The naming of beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm on my 5th brew so far and have been enjoying every bit of the process, from the recipe research to watching the bubblier bubble not to mention the end results.

Anyway, one part of the process that appeals to my artistic side is the name.
So far I've done
Red Bird: Clove and cinnamon stout, named after our wedding song.
Opening Gambit: Blood orange and rosemary lager, named for being my first ever solo brew.
Lucky Piper: Lime and pepper India pale ale, named as it survived a heat wave that put it's temperature too high and it's still pretty good.
Sea Dog: Salted caramel aniseed stout, named as the recipe actually called for salt (but thankfully not dog).
The one in the barrel at the moment is an Oregon pale ale and I'm brewing it for my sister in law's birthday so I guess she gets to name it.

I like to (for labeling peruses) give the beer a two word name that I can quickly put the initials on the cap.

So I was just wondering about what names you give to your brews and why.

Nothing too special, at the moment I'm drinking a "Midnight Harvest" (Dark Saison) but mostly just "Dapper" and then whatever is somewhat relevant eg. Dapper piper (Scottish Amber Ale).

Mostly because I am a gentleman (See avatar).

I must say, for only five brews under you belt you produce some fairly adventurous/experimental/exotic brews!!

I tip my hat to you sir, good show!

If I name a beer its normally the ingredients that went into it. Eg- Marris Otter grain, kent goldings hops and ringwood yeast would be called The Golden Otter from Ringwood. That way if I look up my recipe data base I know which beer is which if I want to re brew or use a particular brew as a base to make a new beer.

So how does Barry taste, Manticle? When you put him to your lips; in your mouth... :lol:

I'm horrible at naming things but I want to print off the odd label now that I have a fancy new printer. Hmmm

Mine are always some bad pun/joke on the ingredients or they've got some synonym for fat in the name (my brewery is called The Portly Gentleman Brewhouse)

Agreed about naming beers being great fun. It's the marketing ghost within dying to get out.

Some of mine off the top of my head:

I Think Therefore IPA
Tough Love Ale
Soft Oak Stout
Buddhist Bunny Wheat
Calgary Carrot Rednut
Black Mountain Big Bitter
Oh Fark Crimea Dark Ale
Pa Pa Pale Ale
The Light Stuff
Beer Ahoy Bia Hoi

I'm similar to sp0rk, they're usually bad puns or something to do with the ingredients. E.g.

A series of witbiers: "Witty", "Witty Comeback", and "Oh Snap!"
An AIPA called "1592" because it has Columbus and Centennial hops
A bright blonde ale called "Oxymoron"
A Maris Otter/Centennial SMaSH called "Transatlantic SMaSH Hit"

I had an amber ale with Ella hops called Dame Ella.
But Dame Ella went out behind my back and got it on with lacto or aceto or some such and got herself an infection.
So now she's Ella, Lady of the Night.

I sometimes combine the malt name and the hop name (if its a simple recipe)

Like a Munich and Amarillo Smash I did - Munarillo.
Mariss Otter and Galaxy - Maralaxy

Otherwise its Pale Ale 1, Pale Ale 2, etc etc

My mates seem to always remember the numbers as their favoutiters

I thought the general way of naming beers was to think of two things completely unrelated and put them together? The Woolies' Sail & Anchor range comes to mind. Lark's Foot, Boa's Bend, Monkey Fist etc. Very craft.

I've only named one and it was based on a XXXX Bitter recipe. I call it Fourex Better.

If I ever took brewing seriously I'd do it on the Murray River and have names based on the local theme. Murray Stout, Hume Lager, Foord's Pale Ale etc. Maybe boring but more traditional. It's also much easier to say "Pot of Hume barkeep" than "One Larynx Footer of whatever they are, the pale one with the funny pic".

There's no question that naming your own beers and developing a brand to sell are two very different creative processes.

How are you printing labels?

I did a run on my canon bubble jet and the ink ran as soon as the bottles were chilled

Laser printer. It'll last a few rounds of washing, just try to keep it as dry as possible, the soaking doesn't affect the print, but itll dissolve the glue.

Thanks Ealing drop. That is something I’ve been keen to sort out for ages!

Might even see if office works can print it.

There's no question that naming your own beers and developing a brand to sell are two very different creative processes.

Agreed. I cant see Dan's stocking Tettenang FingerBang anytime soon.

Latest posts

Back