Tell The Truth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and may i add to that, BoilerBoy makes a STUNNING Coopers Sparkling Ale clone, without a can opener (and he's generally busier than a one-armed juggler with crabs - so don't make the "i don't have time" excuse)

So why do i AG?
1. I'm a tinkerer & gain great pleasure from looking for the right bits to use to make my own brewery equipment just the way I want it
2. I'm a control freak. With AG I can do whatever I want, however I want, whenever I want. (I can't do that with a tin of goo) :p
3. I like cooking and adding my own twist / love.
4. The addition of caring and nurturing for the resultant product adds to the enjoyment of both the creation and consumption.
5. I reckon I make better beer cheaper than what i can buy what is usually crap commercial beer.
6. No extract twang. (need I say more)
7. I love to learn & have found that with AG brewing there is so much in so many areas that can be explored.
8. I like variety. With AG, the number of possible combinations of grain/hops/water profile/yeast/temp etc is enormous! Much more so than what I can obtain from using kits & adding bits.
9. It is a great excuse to get out of the house & into the shed! :super:

We all have our own reasons, but the're mine.

I never thought you to be the warm and fuzzy type of guy. CD. :p

Totally misguided, maybe slightly deranged, possibly neurotic, but a warm and fuzzy type of guy none the less.

I like making good home crafted beer too. One day I might succeed ! :rolleyes:

Totally misguided, maybe slightly deranged, possibly neurotic, but a warm and fuzzy type of guy none the less.
thanks FGZ, I'll have to advise the MRS - incase there is anything she's missed B). I'm sure that i've picked up some of those characteristics from the company i keep here & in the ISB :lol:

I like making good home crafted beer too. One day I might succeed ! :rolleyes:
Stick at it - your xmas case entry was good.

After only just recently trying my first AG homebrewed beers in a case swap, I can confidently say that AG beers are better than anything you can create with Kits and Extract.

There are so many variations you can play with AG brews that are simply not possible with K+K. I think the one thing that grabbed my attention after trying my first few was the variation in malt character from beer to beer, even when they were of a similiar style.
You can utilise hops and yeast quite well with an All-Extract, but you're going to be pretty limited by what sort of flavour and body you get from your malts.

There are also a lot of ratings on ratebeer. Click here for the 50 top rated Australian beers. Nice to see Murrays on top. :chug:

Found it very intersting that Australia's biggest selling beers don't make it into the top 50 rated beer in Australia. Which makes me wonder whether the majority of the beer consuming public here walk on their hand and talk out their back sides. Because I can't understand if it tastes so bad compared everything else available they are so eager to part with their hard earnt pennies to buy junk.

SpillMostOfit said:
If you do not have or cannot identify a sewing machine, there is no problem. A big swatch of Swiss Voile baggie material can be used just as well without this so-called 'sewing' caper. Push it into the pot, add the grain and make sure the floppy-over-edge bits don't catch fire..

If you can't get Swiss Vollie, run down to spotlight and get wedding veil material it great for making mash bags for esky's it's strong enough to hold up to 7kg's of wet grain and effiency is pretty good with it also. My missus was a wiz on the overlocker....

Found it very intersting that Australia's biggest selling beers don't make it into the top 50 rated beer in Australia. Which makes me wonder whether the majority of the beer consuming public here walk on their hand and talk out their back sides. Because I can't understand if it tastes so bad compared everything else available they are so eager to part with their hard earnt pennies to buy junk.

Marketing is a big factor.
People only know the big brands and don't go to the trouble of finding anything else (I didn't for years either).
The majority of bottle shops sell nothing else but the big brands.
Peer pressure, partly due to marketing.
The mainstream beers are lowest common denominator, unlikely to offend anybody and equally unlikely to excite them.
And then there's the talking out the back side bit. :D

Marketing is a big factor.
People only know the big brands and don't go to the trouble of finding anything else (I didn't for years either).
The majority of bottle shops sell nothing else but the big brands.
Peer pressure, partly due to marketing.
The mainstream beers are lowest common denominator, unlikely to offend anybody and equally unlikely to excite them.
And then there's the talking out the back side bit. :D

Honesty I do understand exactly why it happens, but still I find it so very hard to swallow. Seriously they just don't know what they are missing. I'm thinking "The Matrix" at the moment "Am I really drinking good beer or is it the matrix telling me I'm drinking good beer?"

Honesty I do understand exactly why it happens, but still I find it so very hard to swallow. Seriously they just don't know what they are missing. I'm thinking "The Matrix" at the moment "Am I really drinking good beer or is it the matrix telling me I'm drinking good beer?"

Oops. Sorry. I guess you just triggered off a rant. :)

I agree, does seem like the Matrix. Once you're on the outside, you can see how it works. But how to set free everyone on the inside. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it's time for me to have a little lie down. :lol:

my mate told me a kit brewer is someone whos just to tight to buy commercial beer i think thats a bit rough

i think a kit brewer is just someone unenlightened & an AG brewer is an enlightened soul in pursuit of his or her dreams (the perfect beer) :D

Slartybartfast had a killer 3 tier rig, but the mice confiscated it... ;)

OK,

So as I imagined would have happened people have missed the point completely.

Read what I have said and not what you think I have said.

I am NOT doubting that All Grain beer is actually better than K&K.

What I am saying is that pretentious attitudes from some quarters towards K&K brewers is complete BS. I am amazed that it is believed, by becoming an AG brewer you suddenly increase IQ points and are able to experiment etc etc etc.

I shall refrain from continuing the discussion around flavour and taste buds, anyone that has done the true blindfold tests with food, knows that the human body can be tricked.

This reminds me of the Coffee Zealots at work, Oh no you can't go to that coffee shop their coffee tastes like bark...OMG....

Your Loving Servant
Brownie.

I haven't seen anyone saying you can't get this knowledge from brewing kits or whatver, just that you are more likely to take the trouble do so if you are spending so much longer on your brewing

If you can't get Swiss Vollie, run down to spotlight and get wedding veil material it great for making mash bags for esky's it's strong enough to hold up to 7kg's of wet grain and effiency is pretty good with it also. My missus was a wiz on the overlocker....

Running away from the topic at hand, but I BIAB'd 16 dry kilograms of grain the other day and my stitching held up as did the voile itself... I think Swiss Voile may be the magic fabric: great for both simple and complex filters, food safe (whatever that means), cheap...

I think anyone who is brewing kits and feels they are doing all the basics right but are still not getting a good beer should immediately jump to and read this thread

It will prevent you giving up brewing and give you a great beer straight away.

Go for it!
Pat

Running away from the topic at hand, but I BIAB'd 16 dry kilograms of grain the other day and my stitching held up as did the voile itself... I think Swiss Voile may be the magic fabric: great for both simple and complex filters, food safe (whatever that means), cheap...

16 Kg is that a record for the Brew In A Bag system?

Can we get some pic's for the jedi padawans thinking of crossing to the dark side via a bag?

- Luke

Pretty much been said already - there's no 'best way' for everyone, thats like saying theres a 'best car' for everyone: ain't gonna happen. I love my Valiant because its old, retro, comfy, roomy and powerful. I can also work on it myself. My mate loves his Camry because its gold, has power everything plus a good sound system, and gets good mileage. He could care less about what happens under the bonnet.

I like K&B because its easy, cheap and I live in a dorm so I'm limited to a partially empty wardrobe in which I can brew. I enjoy the beers I brew and my mates reckon they aren't bad either. My best recipe actually includes dextrose, would you believe it, and yet people swear it tastes just like Heineken. In the end it comes down to how you go about things in general as a person, what constraints you have [money, space, time] and more importantly what YOU want.

Cheers - boingk

16 dry kg?
What size pot did you do that in?

stagga.

16 Kg is that a record for the Brew In A Bag system?

Can we get some pic's for the jedi padawans thinking of crossing to the dark side via a bag?

- Luke

I'm claiming it as a record! At the risk of hijacking the discussion, I was very pleased it all held up (although I had no doubts whatsoever :unsure: ) and I think with my new DoubleLayer(tm) design, I could mash in an Olympic swimming pool.

There were no pics taken. We were too busy brewing and drinking, basically. I'm bottling my half of it tomorrow (well, I was going to today until Murphy knocked at the door and trashed my SuperAutomatica), along with an appropriate dose of oak and vanilla infused Wild Turkey at priming time...

16 dry kg?
What size pot did you do that in?

stagga.

My Handy Dandy 75litre pot. We ended up with about 40 litres of wort into cubes after a 3-man DunkSparge(tm) and a 90 minute boil. I wasn't measuring gravities because I was attempting to illustrate how easy the system is and because Velophile made me drink more beer...

I have to tell you... I love this All Grain Beer Caper.

Back