Tell The Truth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another analogy for you (as if you needed anymore):

Kits are like Windows, AG is like Linux.

I have no idea where OSX fits in here, but as it's built on a decent underlying kernel, I'm guessing it can be either.

If you want it to be, it can even be like Unix... :D

OSX is actually a really good analogy in my view - the underlying software machinery is technically very sound and allows the user to get as involved in the machinations as they wish (AG), but there is a glossy, user-friendly interface that allows the user to ignore it all and just get the job done if they wish (BIAB).

Is buying a commercial beer like buying a packaged computer system from Harvey Norman?

hahaha, you puter nerds and BIABers crack me up :)

You might compare K&K to AG, like a packet mix or chicken tonight is to cooking fully from scratch.
It tastes okay, but would be heaps better if you put in the full effort (and took out all the additives/preservative etc).

I'm slowly making my way slowly towards Partials & AG's, but still do K&K's.
(Although, I don't see the point in making a ginger beer. I'll be sticking with Bundaberg for now.)

Can someone also recommend some good unique beers which rate well??

Michael Jackson's Great Beer Guide is a good place to look for top rated beers.
Link

As someone else pointed out, it is good to taste a wide range of beers so that you can work out for yourself what you like and don't like.

I like the cake analogy myself.

- you can go to the shops & buy a ready made cake, OR
- you can go to the supermarket & buy a packet mix, add water or milk & cook, OR
- you can buy butter, flour, eggs etc mix it, bake it & decorate it.

I know which one tastes better - the one which has been personalised and made with love and care.

Same with beer:
- you can go to the grog shop & buy it ready made,
- you can go to bigw/lhbs & buy a tin of goo & add sugar & water, or
- you can go AG.

Like pretty well everyone I started with K&K, made some very ordinary brews + a few that were OK - especially after learning to control temp; use better yeast; steeping grain & adding hops. However a mate was using fresh wort kits & there was no comparison to what I'd made.

So why do i AG?
1. I'm a tinkerer & gain great pleasure from looking for the right bits to use to make my own brewery equipment just the way I want it
2. I'm a control freak. With AG I can do whatever I want, however I want, whenever I want. (I can't do that with a tin of goo) :p
3. I like cooking and adding my own twist / love.
4. The addition of caring and nurturing for the resultant product adds to the enjoyment of both the creation and consumption.
5. I reckon I make better beer cheaper than what i can buy what is usually crap commercial beer.
6. No extract twang. (need I say more)
7. I love to learn & have found that with AG brewing there is so much in so many areas that can be explored.
8. I like variety. With AG, the number of possible combinations of grain/hops/water profile/yeast/temp etc is enormous! Much more so than what I can obtain from using kits & adding bits.
9. It is a great excuse to get out of the house & into the shed! :super:

I still buy commercial beer, but it is now usually bought as part of my beer education process eg based on (bjcp) style and reputation (ie its a good example of the style).

We all have our own reasons, but the're mine.

This thread is cracking me up.

The only way to solve this question for yourself is to DO IT!
No shortcuts, no cheating.
No matter how much AHB / Palmer / advice you read, the nagging thought that AG might be better is what's going to drive you to it.

It is better, but me telling you won't make you really know. You, not us, are the only judge of wether it is a good use of your time.
**caveat on**
The things that make your kit beer suck, will make your AG beer suck (temps, sanitation, recipe, dud ingredients etc)
**end caveat**
Take the Pepsi challenge, DO IT. Until then, whoever said that there is a whole heap of AG beers available at your local bottle O was right.

Live long & prosper

FHG out.

Michael Jackson's Great Beer Guide is a good place to look for top rated beers.
Link

As someone else pointed out, it is good to taste a wide range of beers so that you can work out for yourself what you like and don't like.

Thanks for that! I have already found out i don't like JS Porter... :lol:

So why do i AG?
1. I'm a tinkerer & gain great pleasure from looking for the right bits to use to make my own brewery equipment just the way I want it
2. I'm a control freak. With AG I can do whatever I want, however I want, whenever I want. (I can't do that with a tin of goo) :p
3. I like cooking and adding my own twist / love.
4. The addition of caring and nurturing for the resultant product adds to the enjoyment of both the creation and consumption.
5. I reckon I make better beer cheaper than what i can buy what is usually crap commercial beer.
6. No extract twang. (need I say more)
7. I love to learn & have found that with AG brewing there is so much in so many areas that can be explored.
8. I like variety. With AG, the number of possible combinations of grain/hops/water profile/yeast/temp etc is enormous! Much more so than what I can obtain from using kits & adding bits.
9. It is a great excuse to get out of the house & into the shed! :super:

I still buy commercial beer, but it is now usually bought as part of my beer education process eg based on (bjcp) style and reputation (ie its a good example of the style).

We all have our own reasons, but the're mine.
They are some pretty good reasons! i can relate to quite a few of them!

This thread is cracking me up.

The only way to solve this question for yourself is to DO IT!
No shortcuts, no cheating.
No matter how much AHB / Palmer / advice you read, the nagging thought that AG might be better is what's going to drive you to it.

It is better, but me telling you won't make you really know. You, not us, are the only judge of wether it is a good use of your time.
**caveat on**
The things that make your kit beer suck, will make your AG beer suck (temps, sanitation, recipe, dud ingredients etc)
**end caveat**
Take the Pepsi challenge, DO IT. Until then, whoever said that there is a whole heap of AG beers available at your local bottle O was right.

Live long & prosper

FHG out.
Do you know a site which would have some detailed plans on what is needed and how to make an AG setup?

There are also a lot of ratings on ratebeer. Click here for the 50 top rated Australian beers. Nice to see Murrays on top. :chug:

Do you know a site which would have some detailed plans on what is needed and how to make an AG setup?

There are plenty of different AG setups, but for starters I'd take a look at the BIAB threads on this site. Sounds like a cheap and easy way to test the AG waters without diving into the deep end. From what I understand all you'd need is a large enough kettle and an appropriate bag. Syphon the finished wort into a no-chill cube and you're in business.

sorry had to laugh - But I do believe you have found the site. THIS ONE! Just have a read and ask questions.

Its like being on Aunt Bettys icing and cake making forum and asking the members if they know a good site to give you ideas on how and what to buy to make your own cake from scratch? :p

Cheers
Steve

PS. Heres a link to get you started....follow the pics at the bottom of the page:

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/

Edit: I whole heartedly agree with crozdog.

if you don't have a sewing machine, try some mayo buckets and a drill.

So what IS THE TRUTH..... :unsure:

Can it be only found at the bottom of am empty sack of malted grain... B)

That boy is asking some really tough questions......Now what was the name of that site....um...aussiehome something..... ;)

sorry had to laugh - But I do believe you have found the site. THIS ONE! Just have a read and ask questions.

Its like being on Aunt Bettys icing and cake making forum and asking the members if they know a good site to give you ideas on how and what to buy to make your own cake from scratch? :p

Cheers
Steve

PS. Heres a link to get you started....follow the pics at the bottom of the page:

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/

Edit: I whole heartedly agree with crozdog.
That site helped alot thanks! :D i like the pictures..

If you do not have or cannot identify a sewing machine, there is no problem. A big swatch of Swiss Voile baggie material can be used just as well without this so-called 'sewing' caper. Push it into the pot, add the grain and make sure the floppy-over-edge bits don't catch fire...

I have had plenty of K&K HB beer before some done well some not so well.. :blink:

I've never had a AG HB before (Not even a partial!)

And all you AG guys seem really turned off these lovely cans of goop..

Is it really that good? Is it like turning to the dark side? Turning your back on the goop? Is it really better than commercial beer??

Tim :beer:

I've thought about this for a couple of days as its the same question most of us asked at some point.

The initial cost of going Ag really sifts through your motivations and seriouness, it gets cheaper after you have the gear, but the initial outlay almost seems unjustifiable to the average battler and even a bit "nutty" to the casual onlooker.
Then there is the time, for me like most with wives girlfriends and kids, its not convenient, brew days full of interuptions, being a taxi driver and for me a wife on shift work and trying to build a two story addition to the house.
So why do it?
It has to be for the taste or else where all kidding ourselves!

I rarely buy commercial beer now, except the odd coopers pale for yeast and simply because of budget constraints and that same money would make better home brew.
The alternative is K&K or extract or partials, I still remember though that Extract isn't all that cheap, partials still take nearly as long as AG whioh leaves k&k?
My journey into AG took less than 12 months from my first K&K simply because if there wasn't a better way it was a waste of time.

People who brew AG dont really ask the questions about "Is it better?" They already new that before they bought their gear.

For me I wouldn't go back even if it was more convenient or quicker to do so because it has to be about the taste and the commercial beer worth buying I wouldn't be able to afford.
Snobbery? probably, but then as I said I didn't like beer much to begin with.

Cheers
BB

Latest posts

Back