The People's Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase71

Out of Order
Reaction score
I've got my name on a couple of paid market research lists, and although I haven't been called up for many (two in two years!), I was called upon a few weeks ago for one concerning beer. How could I refuse, I thought, they were paying me $100 cash to spend 1.5 hours giving feedback and hopefully a few free drinks.

So I turn up to the place, and straight off the bat I'm handed a bottle of what some consider the Very Best beer in town. I cannot name the beer of course, nor can I suggest that it was or wasnt the Very Best. What we all know here is that's it's quite a popular choice (not here, but amongst our peers).

It worked out that it wasn't actually to do with beer tasting, comparion or anything else of that nature, but to glean some feedback from a cross section of men between 25 & 40 on a draft for an up & coming advertising campaign. I won't get into the campaign for the same reasons I won't name this Very Best beer. What did interest me was the perception that people have of this beer, and the image that it has in the marketplace.

To give you an idea of the attendees, it was 10 guys, mostly in their early 30's, a couple of which may have been tradesmen, the rest being in that zone of not quite traditional white collar, nor particularly conservative types, but the feeling I got was that all of them (OK... us) were the types to enjoy a few beers down at the pub from time to time. Everyone was articulate enough to express their thoughts & feelings.

And the shock to me was this.... that apart from myself & one other guy who said that Coopers was his drink of choice, every single other person was a dedicated drinker of the beer that we were there to comment on (or at least the ad campaign).

Right from my arrival, when we were all sitting outdoors having a couple before the market research began, someone said "oh we're all obviously here because we love this beer". I pointed out that this wasn't a question in the pre-screening process and that no, in fact I'm not a fan at all. All eyes on me now, as I tried to explain that i go for beers that are driven by flavour & character, as subtle as they may be - for example, I don't mind Schwelmer, Urquell, Dab etc - which are really not too far removed from Aussie Megaswills, but have a little more charachter. When pressed on the issue, I mentioned a couple of Aussie craft-style brews to keep it local - Murrays, Squire, Little Creatures, until blank looks all around stopped me from entering into a rant (anyway, that's not my style LOL)

So when the official research began, and we were asked to give feedback on the draft advert (think pictureboards, voiceovers etc) the host opened a discussion along the lines of "What does this beer mean to you?" Typically the concensus was that the beer in question is a no-bullshit, no pretension beverage that everyone can enjoy, that it bonds men together (WTF!?), that it's a great drop after a hard day at work and that it tastes good (again, WTF!?). It's a brand that everyone can identify with, it's a beer that they grew up around, a great working-class social leveller, one that their Dad's drank, and one that they would be sticking with, no matter what. Keep in mind what I said earlier, this wasn't a room full of yobs either (well, apart from me!).

The extension of that was the perception of guys who go a the pub/club/venue and drink 'imported' beer (these guys knew nothing of BUL, so it's not worth a mention). The thoughts were that these people were try-hards who only buy the 'trendy' beer because they are trying to portray an image (to which I noted that their active choice in drinking this megaswill was just as much an image-driven concept, non?). In many ways I would agree that the young guy at the funky pub that orders Heinekin is being a 'scene-queen', it amazed me to observe the group's devotion to, let's face it, a pretty bland beer.

The message that I got from this is that there's not too many people in the key demographic of beer drinkers with disposable income that are ever going to allow themselves to alter their perceptions and become familiar with the huge range of better beers available on the market, either local or imported. Which is quite sad, in that the effect on the market mean that there's little scope for growth in modern day Australia.

And no doubt this post will turn into a 'megaswill sucks' thread yet again - butu I found it interesting to hear a bunch of articulate guys speaking out about their tastes.

Fair dose of the old 5 gorillas in the cage mentality, huh?

I drink VB all the time and enjoy it. I drank an entire case on Australia Day. My brother drinks it, all my cousins drink it, pretty much everyone I know drinks it. Sure it's not the greatest, fanciest beer on earth but it does it's job (quenches your thirst, gets you pissed after a hard day!)

The extension of that was the perception of guys who go a the pub/club/venue and drink 'imported' beer (these guys knew nothing of BUL, so it's not worth a mention). The thoughts were that these people were try-hards who only buy the 'trendy' beer because they are trying to portray an image (to which I noted that their active choice in drinking this megaswill was just as much an image-driven concept, non?). In many ways I would agree that the young guy at the funky pub that orders Heinekin is being a 'scene-queen', it amazed me to observe the group's devotion to, let's face it, a pretty bland beer.

Or maybe they don't want to be classed as drinking the same beer that the 'commoners' drink or the rough neck people that swear a lot cause they don't know any other word (different to the people that just swear a lot). They just want to be seen as something that defers from that - it's not like they can taste the difference in the beers.

Some person has it on their signature or tagline. Lez the weiz guy I think...

Old ancient saying 'bad people drink bad beer - just look around you'

Did anyone talk about wine? I bet they didn't all drink Banrock Station or Jacob's creek cause it's proper aussie wine for proper aussie blokes?

wow Jase.
That is along post.
Either way, with Reschs waiting to be consumed LOL I admire yoor effort in writing something so long about something we repel so much her on AHB another LOL

We are a different breed. I drink beer for 3 reason. Taste, relaxation and occasionally to get rolling drunk.
Now I can only get two out of three out of a Resches but it is still drinkable.

OOOPs I have onather bland brew brewing ATM.

Aussie bitter HEHEHE

it is too blimming hot for big beer at 30 degrees plus.
my 5c worth

What's wrong with Banrock Station ? I'm no wine expert, but I enjoy some of their releases, and also the money they have invested in wetland regeneration schemes. Believe it or not, an area about a kilometre from me benefitted from Banrock money (and I live in the thick of an urban sprawl)

The message that I got from this is that there's not too many people in the key demographic of beer drinkers with disposable income that are ever going to allow themselves to alter their perceptions and become familiar with the huge range of better beers available on the market, either local or imported. Which is quite sad, in that the effect on the market mean that there's little scope for growth in modern day Australia.

sounds like its even more important than ever that we do our part to keep the craft beer market growing :chug:
and hopefully we convert a few others along the way.

Next time you're down in Adelaide Jase, I'll take you on a short trip that will answer your questions re Banrock. ;)

I drink VB all the time and enjoy it. I drank an entire case on Australia Day. My brother drinks it, all my cousins drink it, pretty much everyone I know drinks it. Sure it's not the greatest, fanciest beer on earth but it does it's job (quenches your thirst, gets you pissed after a hard day!)

Now why was I the one picturing CUB's popular Low Carb beer and not VB? Besides, PB has had the same marketing campaign since release! Im sick of that stupid cut to 80's rock. Makes my living room feel like Im at an Irish pub.

A little OT: The one thing that gets me is everyone drinks low carb thinking they are doing themselves a favour. Then continue to munch kebabs, pizza, 3 servings at a bbq or whatever else is on hand. Like having a large big mac meal and subbing the coke for a diet coke. :rolleyes:

Dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with low carb beer as long as it doesnt have the mouth feel of soda water because of the piss poor terminal gravity. Take Hahn super dry, thin beer, yet crisp and well hopped. PB is much like a Bud, Bottled water. <_<

*takes a breath* ... End rant.

Not particularly relevant, but this is a good place to post. Sitting sipping a beer at one of the outlets for a quite reasonable WA craft brew. Couple sit down behind me and I hear the waiter doing 'the sell' on the Craft beer, light refreshing beer, blah, blah blah. Did quite a good job of explaining it. From the Male "Ah...nah, I'll have a Pure Blonde thanks" :huh:
The beer suggested by the waiter was very similar to the Blonda, except with more taste.
It's kinda like going to an International Food Court and buying Macca's.

So it's not just the mentality of the died in the wool, brand aficionado's that needs to be changed.

High time we had a HANGIN'!

What's wrong with Banrock Station ? I'm no wine expert, but I enjoy some of their releases, and also the money they have invested in wetland regeneration schemes. Believe it or not, an area about a kilometre from me benefitted from Banrock money (and I live in the thick of an urban sprawl)

It is that Banrock or JC would love to have the market share of Very Best beer. My point was that brand loyalty for beer is very strong but brand loyalty for wine is very mild. To many Very Bogan drinkers there is only one beer and all else ('I tried a pommie beer once and it was warm and flat' attitude) is crap. If you offered a Grange Hermitage to one of the articulate guys they may get all excited but if you offered a hand crafted Trappist beer they would not understand the appeal.

My point is not about the wines I named, the guys you met or even the Very Boring beer, it is the way most drinkers will be open minded with wine but closed to anything but certain megaswills.

I grew up in country Vic and there were only two types of beer - VB from a stubbie and Carlton Draught from the tap. Now 14 years after leaving that hell hole, I'm still forced to drink the stuff when I visit my folks as my old man still considers it to be a great drop. Thing is, he DOES have taste, and his scotch collection shows that (although admittedly I bought most of his better bottles for him :) ). See, he drinks scotch for the flavour, he drinks beer cause he's worked hard in the sun all day and VB, whilst not great on the flavour front IS a 10x better thirst quencher then something like a LCPA or JSAA...

I've tried to get him into some nicer beers, but he's not interested. VB is cheap and does the job, and the money saved can go into a nice bottle of 18yo whiskey.

Me, I'd rather buy the 18yo whiskey AND the nice beer. Although I'm not ashamed to admit that I've always got a 6 pack of Carlton Draught in the fridge for when I've had a hard day.

Not particularly relevant, but this is a good place to post. Sitting sipping a beer at one of the outlets for a quite reasonable WA craft brew. Couple sit down behind me and I hear the waiter doing 'the sell' on the Craft beer, light refreshing beer, blah, blah blah. Did quite a good job of explaining it. From the Male "Ah...nah, I'll have a Pure Blonde thanks" :huh:
The beer suggested by the waiter was very similar to the Blonda, except with more taste.
It's kinda like going to an International Food Court and buying Macca's.

So it's not just the mentality of the died in the wool, brand aficionado's that needs to be changed.

In my experience this is not surprising.

I spent a couple of decades plying the oceans as an Aussie Seafarer. mostly to Asia. As soon as we would set foot on foreign soil, be it Japan, Korea, Taiwan, almost everyone would do 1 of 2 things, go straight to the nearest bar to get pissed, or go straight to Maccas. I couldnt understand it! I would crawl the back streets of Mitsushima, Yokohama or Kaohsiung seeking out amazing food and local beers on tap while the others ate and drank crap.

Ok, thats stuff you ingest, but what about music? Its the same story there. Most people I know listen to the music they knew from their youth. Its like once they hit 25 BANG! forget about anything else. As a test, who here knows about great bands like Wilco or 78Saab, or Angus And Julia Stone, or even Amy Winehouse?

People exhibit similar traits when it comes to cars, cue the whole Ford/Holden nonsense (a little different but I think it helps to make the point).

All of the above have showed me that people like the familiar and they like the convenience of being able to get what they are used to. If they go to Maccas, they KNOW what the burger will taste like, and they KNOW they can get it pretty much anywhere in the world.

They KNOW they can get Fosters or VB just about anywhere they go, and they KNOW that it will be the same non-challenging beer it was back home. That doesn't make it a good drink, it just makes it safe, because this kind of mentality does not encourage independent thought.

So I'm not surprised that you (Jase) were the only one in the room with any knowledge (I wont say taste because we all have taste, its just that all our tastes are different) of different beers. If I went to work tomorrow and asked each of the 60 odd people that work there if they've heard of Little Creatures (forget the more esoteric stuff like Moo Brew) I know of one that would say he loves it and the rest wouldn't know I was talking about beer!

Cheers,
Jake

Yep, the old 5 slice (times 2), oldest marketing research con ever, obviously they got the desired result, and the cheque for producing the desired results. Accountants and Marketing dept's get the desired results to pass on to the brains trust.

The funniest thing was that there was one guy there (the one who asked 'why dont you like Very Best beer" in the pre-MR drinks that bailed out 3/4's the way through - and I don't recall seeing him on the cash sign off sheet either. So they planted a mole amongst us.

Latest posts

Back