stc 1000+

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get an arduino uno clone, can be had for a few bucks. Then get to jaycar or ebay and get the dupont wires and 6 contact header per the github. Easy as!

Moad said:
thats the one I have but I believe you can get cheaper ones
Ordered!
I'm in a bit over my head with this stuff & I'm a complete fucktard when it comes to this kind of stuff.
I'll chase up those dupont wires & a 6 contact header from JayCar.
Cheers Moad. Much appreciated buddy.

Just got my arduino today and was having a go at flashing it. I don't think the connection between the arduino and stc was great because I couldn't get the software to recognise an stc was connected, with the exception of one occasion. I'm going to grab a soldering iron this weekend and solder on the contact header. It'll be useful when I want to flash it again later.

welly2 said:
Just got my arduino today and was having a go at flashing it. I don't think the connection between the arduino and stc was great because I couldn't get the software to recognise an stc was connected, with the exception of one occasion. I'm going to grab a soldering iron this weekend and solder on the contact header. It'll be useful when I want to flash it again later.
I'm going to put a plug in the back of the jiffy box so I can reflash whenever.

Particularly fermentation profiles. If I want to tweak something in particular. Rather than program via the buttons I'll use the web page to configure the profiles, download and reflash. I'm going to try the 2 probe version for the fermentation fridge. If I want to change hy2 reflashing will be just as quick as pushing buttons... LOL... lazy, I know.

I'm also planning on a 1V urn brewery. I'll use the minute time base to control the mash temps. Again the different profiles will be handy when trying out different stepped mashes.

I'd probably do something more automated if most of the gear wasn't going to be in a dusty-ish shed.

Scratch the plastic coating off the terminals on the stc and try again.

Be careful when soldering too, there isn't much of a pad on the stc.

My wife went to Jaycar today & ended up getting a 40pk of 150mm dupont wires & a pack of contact headers.
Could only get a mixed pack of headers but there was a 6 contact in the pack in the right orientation.
Arduino Uno should be here Tuesday & I will have a crack at flashing a couple of my STC's.

Crusty said:
My wife went to Jaycar today & ended up getting a 40pk of 150mm dupont wires & a pack of contact headers.
Could only get a mixed pack of headers but there was a 6 contact in the pack in the right orientation.
Arduino Uno should be here Tuesday & I will have a crack at flashing a couple of my STC's.
Let us all know how you go.

My stc 1000 and arduino should arrive next week. Getting excited. I want to do a lager just to use the profiles. Lol

Mattrox said:
Let us all know how you go.

My stc 1000 and arduino should arrive next week. Getting excited. I want to do a lager just to use the profiles. Lol
I don't know what to connect where so this will be a monumental task for me.
Easy for the Arduino savvy but I'm seriously like a fish out of water on this one.
I've nominated Moad as head instructor ( unbeknownst to him ) & he has already answered some of my brain dead questions via PM which I'm truly grateful for.

Crusty said:
I don't know what to connect where so this will be a monumental task for me.
Easy for the Arduino savvy but I'm seriously like a fish out of water on this one.
I've nominated Moad as head instructor ( unbeknownst to him ) & he has already answered some of my brain dead questions via PM which I'm truly grateful for.
Im not arduino savy either but its actually sounds pretty easy (i havnt done one yet). The manual is in Linux files so i did a search for a windows app that will read linix. Give the manual a read and watch the vids on youtube and youll figure it out no probs.

The outputs on the arduino are marked on the board, check the readme on the gitgub which helps you match them up. If you get stuck pm me tomorrow and I'll help you out

Moad said:
The outputs on the arduino are marked on the board, check the readme on the gitgub which helps you match them up. If you get stuck pm me tomorrow and I'll help you out
Thanks again mate.
My Arduino should be here on Tuesday so I'll see how I go.

Hi all. I've bought 5 STC's from different epay suppliers, all non flashable. Can anyone confirm the Ali link in an earlier post is for A400's or do you know a good link. Thanks

I'm having trouble getting mine to play the game.
As I am connecting to stc upside down
Far left wire to port 3
next to 5V
next to GND
next to port 8
last to port 9
board is arduino/genuino uno ( This one from ebay )
com 5
open serial port & blank page, hit d then send after selecting no line ending & 115200 & nothing???
Doing my head in.
Cheers

Crusty said:
I'm having trouble getting mine to play the game.
As I am connecting to stc upside down
Far left wire to port 3
next to 5V
next to GND
next to port 8
last to port 9
board is arduino/genuino uno ( This one from ebay )
com 5
open serial port & blank page, hit d then send after selecting no line ending & 115200 & nothing???
Doing my head in.
Cheers
This is what has been happening to me. If the stc-1000 isn't connected then I'll get a message saying no stc-1000 is detected but otherwise if it's properly (I assume) connected then I get the same thing occurring. I press "d" and nothing happens. I'm assuming that that means the connection isn't correct - I'll be buying a solder iron tomorrow and will get a proper connector attached so the connection is definitely solid and then we'll see.

Have you scraped the enamel off the connectors, I found I had to scrape it off to get a good contact, when you get a contact the STC will light up as it is now powered by the programmer, then you can type D and send it to confirm the contact once you have a response you can then flash it.

Just be sure to scrape the contacts carefully

these links might help, you may have them
Good luck

https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p/blob/master/img/image_5.jpg?raw=true

Last edited by a moderator:
Elad said:
Have you scraped the enamel off the connectors, I found I had to scrape it off to get a good contact, when you get a contact the STC will light up as it is now powered by the programmer, then you can type D and send it to confirm the contact once you have a response you can then flash it.

Just be sure to scrape the contacts carefully

these links might help, you may have them
Good luck

https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p/blob/master/img/image_5.jpg?raw=true

Yeah, scraped a bunch of muck off the contacts and the stc-1000 does light up and appears to work, I'm just guessing one or two of the non-power contacts aren't making a proper contact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back