stc 1000+

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does it say at the end of programming?
The guy on youtube got this too.
Maybe it's toast. I cant seem to power it up via the Uno.
I grabbed another one & flashed it as well, same result. Maybe their both toast.
I reconnect the pins & the computer alerts me that the usb is active but the STC won't light up now.
I left it connected until the STC turned itself off.
Oh the joys of it all.

No joy.
It won't light up now. Woops!

I got the same message at the end of my flash, leaving programming mode.
The same as guy
Not sure why the STC wont light up now though like before the flash when I connected the pins?????

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yeah thats right that happened to me... You just flash it again even though there are no lights on. It'll make the sound etc again. hold real still

Moad said:
oh yeah thats right that happened to me... You just flash it again even though there are no lights on. It'll make the sound etc again. hold real still
I did reflash again & all good but still no light up on the STC panel.
Should it still light up the display like before?
I might head out to the shed & wire it up & power it on.

YAH ******* HOO!
Thank you so much guys. It's done.
Both STC's are flashed & power comes on when hooking up the Uno.
Prog was the first thing I saw when I hit the S button.
You guys are legends for persevering with me & offering suggestions.
So appreciative guys, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Crusty said:
YAH ******* HOO!
Thank you so much guys. It's done.
Both STC's are flashed & power comes on when hooking up the Uno.
Prog was the first thing I saw when I hit the S button.
You guys are legends for persevering with me & offering suggestions.
So appreciative guys, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Did you flash it with a pre-programmed file from the web based editor?

Crusty said:
Where the hell is that?
Don't burst my bubble.
You go here :

https://04377c9983bdba740a8b0c997fe97f76c5789b26.googledrive.com/host/0B7OSUyUx3xJzUVlLdkFyQ1lMLTg/hextabbed.html

select STC 1000+ and the Vanilla version option.

You can edit your settings and fermentation temperature profiles.

Then download that as your picprog file and flash that. No need to push a bunch of buttons to edit your fermentation profiles.

have a look, now that you know how to flash the unit.

Mattrox said:
You go here :

https://04377c9983bdba740a8b0c997fe97f76c5789b26.googledrive.com/host/0B7OSUyUx3xJzUVlLdkFyQ1lMLTg/hextabbed.html

select STC 1000+ and the Vanilla version option.

You can edit your settings and fermentation temperature profiles.

Then download that as your picprog file and flash that. No need to push a bunch of buttons to edit your fermentation profiles.

have a look, now that you know how to flash the unit.
I downloaded that but get this when trying to open it.

Error.PNG

I can just use what I have flashed with though right?
Once I set up a fermentation profile in profile 1 for example, will this be stored for future reference if needing that particular fermentation profile?
I can go to profile 2 for a different set of parameter's can't I? Maybe setting for a Lager & store that?
I would ideally like to set my own duration & temperatures.

edit: I just realised that you can set your own parameters.

Crusty said:
I downloaded that but get this when trying to open it.

attachicon.gif
Error.PNG

I can just use what I have flashed with though right?
Once I set up a fermentation profile in profile 1 for example, will this be stored for future reference if needing that particular fermentation profile?
I can go to profile 2 for a different set of parameter's can't I? Maybe setting for a Lager & store that?
I would ideally like to set my own duration & temperatures.

edit: I just realised that you can set your own parameters.

Yeah, set your own parameters.

eg a lager profile, ale profile... a low temp ale profile eg using nottingham what ever you want..... click save to cookie too. because if you need to fine tune a profile you can upload from cookie and tweak before downloading.

Just rename the file as picprog.ino in your pic prog folder before flashing.

Well, I must be useless because I've not managed to get this firmware uploaded. Try as I will, while it seems there's a connection as the STC-1000 lights up, it just won't upload the software. Giving up and using that Arduino for another project! I don't mind pressing buttons on the Grainfather anyway :)

Would this be right for an 18deg ferment for 4 days followed by a 21deg rest for 2 days followed by a 18deg rest for 8 days, ( 14 days total in primary ) then a 1deg rest for 7 days.

Profile.PNG

I'm still fumbling with how to get the downloaded sketch to work without getting that error type warning that keeps telling me that it needs to be inside a sketch folder named picprog.

welly2 said:
Well, I must be useless because I've not managed to get this firmware uploaded. Try as I will, while it seems there's a connection as the STC-1000 lights up, it just won't upload the software. Giving up and using that Arduino for another project! I don't mind pressing buttons on the Grainfather anyway :)
Welly, I had a hell of a time with it but got it eventually.
If you are holding the pins down on the STC, it's crucial that once you make a connection, you must not lose it otherwise you have to close the serial monitor page, reconnect & try again. If you simply just keep typing d & then send, it either says check wiring, cant detect STC or nothing happens at all.
Make the connection, hit tools & open serial monitor & you should be good to go.
It's frustrating but worth it. Where are you at with it?

Crusty said:
Would this be right for an 18deg ferment for 4 days followed by a 21deg rest for 2 days followed by a 18deg rest for 8 days, ( 14 days total in primary ) then a 1deg rest for 7 days.

attachicon.gif
Profile.PNG

I'm still fumbling with how to get the downloaded sketch to work without getting that error type warning that keeps telling me that it needs to be inside a sketch folder named picprog.
Just make a folder called picprog copy the file into the folder, then open it. the folder name and file name have to be the same .... ( forget the .ino part for the folder name)

Watch this video it shows you how to modify and save the file into the sketch

Understanding it a lot better now.
When making a picprog folder, as you said, it needs to be called the same as your downloaded sketch.
I also save to cookie as well so opening hex editor next time, values are still set.
This looks better for a 4 day ferment @18, a 2 day diacetyl rest@21 for days, then back to 18 for time remaining for a total of 14 days in primary followed by a 7 day rest @1deg.

Prog 0.PNG

Graph.PNG

Back