Swine Flu - Do We Need To Stockpile

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guaranteed it'll be a non event/old news in a couple of weeks then the papers will be onto something else to sell their papers.
Cheers
Steve
Had a good laugh earlier this week when the main paper in SEQ featured on their front page under main headline "Un-stopable Virus Cannot be Stopped" or something similar.

Here it is. Hilarious.
0__6598353_00.jpg

Sorry to remain O/T
The question begs...Whats in the glass ???
Doesnt look like Chappos Kamakazie Lager ?
Cheers

Yeah right... Swine flu... What a joke. Before we totally loose touch with reality here let me just remind you that 160 people in Mejico have died of this so far.

Mate I dunno where you get your information from, but according to BBC world news (who I've heard are pretty reliable) there have been 13 deaths from it worldwide....

Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side, its just even less serious than what your making it out to be :p

Or to put it more in perspective, JAMA. 2003;289:179-186. (link) estimate approximately 36,000 deaths and more than 200,000 hospitalizations are directly associated with influenza every year in the United States.

And noone is stockpiling because of regular influenza are they? :p

You have to stop thinking about the severity of a flu pandemic in terms of who has died already. It's not the sniffles, the impact of influenza is drastic whatever strain it is.

I had one of the asian strains of influenza back in 1997. One moment I was in the kitchen stuffing squid with SWMBO, the next I was shivering on lounge under a blanket. It took a fortnight of sweating and writhing in bed, losing 15kgs before the fever broke and I was as weak as a kitten after that (I only weighed 70kg before I got sick).

During the fever my wife and family were frantic with worry, I was off my head for days, barely conscious and hallucinating wildly, I couldn't eat or drink much. Thankfully, I don't remember any of the worst bits except for the gnawing pain in my head and distant conversations.

After a while, I came good but it was easily 3 months before I had recovered enough to be able to mow the lawn or go for a long walk, take my kids to the park or ride my bike. I was off work for 4 weeks.

cheers

grant

After a while, I came good but it was easily 3 months before I had recovered enough to be able to mow the lawn or go for a long walk, take my kids to the park or ride my bike. I was off work for 4 weeks.

cheers

grant

I want your job :D
3 months to recover, and only 4 weeks off work
:huh:

I want your job :D
3 months to recover, and only 4 weeks off work
:huh:

Local government -

I was able to lean on my spade after 4 weeks, but i was not aloud to raise it above my shoulder to strike anyone for 3 months.

:D

Good for you dude
I work with computers, so that means , I am on here typing shit most of the day :lol:

Swine flu - what can I say?

The main reason everyone is worried about influenza viruses is historically - two words: Spanish flu.
And indeed there is reason to be worried that a new "killer" strain might be generated through mutation at some stage.

But history also tells you that this might not be that likely after all - SARS flared up and everyone panicked but till today you have about 1000 deaths over the last 6 years. SARS and now the swine flu generates a lot of public interest and mobilizes a lot of money for medical research on flu. But is that really our biggest concern?
For an overview have a look here.
Thats something I remember very well from my medical microbiology lectures years ago.
The biggest killers are Malaria, HIV and Tuberculosis with millions worldwide every year. No panic there since they are already as deadly as it can get and have been so for decades.
Most if it happening in the 3d world...
And the reason for that is obviously one fact: Poverty!

The worlds biggest killer is poverty!

Why do you think diarrhea is killing so many people? Ever had it?
We just lie back in bed, drink plenty and replenish our electrolytes - no worries.
Try to get through it without fresh water and food - good luck!

Thats why I come to the conclusion that I dont really care about the flu. So long as I can afford to drink beer there is nothing to worry about!

Stockpile? Yes!

Stockpile bacon, ham and pork. While the scientifically illiterate fret that chewing on a chop with give them swine flu, I've seen amazing specials on swine flesh.

Well today is the first day the Courier Mail doesn't mention the Cerveza flu on its front page, you have to dig around in the 'world news' section and there is a story 'Swine flu is not as serious as was thought'.

So what do I do now with my six large tins of salmon, two kilos of cheese, four litres of olive oil, three bags of basmatti rice, ten litres of UHT milk etc.
Fooled again :lol:

Salmon mornay for the next fortnight by the looks of it :)

Warning: imminent outbreak of the new Salmon Flu, 100% fatal to recent salmon eaters :huh:

The reason people are scared is because the ABC website state:

"Worldwide, 13 countries have confirmed cases of the virus that has killed as many as 176 people. Only one person has died outside Mexico - a toddler from Mexico who travelled to the United States"

They fail to mention that only 10 or so have actually died from it, NOT 176. Why do they lie. And this morning someone with a bit of clout, Mr Obama, says its not as bad as the common flu! Thank **** for common sense prevailing.

I think this can now be moved in to the OFF TOPIC section?

Cheers
Steve

Let the hype build up and watch the pork/ham/bacon prices plummet. Stockpiling pig products at this stage is a bad investment!

+1 for off-topic.

The WHO is actually the organisation pushing all this- their pandemic level is 5 (6 is full-on proper pandemic)
I see sales of Tamiflu are up, and so is the share has jumped by 1/3rd. Rummy must be laughing all the way to the bank. I also see the exec director of WHO speciality is in Pandemic Influenza, experience with bird flu and SARS. With current confirmed cases of death from swine flu world wide sitting at 17 a month or two after the first recorded case I just dont feel compelled to run and stockpile food.

Mr Rumsfeld was on the board of Gilead from 1988 to 2001, and was its chairman from 1997. He then left to join the Bush administration, but retained a huge shareholding .

The firm made a loss in 2003, the year before concern about bird flu started. Then revenues from Tamiflu almost quadrupled, to $44.6m, helping put the company well into the black. Sales almost quadrupled again, to $161.6m last year. During this time the share price trebled.

Mr Rumsfeld sold some of his Gilead shares in 2004 reaping - according to the financial disclosure report he is required to make each year - capital gains of more than $5m. The report showed that he still had up to $25m-worth of shares at the end of 2004, and at least one analyst believes his stake has grown well beyond that figure, as the share price has soared. Further details are not likely to become known, however, until Mr Rumsfeld makes his next disclosure in May.

The 2005 report showed that, in all, he owned shares worth up to $95.9m, from which he got an income of up to $13m, owned land worth up to $17m, and made $1m from renting it out. (The Independent)

Thought I may have Swine Flu, was breaking out in Rashers. So I phoned the Swine Flu Hotline, and all I got was Crackling. It's ok for pigs they're going to be cured anyway. They don't have to worry about the Hamdemic, which may lead to an Aporkalypse. Will try a liberal application of Oinkment, that may work unless they doctor who suggested it was telling Porkies.

Never mind where there's a swill theres a way :lol:

Screwy

Easy to avoid. Just dont sleep with pigs. :lol:
Greg

I see sales of Tamiflu are up, and so is the share has jumped by 1/3rd. Rummy must be laughing all the way to the bank. I also see the exec director of WHO speciality is in Pandemic Influenza, experience with bird flu and SARS. With current confirmed cases of death from swine flu world wide sitting at 17 a month or two after the first recorded case I just dont feel compelled to run and stockpile food.

Mr Rumsfeld was on the board of Gilead from 1988 to 2001, and was its chairman from 1997. He then left to join the Bush administration, but retained a huge shareholding .

The firm made a loss in 2003, the year before concern about bird flu started. Then revenues from Tamiflu almost quadrupled, to $44.6m, helping put the company well into the black. Sales almost quadrupled again, to $161.6m last year. During this time the share price trebled.

Mr Rumsfeld sold some of his Gilead shares in 2004 reaping - according to the financial disclosure report he is required to make each year - capital gains of more than $5m. The report showed that he still had up to $25m-worth of shares at the end of 2004, and at least one analyst believes his stake has grown well beyond that figure, as the share price has soared. Further details are not likely to become known, however, until Mr Rumsfeld makes his next disclosure in May.

The 2005 report showed that, in all, he owned shares worth up to $95.9m, from which he got an income of up to $13m, owned land worth up to $17m, and made $1m from renting it out. (The Independent)

What has Rumsfeld got to do with the World Health Organisation?

As of 06:00 GMT, 29 May 2009, 53 countries have officially reported 15,510 cases of influenza A (H1N1) infection, including 99 deaths.
As at 1600hrs there are 212 confirmed cases in Victoria. Still predominately school aged children.

Now.....
1500 -2000 people die each year in victoria alone from normal flu (mainly the frail, aged, etc).
so far H1N1 has killed less than 100 people worldwide.

2 words - beat up.

Another reason to delete those spam emails right away... :p

WJ

As of 06:00 GMT, 29 May 2009, 53 countries have officially reported 15,510 cases of influenza A (H1N1) infection, including 99 deaths.
As at 1600hrs there are 212 confirmed cases in Victoria. Still predominately school aged children.

Now.....
1500 -2000 people die each year in victoria alone from normal flu (mainly the frail, aged, etc).
so far H1N1 has killed less than 100 people worldwide.

2 words - beat up.

Not exactly. There is the potential for as many deaths again and we're only just working out how to fight it properly now.

And cancer kills more people than traffic accidents. TAC commercials = beat up?

People dying is bad and when new ways for people to die come about we should take it seriously (alert - not alarmed).

Latest posts

Back