stc 1000+

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my 4 from this guy & all flashable.
I've ordered 2 more which are currently in transit.

STC 1000+.PNG

SBOB said:
Thanks

Now for the shopping list. Not in a rush so china options are fine
Is all I need the following (please let me know if any of these are way off)
- Arduino Uno + USB Cable.. this one im not sure if there are 'differences' between models.

e.g. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-ATmega328P-CH340G-UNO-R3-Board-Compatible-USB-Cable-For-Arduino-DIY-EC-/181433800259
- Dupont Male to Male cables,
e.g. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cables-Shield-Male-To-Male-2-54MM-1P-1P-Dupont-For-Arduino-40pin-20cm-/400666077229
- 5 pin female header,
e.g. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10pcs-2-54mm-Single-Row-Female-Pitch-Header-Socket-Connector-Pin-Strip-/130905219470

missing anything?
All the Unos from china are clones. They will look slightly different. But all should work.

Depends if you want to make it 2 probe.

I got most of the stuff of ebay. The jumper cables fell through so I got em from Jaycar. I had to pay an extra $1.30 :huh: They have all the gear if you have one local. Not much more expensive and no waiting.

Crusty said:
I got my 4 from this guy & all flashable.
I've ordered 2 more which are currently in transit.

attachicon.gif
STC 1000+.PNG
Do you have a link to the seller Crusty?

nosco said:
I got most of the stuff of ebay. The jumper cables fell through so I got em from Jaycar. I had to pay an extra $1.30 :huh: They have all the gear if you have one local. Not much more expensive and no waiting.

Do you have a link to the seller Crusty?
Seller
http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/business668fa?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

These are the ones I bought
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221378511833?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've purchased 4 from him & all are flashable & I've got another 2 on the way.
I'm going to assume the new ones will be the same as the previous models but not 100% sure until they get here.
I'll confirm once they arrive.

Does it HAVE to be an Arduino Uno? I already have an Arduino Mega so no point buying another just for flashing purposes...

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Does it HAVE to be an Arduino Uno? I already have an Arduino Mega so no point buying another just for flashing purposes...
Not sure myself but for $16.95, it's not very expensive.
I got mine from ebay

Not about the $, more about utilising something I already have. GitHub mentions "an Arduino board, like an Arduino Uni", so thinking I may already have all of the gear to do the flash now?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
As long as the pins utilized match and the voltage is correct....

I suspect it would work.

One thing I don't quite understand is why my temp says 19.4 when I hit the up arrow on the STC even though the prog is set for 20deg. Up to check set temp, down to check prog number.
I am going from 20deg for 5 days to a 1deg cold crash & am about due for the ramp down.
This morning when I checked the up arrow, 20deg was the reading which is what I set it at in the programme.
What the hell is it doing at 19.4 now when hitting the up arrow & my ferment temp is sitting at 19.7 ( 20deg with 0.5deg tolerance )
I went into the settings & nothing anywhere set for 19.4 & in settings, the dh is 1?
Anyone shed some light on this.

I'm not sure how you guys are going with these but I've abandoned it.
Just back to using the standard STC.
I've flashed 3 of these with the latest firmware but somethings a miss.

One thing I just picked up on is two of my three flashed controllers have the AP400 board but version 1.1.
The only controller with the 1.0 was not in use.
Do you guys think that the 1.1 version is flashable but that's where my glitch is coming from? They both flashed fine.
I might have to wire up the 1.0 & give that a test run.

So if I use my lager prog and the last step (step 9) is cold crash will the STC just stay on that temp until I turn it off?

Crusty said:
One thing I don't quite understand is why my temp says 19.4 when I hit the up arrow on the STC even though the prog is set for 20deg. Up to check set temp, down to check prog number.
I am going from 20deg for 5 days to a 1deg cold crash & am about due for the ramp down.
This morning when I checked the up arrow, 20deg was the reading which is what I set it at in the programme.
What the hell is it doing at 19.4 now when hitting the up arrow & my ferment temp is sitting at 19.7 ( 20deg with 0.5deg tolerance )
I went into the settings & nothing anywhere set for 19.4 & in settings, the dh is 1?
Anyone shed some light on this.

What have you got the step for from 20 to 1?

Use the web based profile creator to get your steps. It should look like

sp0 - 20 dh0 120 (120 = 5 days)
sp1 - 20 dh1 12 (to ramp down to sp2 over 12 hours)
sp2 - 1 dh2 0 (will then flick to thermostat mode so will stay on 1 forever)

edit - https://04377c9983bdba740a8b0c997fe97f76c5789b26.googledrive.com/host/0B7OSUyUx3xJzUVlLdkFyQ1lMLTg/hextabbed.html

That is priceless for setting up your profiles

Moad said:
What have you got the step for from 20 to 1?

Use the web based profile creator to get your steps. It should look like

sp0 - 20 dh0 120 (120 = 5 days)
sp1 - 20 dh1 12 (to ramp down to sp2 over 12 hours)
sp2 - 1 dh2 0 (will then flick to thermostat mode so will stay on 1 forever)

edit - https://04377c9983bdba740a8b0c997fe97f76c5789b26.googledrive.com/host/0B7OSUyUx3xJzUVlLdkFyQ1lMLTg/hextabbed.html

That is priceless for setting up your profiles
Thanks Moad.
I think it's a bit of user error on my part after talking to alphaomega ( mats ) over on home brew talk last night.
He said that the 19.4 I was seeing is the controller ramping down to my set temp of 1deg so that confused me somewhat.
The actual temp reading on the stc was 19.8 so no relays active at all which of course is normal. I forgot about the updated information every hour so when I checked the temp again after pressing the down arrow about 15mins later, it still read 19.4 so I thought it's cactus as it was supposed to ramping down to 1deg. What I also failed to recognize was the time I had set for it to get to 1deg from 20deg & that was 12hrs so of course the controller will still be operating at 20 which was the previous step temperature. It would of all kicked in & looked after itself if I just,
1: Left the bloody thing alone
2: Checked the up arrow after an hour which should have seen the temp dropping to my set temp of 1deg.
So, back in operation & I ain't touching it. Miraculously, it looks like it's working as it should.
Mats also told me to hold down the down arrow which will indicate which step your up to in the programme.
All good.
Cheers

I received my STC 1000 from the Aliexpress source.

I had a quick look to confirm version. I got a pleasant surprise. The solder points are bare. This should make it easier to fiddle around with.

:)

1446096563267.jpg

1446096577217.jpg

Your good to go.
Mine's now at duration 6 & 48hrs into a 168hr ( 7 day ) cold crash.
Working like a charm & happily maintaining 1degC.
mats over on home brew talk said to check at what stage & duration your at, if you didn't already know, is to hold down the down button on the STC whilst running a programme & it will give you three reference information points. For me currently, it's prog 0, 6 ( duration step ) & 48 ( 48hrs into my 168hr duration )
Very handy indeed!

I've been using one for the last 2 brews and it's been working great. The best thing was I already had an old STC 1000 set up to control my fridge and all I had to do was flash it.

Latest posts

Back