Want A Brewery ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slightly OT..

One of my 'i can't drink that, where's the label' friends surprised me the other month when he started talking up one of the newly opened brew on premises businesses in SE Melb. Must have been a hot topic at work as he was genuinely trying to convince me that I should come along with him and make some cheap beer using all fresh ingredients.

Was somewhat taken back when I told him um, yes, I do know all about the place, actually went along to their opening day to see what it was about. Am rather familiar with extract brewing (decided to pass on the fresh ingredients opening), BUT the part he struggled with was when I told him he could make that same beer at home for 1/3 of the price, as i've done for years..

apparently it's not homebrew when you make it in a commercial premesis

Sounds a lot like brew by you but I think it might not be, although I had heard they we closing, so I guess selling up = closing.

look closely at the pics, left if brew by you, right is the one under discussion
image003.jpg
158_100_3127.jpg

I agree re the figures above, if he is making $190k why the hell would you sell, stick in a manager and retire.

RE brew by you, I have been wondering why he hasn't gone down the road of making fresh wort kits, it would mean a change in direction to using grain and not extract but there is a market out there for them, the cost of shipping one down here is horrendous, maybe I should organise a pallet?

PS.
My wife got me some goo there for xmas, and another thing called an oztops, I haven't pointed out to here it is a year past its best before, or that I'm not really interested in it.

Sounds a lot like brew by you but I think it might not be, although I had heard they we closing, so I guess selling up = closing.

RE brew by you, I have been wondering why he hasn't gone down the road of making fresh wort kits, it would mean a change in direction to using grain and not extract but there is a market out there for them,
I think the reason they haven't made fresh wort kits is that it would mean more capital outlay for mashing gear.
the cost of shipping one down here is horrendous, maybe I should organise a pallet?
:icon_offtopic:
Yeah, they cost plenty cause they're mostly water, better to ship dry ingredients (grain) and add your own water ;)

On that note, we might have to start organising pallets of grain to Tassie if BBY does close.

On that note, we might have to start organising pallets of grain to Tassie if BBY does close.

Was involved a while back with the fodder to outback program to feed starving cattle / sheep.

Let's get Current Affair to organise a "Grains to Thirsty Tasmanians Appeal" - wheel John Farnham out to sing a song and go on his next farewell tour.

Don't worry Tasmanians - even though you aren't Australians, we think of you as our brothers !! :party:

(from a NSWelshman who won't forget who you beat to steal our Sheffield Shield ! :ph34r: )

:icon_offtopic:
Let's get Current Affair to organise a "Grains to Thirsty Tasmanians Appeal" - wheel John Farnham out to sing a song and go on his next farewell tour.
As long as it doesn't involve John Farnham it sounds good to me.
Don't worry Tasmanians - even though you aren't Australians, we think of you as our brothers !! :party:
(from a NSWelshman who won't forget who you beat to steal our Sheffield Shield ! :ph34r: )
Well, occasionally we get the chance to show Australians how the game is played. :p

brew by you's new location. Main Rd Moonah, in the yellow shop next up the road from Cooleys hotel, shop used to be Wignall's Smallgoods.

Its a pretty small shop, walking distance from work for me.

Latest posts

Back