The Demise Of Another Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happens when the yanks come here? 3 craft/micro breweries FFS?

I now understand what you're saying. That may be the case in QLD, but not here in WA.

Perth has over 20 when you include those in the outer suburbs and Swan Valley etc, along with more industrial operations like Gage Roads etc. Add another ~ 10 in south west WA.

At some point, a few will topple, purely due to them either not having the right model for their local market, or not producing quality product.

The truth is, if your product is accepted, then you will succeed.
Depends how many people its accepted by.... ;)
Cannot say I know anything about the beer produced, but I think the posts you have put up indicate an idiot at hand.
Hey ///, play fair, I never called you an Idiot... Idiot!!!!!!
Do we take your posts in regards to wedding venues and such as jest?
Take em as you like ///, have you experience in this department????
Craft Beer hard to sell, not on my experience.
Why are they asking for Tax Relief then?????? Just dont sell enough??
Nothing worse than voyeurs with a business plan, other than an online critic with a proposed business plan ...
Not sure what you are on about there but obviously your Business is going great guns? Good work. :beerbang:
Sorry, this is the comment that has really done my head in. I ask you the one question, if you know what shit tastes like it does scare me, how do you know this? Make a sunday habit of it? Bit like drinking "piss". I move on ....

If I take this post at face value, I consider you wrong when it comes to anything to do with trade and professional brewing in general.

Scotty
Has your head caved in? Not sure what "done my head in" means..... Sorry, wrong words on my behalf, ive only smelt shit, not tasted it but if something smells like shit, I wont be eating it or my kids for that matter, they are used to real food the has Colour, Flavour and Aroma...

Take it how you like, Face Value or not, but Im stating MY opinion and you wouldnt have a fooking idea what I know about Business.... Just because you know something about something or think you are good at something, doesnt mean you will be successful at that something, obviously you are.... Scotty

All :icon_offtopic: but arent we entitled to our opinion.... Maybe this was your Business Scotty?????

Love Friday nights......

I now understand what you're saying. That may be the case in QLD, but not here in WA.

Perth has over 20 when you include those in the outer suburbs and Swan Valley etc, along with more industrial operations like Gage Roads etc. Add another ~ 10 in south west WA.

At some point, a few will topple, purely due to them either not having the right model for their local market, or not producing quality product.

Yes I agree. I know how lucky you guys are in the west suffering from choice and trust me I relish the thought of 20 odd independant brewers in Qld. When your starved for comparison your judgement can be somewhat skewed we have such little choice that to lose one is a shakespearian tregedy. :icon_cheers:

Point taken, hughman

I was referring to some posts about weddings, 300+ micros, etc and the sniping between other posters.

I replied to some relevant posts via PM.

Sure, times are bad, but the beer is a constant. Good beer always sells no matter what peripheral enhancements (restaurant, wedding function, etc) you try.

I have never denigrated their brews. But, also I have never offered my opinions either. You can see this as you like, but I am a supporter of the industry and a professional.

The comment about poorly brewed beer was an honest reference to some inherent problems. Maybe a poor choice of forum, but I feel I am amongst friends.

Yeah, I'd love to get a brewery up here. But as I've said to others here and elsewhere, the industry can be damaged by "fly-by-night" operators and the stain is hard to remove.

WJ

Truth Is the brewery got a bad name, by some accounts deserved.May be bad management and poor cash flow, who knows.The result remains. Down the shiter! AHB bulk buy! , that seems to be the way to go.Ever body chuck in $500 and we can buy the thing and make a million bucks. :rolleyes: WJ any idea on whats happening with the bussiness ?
GB

chuck in $500 and we can buy the thing and make a million bucks. :rolleyes: WJ any idea on whats happening with the bussiness ?

Why Not? we can provide a pool of venture capital, free labour, and a huge range of great recipes. Turn it into the AHB coop brewery, each take turns brewing, both for ourselves and for sale.

DO IT.

According to the newspaper article, the owners of the White Star, who were the main investors of Tanglehead, want to negotiate with the liquidators a price for plant and stock. This with a view to continuing the brewery and restaurant.

A hiding to nothing, I would think.

Mind you, the "White Star Hotel and Brewery" sounds great here.

WJ

Why Not? we can provide a pool of venture capital, free labour, and a huge range of great recipes. Turn it into the AHB coop brewery, each take turns brewing, both for ourselves and for sale.

DO IT.
Yes, I wasnt joking.Could actually work.Money(capital) is the first hurdle, then management.The rest comes after that.Any liquidation accountants on AHB?
AHB brewery, no I dont think so unless some one can give me a good reason for it..
A private company with share holders is the way it would need to be set up.
I am sure there is enough expertise on the site to at least get a viable plan together ?
GB

...... I know how lucky you guys are in the west suffering from choice......

:icon_offtopic:
I actually thought the options were better in Melbourne and possibly even Sydney as compared to WA, but that will come with the population I guess.

Oh my god. This thread is a train wreck.

So many arguments and so many people who clearly aren't reading the thing they are disagreeing with. I've never wanted to turn my back on a fight so bad in all my life.

I will say this, however:

Can we please stay on topic? This means you!

Mods, can you deal?

Man up.

Yes, I wasnt joking.Could actually work.Money(capital) is the first hurdle, then management.The rest comes after that.Any liquidation accountants on AHB?
AHB brewery, no I dont think so unless some one can give me a good reason for it..
I am sure there is enough expertise on the site to at least get a viable plan together ?
GB

Christ, I wish this conversation was happening during business hours and not at 11:30 Friday night. Could have been interesting.

OK, I have a few questions.

1- Who here has tried their beers?
2- What range did they have?
3- Were they good?
4- What was their business model?
5- What sort of people live in Albany? ie is it a mining town, office district etc

Just need some basic info to really know what is going down in Albany.

GB

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who has thought about this very same thing before. Since most of us are amateurs we all have a huge range of skills from our other jobs/lives which could all be applicable.

Christ, I wish this conversation was happening during business hours and not at 11:30 Friday night. Could have been interesting.

Agreed. Lets discuss it again tomorrow in a less cancerous thread?

According to the newspaper article, the owners of the White Star, who were the main investors of Tanglehead, want to negotiate with the liquidators a price for plant and stock. This with a view to continuing the brewery and restaurant.

WJ
Would be nice to know who the secured creditors are ? A major bank is my guess.A liquidating accountancy company is going to charge the earth per hour and strip the company of any of its capital worth.These situations are difficult and take fore ever to see the end of the tunnel or to work out who's shafting who.
GB

I was there a couple of weeks ago and found most of the beers to be 'OK' but certainly not bad. The IPA was an exception which was extremely tasty. :icon_drunk:
Hopefully the silver lining in this cloud will be if the plant is purchased and retained locally with perhaps a different brewing and marketing direction that will capture both the local and tourist audience like in Warrnambool (similar demographic) where Gerard established a good foundation for The Flying Horse.

Truth Is the brewery got a bad name, by some accounts deserved.May be bad management and poor cash flow, who knows.The result remains. Down the shiter! AHB bulk buy! , that seems to be the way to go.Ever body chuck in $500 and we can buy the thing and make a million bucks. :rolleyes: WJ any idea on whats happening with the bussiness ?
GB

Well said GB.. ;)

:icon_offtopic:
I wasnt stating what people should do within their business just what my personal experiences are, I think that Business owners/managers/operators really need to think outside the square these days in business to be able to succeed... Maybe do/focus on something different/unique from the norm and enhance their original idea.... Restaurants are everywhere now and they are all struggling to make a buck due to their massive overheads/wages/costs etc....

We struggled for 3 years trying and sticking to a vision(and also not having a Liquor Licence), it is now paying off in the Wedding Market and also opening for Breakfast, Lunches and Morning & Afternoon Teas(all these being much more affordable for Customers these days than Dinner), but we had to stay open for Dinner for a period of time to establish ourself as a Restaurant that offered great food and service... And yes, probably at least 1/2 million $$ has been put into the place to keep it afloat to get it to the stage where it is supporting itself....

As its been said, its done and dusted now and yes there are too many fly-by nighters with a few $$ and no idea.. Not saying this is what happened.....

:beer: CB

I was there a couple of weeks ago and found most of the beers to be 'OK' but certainly not bad. The IPA was an exception which was extremely tasty. :icon_drunk:
If its not "I must go there for the beer situation" given its location then its a hard business to develop a marketing plan for.As they have found out.I doubt its a global down turn that has caused its demise . as we know we dont have a global demise here in WA.
GB

investors
First problem, "investors" want a return, Straight away.... Thats why they invest.. Generally....... :huh:
Money(capital) is the first hurdle
Yes, 1st.
then management
Yes, 2nd.
The rest comes after that
Yes...
I'm sure I'm not the only person here who has thought about this very same thing before. Since most of us are amateurs we all have a huge range of skills from our other jobs/lives which could all be applicable
Very true, and would save alot of $$$, and a return eventually for our time.... ;)
A liquidating accountancy company is going to charge the earth per hour and strip the company of any of its capital worth.These situations are difficult and take fore ever to see the end of the tunnel or to work out who's shafting who.
Yes, the Liquidating Accountancy Firm is the 1st to get their money before anyone, otherwise they wouldnt do it.... Thats why it ends up Creditors only getting $0.01 in the dollar, the Liquidators have taken the rest... :angry:

Cheers
:beer: CB

Mind you, the "White Star Hotel and Brewery" sounds great here.

WJ
WJ do you know who's the liquidation company ? Im out of AU till the 29th October, but these things dont move quick any way.
GB

Back