Super Aroma - Hop Shots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say I never expected Mosaic to go so well in a raspberry RIS. It really played off the dark malts well.

And Deej, Mornington does what I think is their Brown with coffee, so Brown with chocolate? Maybe as a subtle background in an Amber?

So has anyone worked out how many ml are required for a keg to get a strong AIPA dry hop effect? Thinking of ordering some but don't know how much to get!

I put 4.5 ml into a keg last night, keg had been stored for 6 months, that was a pale ale and was 2.5 ml Citralicious and 2ml Geronimo which punched nicely..

The beauty about kegs I guess is that you can adjust up easily

Yob said:
I put 4.5 ml into a keg last night, keg had been stored for 6 months, that was a pale ale and was 2.5 ml Citralicious and 2ml Geronimo which punched nicely..

The beauty about kegs I guess is that you can adjust up easily
I put 1 ml of citralicious into a half full keg of IPA and it barely made a difference.

4 drops of citralicious and 4 drops of geronimo in a 330ml glass was magical however - The big question is how to convert 'drops in a glass' into 'ml into kegs' ????

How many drops in 1ml ?

are drop sizes in the syringe the same as a drop size from the dispensing cap?

no idea as to how many drops per ml, the dispensing tips are smaller than a drop from the syringe without.

if you have gone 1ml, make the next stop 2ml, if thats not enough to suit you taste, 3ml and onward till you find your sweet spot, as mentioned above, my keg ended up on 4.5ml...

I wouldnt be counting drops, use ml as a gauge, drops are merely a good idea to get used to how much you like so you can gauge it better when making the keg additions.

tonymc said:
I put 1 ml of citralicious into a half full keg of IPA and it barely made a difference.

4 drops of citralicious and 4 drops of geronimo in a 330ml glass was magical however - The big question is how to convert 'drops in a glass' into 'ml into kegs' ????
I have been a little troubled by the amount people have been adding to glasses seems to be incongruous to the recommendation for a keg. The best way of dosing to a glass is to use a 100 microlitre syringe. Using my micro syringe I estimated a drop of hop extract to be about 25 microlitres*. So as a guesstimate 8 drops could be as much as 0.2mL, but you would be in a better position to estimate by the reading the change in the plunger position on the volume scale of the syringe. If my guesstimate was correct this would translate to more than 10mL in a keg. I have tried 3mL in a keg of APA and was underwhelmed so will increase this over the coming days.

Yob it may be helpful to understand the % oil content of the extract.

EDIT: * this was visual comparison of the drop size dispensed from the hop shot syringe without a needle, so there may be some error. It is possible the needle may reduce the size of the drop further.

technobabble66 said:
Fwiw, The general estimate for drops to mL I've used over the years is 20 drops equals 1mL
Yep that has been my experience also (one drop of water=50 microlitres). The hop shot drops did seem a little smaller though and hence the 25 microlitre estimate.

so if 8 drops per 330ml glass is the desired taste/dosage, then...

19L Keg / 0.330L glass = 57 glasses

57 glasses * 8 drops = 456 drops for the keg

if 20 drops = 1ML of hop extract then ...
456 drops / 20 drops = 22ML needed to get the same effect as 8 drops in a glass, in the whole keg.

This doesn't seem quite right to me.

It means that the cost to get a decent IPA aroma with is two syringes (20ML) and 10 x Yop's recommended 2.5ml starting point.

EDIT THIS: http://birchhillhappenings.com/aromatip/82dropperml.htm
basically confirms that all oil drops are different.

They suggest measuring out 1ml and counting the drops you get from it.

Yop, can you sacrifice 2mL and count the number of drops per mL from a dispensing tip AND just the syringe? for science? and peace?

Water and no tip equated to about 20, I'll try with an 18 gauge tip later when home again

No way you'd be needing to add 20ml.. Unless you have some seriously wrecked taste buds...

Thanks for the info! Anyone tried a bittered only beer with hop shots at kegging as the only flavor/aroma addition? Seems very economical...

Josh, there's no flavour with these hop shoots just aroma.

These hop shots basically make dry hopping obsolete. So yes, you could potentially add it to buttered only beer and be economical - once we work out the right dosage.

tonymc said:
Josh, there's no flavour with these hop shoots just aroma.

These hop shots basically make dry hopping obsolete. ....
I'd be curious about this, given that with regular hops it's the same hops oils that produce both flavour and aroma. For that, it all depends on *when* you introduce the hops/oils.
I'd be inclined to think it should be the same with these. The only issue might be that because it's a purified extract it might volatize off much quicker than the oils more gradually extracted from regular hops material during the boil - hence maybe they'll boil off before the chemistry that "anchors" the oils into the wort (& hence causes the flavour input) can occur.

Any explanation along these lines from the producer, Yob?

Yob said:
You will, the olfactory system is linked quite profoundly to the taste sensation
This is my understanding too. Quite happy to be the guinea pig with this one but having a new addition to the family just a week ago means I have no idea when I'll get to carry out this exbeeriment.

Just ordered a couple of these yesterday, can't wait to have a crack. Been extremely envious reading this thread!

Back