Dodgy STC 1000

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smotgon

Reaction score
my first purchase of a STC 1000 and it's not working!
The Switching is there and can hear the clicks, temp probe is good too and can sense body temp of my hand but when it clicks over to send power to the cooling and heating channels Nothing! Arghh my first brew day is put on hold again...I have been waiting a few weeks for this day too:thumbsdown:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    906.4 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    939.8 KB · Views: 72
my first purchase of a STC 1000 and it's not working!
The Switching is there and can hear the clicks, temp probe is good too and can sense body temp of my hand but when it clicks over to send power to the cooling and heating channels Nothing! Arghh my first brew day is put on hold again...I have been waiting a few weeks for this day too:thumbsdown:

They do have a compressor timer, did you give it a minute or so? Been a few (including me) caught with that.
I think there's a light that blinks during this time.

Yeah the red dot flashes with a delay and then clicks onto a channel right? I waited for that too but still nothing

Yeah the red dot flashes with a delay and then clicks onto a channel right? I waited for that too but still nothing

OK problem somewhere.
Check your wiring perhaps?

Heating channel activated testing with multimeter say 0V to the Channel :thumbsdown:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
Does Bunnings sell these temp modules?? I wanna brew today! Whaaaa:hairout:

Have a look at the great soldering quality of this module....it looks like a bird has taken a piss on it!! China quality at its best!! I'm not even going to get an exchange on this thing, what's another brand I can try?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    962.6 KB · Views: 97
where are you? surely someone can check this for you nearby

Oh hold the line I think my wiring is up to shit! Power needs to be direct to channels i think

I'm in Newcastle and have a spare STC sitting here, PM me if you haven't stuffed up the wiring.
Just so you know the number 1 mistake people make is thinking that the heating/cooling outputs are powered, not just switches.
Mark

4 photos and none of the terminals at the back. It's hard to fault find when you don't show the business end

Reactions: MHB
Soldering looks fine. Another uneducated guess from someone with next to no electrical experience.

Show us your wiring and we will help you get it working.

P.S. Try not to kill yourself or someone else in the process.

I have 4 STC's working at home, one died a while back and I replaced it with an Inkbird 308. I'll never bother with the STC's again, I did wire all mine myself and being completely colour blind does make it a challenge for me.

Ok so here is the wiring black is mains in heat is the white going out....I still haven't died yet!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    940.3 KB · Views: 93
Do you really have the Active and the Neutral on the same terminal? = dead short

Yep, I think so, in fact I suspect not dying "yet" is mostly a matter of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back