Sydney Ahb Pub Crawl May 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you're not having one of each at the Taphouse?

I'm up for a crawl across from the Rocks to Darlo.

How does this look?:

Mango Wiezen Breakfast @ Lowenbrau
Beer with the brewer at the Lord Nelson (maybe a tour by Damien if there are enough interested?)
Lunch at the Australian
One or two fortifying Belgians for the walk to Darlo
Schwartz Pale Ale at the Macca to recoup from the walk
A bus or walk up Flinders St to the Taphouse until we're ready to stagger downhill to Central

No 40 min ride on the ferry plus walk to eat up time if Manly is on the list. Mostly brewpubs or micro-friendly bars.

My 2c

First half sounds like last year .. that's good.

Second half is new .. that's good.

But I'm very annoyed on two fronts.

I like the Manly ferry idea - novel.

Yep, stuff it. I couldn't be bothered wandering the streets & paying overs for beers that I am only 1/2 interested in. I propose a one-pub crawl. 8 beers on tap at Paddy's by mid-May. $2 per middy with finger food provided.

That aint a pub crawl's arsehole ! If that's the final option, count me out.

Some of you blokes sounding like weak ansy pansy Sydney types of wankers ! HTFU.

I like the Manly ferry idea - novel.

40 mins each way, plus wait time on the wharf, all alcohol-free... ie, no carry-ons or roadies or you'll wear a $400 fine. Still sound good? I think the Manly German-themed restaurant cum-beerhall would make a good destination on its own, just too far out, imho, for part of a city-wide crawl.

That aint a pub crawl's arsehole ! If that's the final option, count me out.
Some of you blokes sounding like weak ansy pansy Sydney types of wankers ! HTFU.

Good points there, but I honestly couldn't be bothered wandering around getting overcharged for beers that I couldn't give a rats about. There will be a tasting night on the first Saturday of May @ Paddys Brewery in the Markets Hotel Flemington. I will post more info in another thread after I get back from Melb.
Cheers
Gerard

Good points there, but I honestly couldn't be bothered wandering around getting overcharged for beers that I couldn't give a rats about. There will be a tasting night on the first Saturday of May @ Paddys Brewery in the Markets Hotel Flemington. I will post more info in another thread after I get back from Melb.
Cheers
Gerard

Who's brewing at Paddy's these days? Not a micro we hear too much about around here.

Keep us posted Gerard

Maybe if we let the 4 Pines guys know we're making the effort to sail across the harbour to visit their establishment, they'll throw in a brewery tour, or at least a pack of kettle chips?

I know he used to brew there, didn't think they'd take him back :D

So for the record, Gerard, which beers in Sydney do you care about? You have some history with the Lord and the Macca don't you? And some mates at the Aussie? And there are a shitload of good craft beers on tap at the Taphouse. What's not to love?

I agree with your sentiments when it comes to the Belgian and such, tho.

Just looked at the 4 Pines website. It's useless. I forgot it was there in my earlier posts. I thought Manly was just for the German place. Still, I think it's a day trip on its own, as the time taken out of the crawl.....

Sounds like there's a few from down South that don't appreciate the fine beverages on the North Shore ....

I'm happy to meet you guys anywhere, Manly is a short SWMBO taxi ride away, otherwise it'll be shanks pony and public transport to the starting point in the city.

16 May sounds good -- see you all at the start (where ever that ends up!) :)

Well May is coming up. Let's light up the itinerary discussion. List the two places you most want to go to and why...
Then we can get an idea of where everyone wants to go and make a list that is practical and covers as many venues listed as possible. Then Little Squares can get her google mapping skills out and do the red line thing.

Lord Nelson + The Taphouse

I am happy with Manly but could do without the Australian.

Playing it by ear and will join where $$ or time allows
16th MAy is Perrrfect.

Make a poll!?

16th May is good for me.
I'll probably hook up with the crowd when it gets to the CBD.
I have not been to any of the venues, so I'll tag along anywhere.
It will be good to put some faces to avitars.

16th May is good for me too... I'd like to do the Taphouse and also the Lord Nelson again, don't mind the Australian, don't really care if we miss the Red Oak or the Bavarian... I'm kinda easy about the Manly aspect, but I think PoMo has a point about travel times (dry argument) etc.... Also a bitch if travelling on public Transport from Newcastle, so I don't mind kicking off at the Lowenbrau...

Anyhoo... will see what the consensus offers up and decide from there

I am keen to visit the taphouse but not fussy about the rest, I rarely get a chance to drink in the city so anywhere is good. I do think the Manly excursion is a long way off the track of insobriety though and would be best experienced as a day out on its own.

cheers

grant

So for the record, Gerard, which beers in Sydney do you care about? You have some history with the Lord and the Macca don't you? And some mates at the Aussie? And there are a shitload of good craft beers on tap at the Taphouse. What's not to love?

I agree with your sentiments when it comes to the Belgian and such, tho.

I prefer to support in order, any Brew-pub, a bar with beers from a brew pub or small brewery on tap, Malt Shovel, Mountain Goat, Coopers (as long as it is fresh & moving).
So The Lord Nelson & 4 Pines, are a safe bet.
The Mac, I haven't been there since I left, it is just too far from home.
Anywhere they have St Peters Blonde on tap is a good spot to spend the afternoon.
Red Oak is way to expensive, but I like the free glasses & their range of 6 different versions of a Porter is fun!
The Australian has some nice beers from time to time, so that makes it worth a visit.
I do not like spending my drinking $$ in Belgian, Bavarian or Irish bars. The only time I will break this rule is when I am in Belgium, Bavaria or Ireland.
If I can live my life without drinking something over hopped with Amarillo or Cascade then I will be happy enough.
There are only so many beers you get to drink in a lifetime & I don't plan on drinking any boring ones, so that rules out anything that is contract brewed by AIB.
Apart from that I consider myself fairly easy to please!
Cheers
Gerard

16th May looks good to me too. I am going away for work next week but ill be back in time and there is a few places i have not been and really want to see.

Lord Nelson + Maquarie + Taphouse :)

+1

...if I can make it. Circumstances have conspired against me the last two years :angry: . I have trouble fronting up with the cash to buy belgians at the bottlo so belgian beer cafe is not that interesting for me.

Cheers
Andrew.

Lord Nelson is my only must have
Taphouse would run second cause I have not been there before.

Back