The Demise Of Another Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whistlingjack

Dipl. Braumeister VLB, Berlin
Reaction score
Quoted from "Albany and Great Southern Weekender" dated 15 October 2009...

"Albany's Tanglehead Brewing Company has been placed in liquidation"

Company spokesman Simon Bairstow stated "The owners had a vision to bring a micro-brewing and restaurant concept to Albany and had high hopes of success. However, the current economic crisis and general difficulties being experienced broadly by the hospitality industry meant the business wasn't able to recover"

Nothing to say about the poor standard of brewing?

WJ

What's happening with your Venture WJ ? Maybe a good option for you, firesale and all of that, buy in cheap and revamp the joint.

Company spokesman Simon Bairstow stated "The owners had a vision to bring a micro-brewing and restaurant concept to Albany and had high hopes of success. However, the current economic crisis and general difficulties being experienced broadly by the hospitality industry meant the business wasn't able to recover"

WJ

Very tough game Hospitality, doesnt matter how good anything is.... <_<

Weddings are the Goldmine, forget Restaurants in General and the public supporting you... Put a Wedding Reception Venue together with A Micro-Brewery and you have a winner... :D

We are now going great guns with weddings and if I won Gold Lotto, I would put in a Micro Brewery aswell, the 2 would be an awesome match...

:icon_cheers: CB

WJ

Sad really Australia just hasn't been able toween itself of the Megaswill. I was in the state 2 years ago and it seemed like every second town had it's own brewery. It was sensational! Have a look at BABBs members Ross and Pocket beers FFS 300 craft beers in 2 weeks! :eek:

What happens when the yanks come here? 3 craft/micro breweries FFS?

Sometimes Aussie ignorance makes me cry.

Chap Chap

Sad really Australia just hasn't been able toween itself of the Megaswill. I was in the state 2 years ago and it seemed like every second town had it's own brewery. It was sensational! Have a look at BABBs members Ross and Pocket beers FFS 300 craft beers in 2 weeks! :eek:

Chap Chap

Craft Breweries are like good Food mate, very hard to do and sell :( .....

Megaswill and Shit Food.... Big Winner... Unfortunately... :angry:

And it all starts from your kids, feed em shit, they will keep eating shit....... Give em Food with Colour, Flavour and Aroma and they will grow up Eating and Drinking Food/Wine/Beer with Colour, Flavour and Aroma.....

Spit it out Chappo,
If we were weening ourselves off of megaswill, perhaps the Japs (Kirin) would go away. The yanks??? Who What beer. FFS get out of your hole and experience real beer.

Heavy marketing towards a drinking society is what has the vast majority of the populance drinking CUB or LN beers. My partner's work is having an Oktoberfest (in late October so you know they had it wrong from the get go) ... their idea of top notch imports in the spirit of the event are Beck's, Heineken and Stella Artois! FFS only one is actually German and it's not even Bavarian, in fact all of those beers are national equivalents for our VB ableit a little tastier.

It does come down in part to ignorance, but I think a lot of it is that hops, malt and yeast esters/phenols ie. flavour are a bit beyond most or at least take too much getting used too for them to be given a serious try.

Another thing is that the wine industry is so huge over here. Specialty beers just don't get a look in. From what I've experienced aside from a few select wine growing regions the US doesn't have much in the way of a wine industry.

Spit it out Chappo,
If we were weening ourselves off of megaswill, perhaps the Japs (Kirin) would go away. The yanks??? Who What beer. FFS get out of your hole and experience real beer.

Ta Haysie dats what I wanted to say! :icon_cheers:

WJ
Can we please stay on topic?
I think we are, do you think they went broke because of the Poor Standard of Brewing or the G.F.C??

Just stating certain issues of why Business's like this are going broke.....

Also alot of Business's problems these days are the way they are run and having a Vision that is already doomed for failure before it starts, a bit of research before you invest all your money these days will help you go alot further, also, most business owners dont have the capital to operate under the worst circumstances for a least the 1st 3 years of Business for Long Term success....

Anyhow, its a shame, but im sure someone is to blame...........

I think we are, do you think they went broke because of the Poor Standard of Brewing or the G.F.C??

Just stating certain issues of why Business's like this are going broke.....

Also alot of Business's problems these days are the way they are run and having a Vision that is already doomed for failure before it starts, a bit of research before you invest all your money these days will help you go alot further, also, most business owners dont have the capital to operate under the worst circumstances for a least the 1st 3 years of Business for Long Term success....

Its so easy to blame the "economic climate" for your failure. The truth is, if your product is accepted, then you will succeed.

WJ

Cannot say I know anything about the beer produced, but I think the posts you have put up indicate an idiot at hand. Do we take your posts in regards to wedding venues and such as jest? Craft Beer hard to sell, not on my experience.

Nothing worse than voyeurs with a business plan, other than an online critic with a proposed business plan ...

Scotty

And it all starts from your kids, feed em shit, they will keep eating shit....... Give em Food with Colour, Flavour and Aroma and they will grow up Eating and Drinking Food/Wine/Beer with Colour, Flavour and Aroma.....

Sorry, this is the comment that has really done my head in. I ask you the one question, if you know what shit tastes like it does scare me, how do you know this? Make a sunday habit of it? Bit like drinking "piss". I move on ....

If I take this post at face value, I consider you wrong when it comes to anything to do with trade and professional brewing in general.

Scotty

Chap Chap

I'll claim Aussie ignorance here - I don't understand what you're talking about? :)

What has Ross got to do with Tanglehead making poor quality beer, leading to their demise?

I'll claim Aussie ignorance here - I don't understand what you're talking about? :)

What has Ross got to do with Tanglehead making poor quality beer, leading to their demise?

I suppose my point was they were recently in the USA and had 300+ craft/micro beers without too much trouble. Could we boast the same here? Even 25 would be a push, no?

I suppose my point was they were recently in the USA and had 300+ craft/micro beers without too much trouble. Could we boast the same here? Even 25 would be a push, no?

An afternoon stroll around Fremantle would yield more than 25 locally brewed beers. Bring a car along, and you could do 50 in the day if you wanted to with a trip to the Swan Valley via Last Drop and back via Indian Ocean.

Sure, you can't do 300+ over here, but we don't have the same population. I'm incredibly impressed lately with the variety over here. It's simply astounding, hundreds of international imports, some great local micros. If the poor quality ones happen to drop off, then I'm not that concerned. It only ruins the impact for anyone tasting craft beer for the first time.

edit - I should say - you can't do 300+ local beers over here. Stores like the International Beer Shop stock around that number though.

Excuse me if I say it in a less subtle way...

Can we please stay on topic? This means you!

Mods, can you deal?

WJ

Reading your OP WJ,

What was the topic? Done to death, move on.

Excuse me if I say it in a less subtle way...

Can we please stay on topic? This means you!

Mods, can you deal?

WJ

WJ, it seems the only topic you want to discuss is not the closure of the brewery but the poor quality of their beer (something we have all discussed at some point and has been done to death). now that they are closed there doesnt seem much point in continually rubbishing them.

so if we cant discuss the bigger picture here (ie why small scale micros fail) maybe we should close the tanglehead bashing thread and open a new one to discuss what you will do with your new brewing qualifications to bring a good quality brewhaus to the great southern region - there appears to be a brewery up for sale after all....

:icon_cheers:

Back