The naming of beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my favourite names was Optometrist Ale (2 glasses and you're a spectacle).
I brewed a batch of sake once which I labelled Wry Swine - with a logo of two cunning piggies.
I have grown lazy and generally just put the month number on the lid nowadays, so I know it's vintage.

I don't usually name mine but I did once make a lager with Tettnanger called Tett Offensive

I've got some special names for some of my brews but not tellin on the internet. Just in case Its liked by any reading pro's that could just rip it off and use it haha. Who knows I might one day release a brew somehow. Can you copyright beer names?

My nickname is Willy, and my brew house is called Willy’s Brew. Naturally then, the naming of my beers are all dick related:

150 Turkey Slaps
Golden Shower Ale
Dick Hopper IPA
Mixed Ball Bag Cider
Bell End Pale Ale
Pen15 Pilsner

Just to name a few. The list does go on!!

The Naming of Beer

One of my favourite names was Optometrist Ale (2 glasses and you're a spectacle). It was stupidly high in alcohol.
I brewed a batch of sake once which I labelled Wry Swine - with a logo of two cunning piggies.
I have grown lazy and generally just put the month number on the lid nowadays, so I know its vintage.

I name mine after local streets / localities then beer style. It might sound a bit lame but I like the personality it gives my brews.

11 years into homebrewing, and I've run out of ideas for names.
I just use my old names, and put a number after it for it's current batch, for example, Twisted Gut APA 6.
Yup, it's a name I use, in honour of the M-i-L having twisted bowel surgery at the time I bewed the first batch.
I do like the idea of putting a date on the lid. I've been using my batch numbers to identify my beers.

After many years brewing (40+) I just can't be bothered with names.
Nothing against the idea, but in practice you just run out of tops or labels, & it's just a complication you don't need. After all this is not a marketing exercise right?
I can't even be sure if sometimes I am making progress or not, very hard to score your own beer & even using a log book it gets tricky just trying to determine what were the key differences.
Different malt mixes, different brewing temps, different yeast, different strengths, what could possibly go wrong?
I like to keep myself well grounded & be ready to accept criticism from anyone game enough to try my brews & for myself I try to occasionally try one or more of the better craft brewers beers. Truth is they are hard to match & most of my "volunteers" don't like well hopped beers - bugger!

It’s hard enough these days with a couple of kids to find the time to brew let alone think up of clever names for every beer. I think if that was a requirement of the hobby I would chuck it in, I just don’t see the point. But hey if that’s what floats your boat then who am I to judge?

It's one of the best parts in my opinion.
My brewery is the leaky bidon and all the brews get cycling related themes or if they Coincide with a particularly auspicious event.
Cobbled stout - bottled while watching Paris roubaix
The pox porter - brewed when home looking after a kid with chicken pox
Gravel ryder- rye amber ale
Shift down James brown - brown ale

I've started doing a few ciders and this opens a few new avenues.
So far I've had
Rankout
Depin

All done in the best possible taste

Loved the NEIPA from Bacchus brewing in Brisbane
Dmango Unstrained.

Good name, but commercial breweries use names purely as marketing (which appears to have worked in this case). Who are we marketing our beer to as homebrewers? And also I think it’s a stretch calling your homebrew equipment in the garage/bathroom/kitchen/laundry/back porch a ‘brewery’ and naming said brewery but again hey that’s just me, I’d have trouble doing it with a straight face and my brewing area is quite nice.

What else is it if not a brewery? You use it to brew beer don't you? Just because it's not set up like a scale model of a commercial operation doesn't mean it's not a brewery. However, I haven't named mine and I don't often name beers either, they just get called after whatever hops are used for APAs, other ones are just named the style they are.

What else is it if not a brewery? You use it to brew beer don't you? Just because it's not set up like a scale model of a commercial operation doesn't mean it's not a brewery. However, I haven't named mine and I don't often name beers either, they just get called after whatever hops are used for APAs, other ones are just named the style they are.

I know it is technically a brewery, but I find it weird when people name their ‘brewery’ and spend more time on beer names and designing bottle labels than on recipe formulation and actual brewing.

It’s a bit like dressing up in chef whites to cook the latest recipe off Masterchef......or microwave a pie.

I find it weird when people name their ‘brewery’
As you can see from my avatar I disagree, brewing beer is fun, naming beer is fun, developing new recipes is fun (apart from my last Lemon Sorbet Bia Hoi). The avatar hangs proudly in the Tap Room @ Triumph Brewing, so named after my broken promise of selling the Triumph when I built the brewery. We have a board, chemist, marketing manager (bullshi* bloke) an engineering manager and of course the Chief Brewer - ME!

I believe you can copyright a name but would have to prove ongoing manufacturing etc legal bulltwang or you’d loose it quick, best keep it well hidden. My nephew came up with one when we were making Australian Zombi Dust, my jaw dropped.

That reminds me there's a pub in the UK owned by two gay guys, they called it The Two Cocks

I just number my beers, I don't label or do anything like that. I might name a particularly special batch. I totally understand why people name their beers and why they might label them, it's your beer, you OWN it! And I don't care if you make your beer in the kitchen, in the shed, a factory unit or wherever. Beer is made in a brewery full stop.

IMG_0894.JPG

Some I did a few years ago for Kris Kringle

Latest posts

Back