Survey: Kegs From U.s.

• Thread starter mchitiea
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agreed Ross I've had probs befor getting parts for the misses 's airbrush , get on the phone and let it rip .,,, 4 days later new orings in the letterbox ..??? how did they do that ??? ... whats the $ 5 ... here it is ...

cheers bunyip

Awesome news! We'll have to compare our new gear when it arrives :D

Matt

At long last the Kegs have arrived in Australia! :D
Problem now is they're with Customs at the Sydney Gateway Facility and they want me to pay GST on them! :angry:
Has anybody else had their kegs held up? Is this normal or did I just draw the short straw during inspection???
Anyway, they should be coming soon, since the transaction is well under $1000 it means I'll pay GST at the Post Office when I pick them up...They'll go straight to work with my first Lager (Czech Pils) for the winter B)

TL

Been a month since I made my last order, asked for confirmation (twice) but have heard nothing, still has not came off my creditcard yet either...

'The joys of orders from brewers discount'

sluggerdog said:
Been a month since I made my last order, asked for confirmation (twice) but have heard nothing, still has not came off my creditcard yet either...

'The joys of orders from brewers discount'
[post="61908"][/post]​

Can't agree more. Would be nice to have an alternative :(

Trough Lolly said:
At long last the Kegs have arrived in Australia! :D
Problem now is they're with Customs at the Sydney Gateway Facility and they want me to pay GST on them! :angry:
Has anybody else had their kegs held up? Is this normal or did I just draw the short straw during inspection???
Anyway, they should be coming soon, since the transaction is well under $1000 it means I'll pay GST at the Post Office when I pick them up...They'll go straight to work with my first Lager (Czech Pils) for the winter B)

TL
[post="61906"][/post]​

I ordered mine through their website, the order was processed on 1st April and I received notification from Customs on Monday that they had arrived and could be picked up at the Granville facility.

All I needed to do was to bring ID and proof of the value of the purchase (invoice or in my case a copy of the on-line order confirmation). There was NO GST payable as the purchase was under $1,000.

It was a PIA to drive to Granville, but once there everything was surprisingly quick and efficient.

Just remember you should not be liable for GST on this purchase unless the cost was over $1,000.

Regards

Dodge

dodge said:
Just remember you should not be liable for GST on this purchase unless the cost was over $1,000.

Regards

Dodge
[post="61914"][/post]​
That's incorrect Dodge.
If the order is $1000 or over you need to fill out a formal declaration. Whether or not you need to pay duty & GST depends on if the total of the GST and duty = $50 or more you pay it. If it's under that they don't bother to collect it, however it seems they don't bother to collect it in alot of cases where they should.

Hoops

According to the paperwork they sent me, it says:
GST is levied on imported goods, unless they are exempt for reasons stated in the GST Act. The GST Act states that the importer will pay GST at the same time and in the same manner as Customs duty. The rate of GST applying to Taxable Importations is 10% of the "Value of the Taxable Importation (VOTI)". The VOTI is the total of:
a) the original Customs value of the imported goods; plus
b ) the amount paid on postage and insurance; plus
c) any Customs duty payable in respect of the importation of the goods; plus
d) any wine tax payable in respect of the local entry of the goods.
For Private Importers (ie private individuals importing goods for their own use) and the consignment is under $A1000 value, I need to supply an invoice or receipt by either fax or phone (which I did this morning - they accept PayPal or E-bay invoices)...

When they've completed their assessment, Aust Post will deliver the goods to my nearest post office. I will need to pay any duty/GST applicable. If the goods are over $A1000 value, I need a formal Customs Entry form B616 AND pay duty/GST before the goods are onforwarded to the nearest post office. A formal clearance attracts a processing fee of $48.85...charming...

Hopefully, they'll see that I'm up for about $19 in GST and leave me alone - there are lots of other big fish with container loads of boogie board bags to deal with! :ph34r:

TL

Spot on Hoops. The issue of whether or not the purchase was $1000+ (this includes cost of goods + freight + insurance etc) simply determines whether or not you need to make a formal declaration.

If you do need to make a formal declaration it's going to cost more than the $48.85 processing fee, because you will need a customs broker. It's virtually impossible to do the paper work yourself. Add on about $150 for a cheap customs broker.

Now what is the magic point at which you go over the $50? Considering that SS sealable kegs attract a 5% import duty, and then you pay GST on the value of the goods (again including cost of goods + freight + insurance etc) plus the import duty you would hit the $50 barrier at..................... $909.10

Hoops said:
dodge said:

Regards

Dodge
[post="61914"][/post]​
That's incorrect Dodge.
If the order is $1000 or over you need to fill out a formal declaration. Whether or not you need to pay duty & GST depends on if the total of the GST and duty = $50 or more you pay it. If it's under that they don't bother to collect it, however it seems they don't bother to collect it in alot of cases where they should.

Hoops
[post="61928"][/post]​

Trough Lolly said:
According to the paperwork they sent me, it says:
GST is levied on imported goods, unless they are exempt for reasons stated in the GST Act. The GST Act states that the importer will pay GST at the same time and in the same manner as Customs duty. The rate of GST applying to Taxable Importations is 10% of the "Value of the Taxable Importation (VOTI)". The VOTI is the total of:
a) the original Customs value of the imported goods; plus
b ) the amount paid on postage and insurance; plus
c) any Customs duty payable in respect of the importation of the goods; plus
d) any wine tax payable in respect of the local entry of the goods.
For Private Importers (ie private individuals importing goods for their own use) and the consignment is under $A1000 value, I need to supply an invoice or receipt by either fax or phone (which I did this morning - they accept PayPal or E-bay invoices)...

When they've completed their assessment, Aust Post will deliver the goods to my nearest post office. I will need to pay any duty/GST applicable. If the goods are over $A1000 value, I need a formal Customs Entry form B616 AND pay duty/GST before the goods are onforwarded to the nearest post office. A formal clearance attracts a processing fee of $48.85...charming...

Hopefully, they'll see that I'm up for about $19 in GST and leave me alone - there are lots of other big fish with container loads of boogie board bags to deal with! :ph34r:

TL
[post="61931"][/post]​

The paperwork you received was exactly the same as mine.

When I went to Granville to pick up the kegs I was asked by a Customs officer was I a home brewer as they had been getting a lot of these items lately.

In phone conversations with Customs and at Granville I was advised that because the total cost of my purchase was less than $A1,000 and because it was for personal use I was not liable for GST.

Have any of youse guys had to pay GST?

It appears to be a grey area, open to interpretation.

I have my kegs at home, have not paid GST or a brokeridge fee, am I lucky or can I expect an invoice in the mail from Customs requesting payment of GST?

TL
Hope I didn't raise your hope re GST free but as explained to me it was not payable - time will tell.

Anyway all I have to do now is make time to brew so I can fill the little buggers.

Regards and happy GST free brewing

Dodge

The way I look at it is that I'm still in front - I paid $A190 for 4 kegs and some goodies. If I pay $19 GST and $9.50 duty on the SS kegs then $A218.50 for 4 x 18L cornies, delivered, is a good deal anyway I look at it...

I suppose I'll find out what GST I'll pay, if any, when I go to the local PO and collect them!
TL

Just wondering where you guys are from that are being made to pay for the GSt and duty on the kegs?

Maybe it is one spot where this is happening..?

TL,

I'd be very surprised if they actually charge you GST - 4 kegs for personal use shouldn't attract any GST...

At least I hope not - that's not a precedent we want setting...

cheers Ross

You betcha Ross,
Mind you - it's up to Customs as to whether they want to chase me for small change or not.

TL

if you have picked up your kegs & walked away, possibly signing something that you have the goods, then its unlikely that customs/auspost will send you a bill.

if you had any charges to pay, they should have told you then. my experience from several years ago, is that they wont give the goods unles you pay.

on the other hand, a customs broker / ups / fedex, invariably delivers the goods quickly & then sends the bill via post.

Hey Guys,

I just went through the online ordering process for 2 X 5gal recons.
I stopped however when it said Postage $91.00.

Is this really how much the postage would be for 2? What did it cost the rest of you?

Cheers

Troy

troy, 2 3gal kegs cost me $us35, which was a bit less than what the online process said. sorry, cant rememeber exactly. did u choose usps seapost / the cheapest option ?

hi redbeard.
thanks for the reply. From my calcs using USPS website, I think for a single keg it would be $31. Even it it was double for 2 (which it wouldn't be) it would still be ~$60.

The only postage options are:

UPS Ground
UPS 3 day select

USPS Parcel Post

It only lets you choose the bottom one.

Troy,

I chose the option that set the postage to $0, then they sorted out the cheapest option.
From memory it was US$33 for shipping two 3 gal kegs to me in Sydney earlier in the year.

Beers,
Doc

Back