posts

Back