Surprise For Our Visitors!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the same email.

Anyway, I never open a .exe, not that way.

Cheers

It would appear that someone has been able to access the MySQL database and has harvested the emails. Given that my email is hidden (well not any more) there has obviously been more than worm harvesting from the forums.

The file is actually a Trojan downloader. I strongly suggest that people DO NOT click on the link, and do not go looking for interests sake. If you HAVE then you might want to get some help quickly.

I am a little disappointed that the security and hence privacy of the site has been compromised.

Joe :(

One more thing, there has been several security issues with the IPB system in the last month or so, I hope all the updates have been applied.

Doc said:
Now fixed the default skin too.

Beers,
Doc
[post="129696"][/post]​

Just got out the smurf spew remover? :lol:

No email here just opened up to AHB that looked like the morning after the smurfs xmas party, covered in blue spew.

Jayse

No e-mail, and the site looked normal when I logged on (~18:30)
Win XP Home SP2, IE6, Avast V4.7 Antivirus

Think it's all good :unsure:

mika_lika said:

[post="129708"][/post]​

Ditto but with NAV & Kerio Firewall.

:beer:

TidalPete said:
mika_lika said:

[post="129708"][/post]​

Ditto but with NAV & Kerio Firewall.

:beer:
[post="129710"][/post]​

ditto with IE - nothing recieved & all working normally.

cheers Ross

I just came on again and it all seems to be working fine again - IE. :)

As for Firefox - It's true that it often doesn't pick up on the standard problems that do affect IE, but the problem is that it actually picks up on other things anyway. It's different, but not always better.

I did use Firefox for a while and was very happy with how it worked, just be careful if you ever uninstall it - if it is installed to the default folder that it chooses (directly in the Programmes folder on C), it may actually wipe all your programme files for other programmes, too and any or all of the files associated with them. My fiance had that happen to her, meaning she lost all saved E-mails over three years, as well as almost all her programmes, photos (a few thousand of them) and several work-related projects she was working on.

When Firefox tech were contacted about this problem, we realised it was a very well known issue - there are private boards dedicated to this problem alone - and the reply from FireFox support was basically 'If this happened to you, you're stupid and don't know enough about computers - and why would you uninstall it in the first place?' To paraphrase; 'You're an idiot on a computer.'

My fiance happens to work with programming professionally . . . <_<

Anyway, after that I sort of lost my faith in them. It's a great programme and it works great as long as it works - even if it doesn't display graphics properly. Just don't get a problem, because their standard reply is that you're a dunce.

Just as a disclaimer; I hate IE, too. I think the programme sucks. I've just chosen to use it as the lesser of two evils.

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

(Who really just wanted to talk beer. :) )

just a quickie because its getting OT: but firefox is much more mature now at version 1.5 (after being 0.8, 0.9 for ages) its always worth another try, trojans/virii from IE can be just as painful.

This is turning out to be annoying!

I got the email as well, and first thing I did was to go here to see if anyone got the email as well. I doubted that there actually was a [email protected] email, and even if there is I had deep suspicions that AHB would send me an .exe for no given reason. The admins here are a little better at explaining and spelling for it to trick me...

However it has prompted me to download firefox, update ad-aware and spybot and reset my computer to get the AVG update to work. I've been meaning to get firefox anyway, so this was a goos excuse

Geez. I got excited for a milli second thinking..."Oh heres the NEW AHB website, Must be all the upgrading I have heard tell of".

I have Antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-adware and a firewall. Whatever hit me (And I dont think I opened the email first), switched off my firewall and downloaded an "Anti-spyware" program called "Spyware sherrif". Completely F%$ed up my PC.

The bastards. I got messages saying "You have a spyware infection...Use Spyware sherrif...Pay here" or something like that.

I restored to yesterday, scanned with everything I had. seems to have worked(??)

WHYYYYY I AOUGHTA ^%$#%$#....!!!!! :angry: :angry:

I would really like to have a tete a tete with some of these little pricks..

Say no more!
ATOMT

This is very slack on behalf of the administrators.

Did the password list get accessed?

This is very important to many people. Please advise us if it was compromised. Or even if you suspect it was. I know lots of people use the same passwords for many of these type of forums etc and we need to know if we need to go and change them everywhere.

Thanks

Murray.

Khancoban_Brewery said:
Well done admin will you be offering us all a free virus scan?

If not I will. Here you go!

Khancoban_Brewery said:
How can this happen, isn't this site like fort knox to get into?

Smart eKiddies, that is how. They invent new programs to exploit known faults.

bigmuz said:
This is very slack on behalf of the administrators.

Did the password list get accessed?

This is very important to many people. Please advise us if it was compromised. Or even if you suspect it was. I know lots of people use the same passwords for many of these type of forums etc and we need to know if we need to go and change them everywhere.

Thanks

Murray.
[post="129731"][/post]​

At this stage it appears the intruder was just after email addresses.

Khancoban_Brewery said:
Wow, I think someone has pissed off somebody somewhere. Dane or Doc can you shed some light on the subject. Well done admin will you be offering us all a free virus scan? How can this happen, isn't this site like fort knox to get into?
[post="129736"][/post]​

The info is already in this topic, but I'll paraphrase here.

The board was compromised last evening at approx 7:15 pm. We are working with the hosters to determine if the hoster was compromised, but at this stage it appears that they used a security flaw in the board software.
The default skin was changed and a link was imbedded in the site (which it appears to have affected mainly IE users).
When I was alerted I changed a couple of accounts, tracked down when and where the change was made from (Continental Europe - likely Belgium). I then alerted Dane.
I removed the links in the site that directed to the malicious site, and fixed the default skin.

We have been preparing for a site upgrade for some time, however this will now be completed sooner than planned. Stand by for a bigger and better new look AHB.

Thanks for all your concerns, and rest assured we are doing out best to make sure we minimise our exposure in the future.

Beers,
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back