Temperature Regulators

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verbyla

Reaction score
I've got a heating pad and have found that its really helped keep the temperature of my brew up on those cold days. My dilemma is that at this point of time in the year everyday is cold and i can't just let the heating pad stay on all day as it'll make things to hot and its to difficult turning it on and off all the time. I've recently discovered that i can buy a temperature regulator and just wire that up to my heating pad to maintain a constant temperature.

I'm find that when i look at the on websites they all seem to be slightly different in one way or another and there is a bit of a difference in price but i don't know whather the increased price means better quality.

Money isn't really an issue. Any thoughts on which one i should purchase???

I've used the first link and the last link, both good units. The G&G unit I got over ten years ago and works well to this day. I like the craftbrewer unit because of the heating/cooling options.

I've used the first link and the last link, both good units. The G&G unit I got over ten years ago and works well to this day. I like the craftbrewer unit because of the heating/cooling options.

TempMate.

I use fridgemate at the moment, but look to upgrade at some stage. This has both heating and cooling and a finer resolution, thus finer degree of control over your fermentation in both directions.

If money is not an option, this is the unit as far as I know.

Ive been looking at the tempmate lately and wondering about that fridge in the shed. Old and a bit rattly but works. Disgusting inside as previous owner used it as a BBQ meat storage fridge so theres a decent amount of cleanup needed. However I brew Ales. Not put down a lager yet. With Ales I dont know if you get any bang fom your buck fermenting in a temperature control fridge? Is it just for the benefit primarily noticeable in lagers?

I've got a heating pad and have found that its really helped keep the temperature of my brew up on those cold days. My dilemma is that at this point of time in the year everyday is cold and i can't just let the heating pad stay on all day as it'll make things to hot and its to difficult turning it on and off all the time. I've recently discovered that i can buy a temperature regulator and just wire that up to my heating pad to maintain a constant temperature.

I'm find that when i look at the on websites they all seem to be slightly different in one way or another and there is a bit of a difference in price but i don't know whather the increased price means better quality.

Money isn't really an issue. Any thoughts on which one i should purchase???

Gday Verbyla,

I use a unit called an ATC-800, which I got off ebay (The guy has an ebay store and sells a few of them, do a search). It will control both heat and cooling to 1 degree either side of my set target temperature.

I decided to go for a unit that will heat and cool after a couple of brews in Melbourne in inconsistant weather, resulting in quite large temerature flucuations, as I wasn't always home to heat or cool using other manual methods.

I have my fermenter sitting on top of a heat pad which sits inside an old fridge. The heater is connected to the heat port, and the firdge to the cool port. I find that this time of year, especially brewing ales, the fridge is hardly on at all, however it does act as a great insulating box.

I drilled a hole in the top of my fermenter and use a small rubber gromet that I got from super cheap auto, to put the temperature probe inside the fermenter into the wort. This way you are actually controlling your wort temperature (but make sure you sanitise the temperature probe first!).

Whichever way you decide to go, having recently been through this myself, I recommend you consider:

• What temperature range can the target be set to? Is this suitable for the type of beer you want to brew?
  • Will it heat and cool? Just heat? Just cool? If it is single function, can it be manually switched from heat funtion to cool?
  • What range either side of your target will it maintain? (normally user set, 1-5deg either side of target temp, the lower the setting the more consistant your temperature, the higher, the less on/off cycles of your equipment)
  • Does it have a compressor delay feature? (Used only if you are going to use a fridge, or upgrade to one in the future). This will set the minimum time between fridge turning off and fridge turning on to increase the life of your compressor.
Hope I've helped, happy to answer any other questions.

Bumma.

TempMate.

I use fridgemate at the moment, but look to upgrade at some stage. This has both heating and cooling and a finer resolution, thus finer degree of control over your fermentation in both directions.

If money is not an option, this is the unit as far as I know.

I agree, this is the way to go. I just bought two Tempmates and like them much better than the fridgemate (although they are also a very nice unit).
Spend the extra dollars and you will have a unit that will control heat and cool at the same time. You won't be wishing you did sometime down the track. :rolleyes:
I used to live in Melbourne....hot and cold on the same day isn't unusual is it? :D

Cheers,
Bud

I love my TempMate.
Does everything I want.
And, with the help of this forum, it was easy to wire up.

Does TempMate come with temperature probe or do you have to buy that separately? Can any be used?

When wiring, I assume you just wire it directly to the compressor motor of the fridge or freezer and are then fully in control and bypass any built in frost-free cycles?

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Brewer Pete, I was under the impression that you didn't have to wire it directly to the compressor motor of the fridge or freezer but just plugged the appliance into the female end of the extension cable you wired up to the temperature regulator.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go for the TempMate now. Although it does cost slightly extra i can see myself buying the cheaper one and regretting it later on.

Final question. Is the sensor that comes with the TempMate okay to submerge in the brew or is it best to let it sit just about the brew???

Brewer Pete, I was under the impression that you didn't have to wire it directly to the compressor motor of the fridge or freezer but just plugged the appliance into the female end of the extension cable you wired up to the temperature regulator.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go for the TempMate now. Although it does cost slightly extra i can see myself buying the cheaper one and regretting it later on.

Final question. Is the sensor that comes with the TempMate okay to submerge in the brew or is it best to let it sit just about the brew???

Thanks the warra I see how its done.

Looks like easiest is the put a female extension cord plug on the end of the cool, and just plug the fridge in to that. What I assume is done is just crank the thermostat down in the fridge to lowest and let the TempMate cut off power to the fridge when the sensor reaches the target temperature. Pretty easy with less wiring. Will keep the brains of the fridge/freezer in control so not sure how it would avoid defrost cycles doing it that way, but I'm talking without first hand experience with the setup (yet, contemplating getting one).

Brewer Pete, I think that temp control is the ABSOLUTE BEST bang for buck I have spent on my beers and I only brew ales. It keeps all of the esters in check and at the levels you want.

I have had great beers fermented without temp control, but I am really sensitive to the yeast flavours.

I regularly ferment starting at 18 and ramp up to finish around 21 or 22. There is no way I could easily do this otherwise.

I don't know how much more epmphasis I could put on "GO FOR IT !!!"

ED: I also sit them at 0 degrees until I am ready to bottle, which really cleans an ale up.

I'm looking to get a bit of temp control in the near future as well -

if I use a temp or fridge mate on a fridge with a small freezer, are both units working at the same set temp or will they continue to operate independantly of each other?

Kev

the fridge freezer only has 1 compressor and if your temp probe is in the fridge, the tempmate will controll the temp in there and your freezer will be probably colder but may not freeze

Cold enough to store brewing ingredients?

Thought, beer fermenting in the fridge, hops etc in the freezer?

Sounds like it's not likely....

I'm looking to get a bit of temp control in the near future as well -

if I use a temp or fridge mate on a fridge with a small freezer, are both units working at the same set temp or will they continue to operate independantly of each other?

Kev

Work at the same time. My fridge is nearly as old as me so it ices up even though the fridge compartment is at 18C. However I believe you will have difficulty using the freezer as a freezer with more modern fridge/freezer combo's because they feed of the same compressor/components.

Chappo

seeing you're around in banana bender territory there kev, maybe call into to see one of the sponsors for a bit of info

I got my tempmate from CB when on holidays and lots of the local brewing fraternity seem to hang out there ;)

seeing you're around in banana bender territory there kev, maybe call into to see one of the sponsors for a bit of info

I got my tempmate from CB when on holidays and lots of the local brewing fraternity seem to hang out there
Had planned to, this thread has helped get a few ideas together....

Have a mate who's an old sparkie too so i don't kill myself and others!

Latest posts

Back