Sunken hop sock....doh!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einnebcj

Reaction score
Hi guys

Dry hopped for the first time and went to pull the sock out today and realised its sunk to the bottom of the fermenter. Was in the process of starting cold conditioning. So what should I do. Rack to another fermenter and then cold condition? How do I avoid this for the next time?

Just when I don't think I'm a newb......I realise I still am......sigh!

Chris

1) Nothing. Rack to kegs and chill.
2) Join BrewAdelaide.com.

Just leave it, nothing to worry about.

I don't keg.....I bottle

I thought that you would get 'grassy' flavours if left in the fermenter too long? Does cold conditioning temps negate this?

It always sinks in my experience - whack it on a bit of sanitised fishing line next time!

It'll be fine. You won't get the grassiness at those temperatures, especially over just a few days of cold conditioning.

einnebcj said:
I don't keg.....I bottle

I thought that you would get 'grassy' flavours if left in the fermenter too long? Does cold conditioning temps negate this?
A lot of people just chuck in hop pellets, no sock. No getting them out.

I just fish it out once I've finished Bottling

hop sock in the fermenter, I learn something new every day.

Why not throw the hops in X days before bottling?

QldKev said:
hop sock in the fermenter, I learn something new every day.

Why not throw the hops in X days before bottling?
I find that if I freeball a lot of hops, I have to stop racking earlier as I start to suck hop debris into the keg.

krausenhaus said:
I find that if I freeball a lot of hops, I have to stop racking earlier as I start to suck hop debris into the keg.
Agreed, I just tip fermenter back and can get just about all the wort out with minimal loss to trub.

I just googled "free balls" and got this

free balls.JPG

do not google free balling.. the net is loaded with cocko lounging about

:p

Latest posts

Back