T58 Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowy

Drinker of Kegs, Slayer of Fish & Ruiner of Good F
Reaction score
Going to put down a brew tomorrow using T58 yeast. Never used it before my LHBS put me onto it. Can any of you blokes give me an idea what to expect and if I should be careful of temps etc.

I've just used it for the first time too a few weeks ago.

After fermentation expect quite a "clove" flavour....(German Wheatbeer sorta thing) I'm not a huge fan of this flavour but after a 3 week rest it seems to have mellowed right out. Putting it on tap in a few days....

....usual ale temps will do also. :icon_cheers:

I've used it a few times - its a good dry east for belgian type ales, especially dark ones. Its quite estery (fruity) even at normal ale temps and can produce some clove and spicy type flavours. I quite liked it in a dubble I made but it was also quite good in a blonde / belgian pale.

Hope that helps

Many thanks fellas.

What kind of beer are you making, Rowy? Asking cos there might be other yeasts that are better suited to your beer.

I'm using this one in an Irish red. Gots some crystal malt, caramalt, goldings and just a standard Beermakers lager can

I'm using this one in an Irish red. Gots some crystal malt, caramalt, goldings and just a standard Beermakers lager can
Just that T-58 is a belgian yeast. It's gonna end up fruity/spicy. For irish, I'd go for a US-56 or an S-04 for irish... It's a very limited range with dried yeast.
But roughly looking at your ingredients, it should still come out good. Just don't expect it to taste like "kilkenny", more like a Leffe Blonde (but a touch redder).
I say go for it.
All the best dude.
Pete

I did a K&K IPA with T58 and a buttload of dextrose back in the my early days. It tasted like burning at first, but it's been bottle conditioning for about 4 months now and I love it.

T-58 is a good yeast, prone to throwing a lot of esters and some very peppery notes if its brewed too warm, is prone to keeping on going when you think its finished, so watch youre FG and maybe give it a bit longer than usual.
Im a big fan of Muntons Gold, for a dry yeast it really does perform well in Bitters.
M

So were you wanting to make an Irish Red? If you were, I'd be looking at changing yout Hbs to one that gives decent advice, as the ingredients you've been given are just plain daft!
Hopefully will make a nice beer though.

cheers Ross

So were you wanting to make an Irish Red? If you were, I'd be looking at changing yout Hbs to one that gives decent advice, as the ingredients you've been given are just plain daft!
Hopefully will make a nice beer though.

cheers Ross

Ouch!

Latest posts

Back