Style Of The Week 11/10/06 - Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Saison it is the best beer I nearly ever drank

Me too Pumpy, me too!

One of my favourite styles

Kabooby :)

i have just had 7 schooners of Saison made with Kaboobys special yeast he gave me, he blended it himself , ( I reckon he brews some awesome Saison's) it went down to zero and it was Jamils grain bill with Doc's spice bill and I regulary buy the Saison Dupont and I love this brew it is so drinkable the only trouble is I am on a health kick with the missus and have to do a 45 min walk tonight ( more like a stumble)

Saison is a totally different beer but highly drinkable you either love it or hate it

Pumpy :)

I agree kabooby

I'm pushed for time and need beer in hot weather so thought I would try a saison.

I love the idea of brewing in summer in QLD in the shed with no temp control! This beer is made for the climate at my place.

Here is what I did:
Morgans Wheat Tin
400g Pale Crystal Steep
1kg LDME
20g of Tettnang - 30 mins
20g of Hallertauer - 10mins
24L in total
Est OG 1040
Finish at 1002
5.5% or so.

Pitched 3724 at 30degrees

It's in the shed and this morning was going great guns.

Currently well over 30degrees in the shed, more like 35.

I will let your know how it goes. I will be trying a stout on the yeast cake next.

I thought 3724 was OK at 30+ degrees?

I've got a saison in the plans next and I too have 3724 but I think the point is ........its notorious for getting a stuck ferment and taking 4+ weeks to ferment out to FG.

I was planning on a ferment of the mid 20's and then pushing it to near 30 later on.

I thought 3724 was OK at 30+ degrees?
Initially it goes great guns, but then chugs along knocking off the last 10 or so points.
It also seems to take a little while cleaning up after itself (in my very limited experience).

In terms of grain to brain, I reckon the 3711 French is a better option. A little dryer than 3724, but equally drinkable, perhaps even more so in the hot weather.

I remember what I was thinking now.

Thought I would do it with 3711, then went to buy 3711 but it is not available, so ended up with the 3724.

I really needed the strains that could handle up to 35 degrees.

I remember what I was thinking now.

Thought I would do it with 3711, then went to buy 3711 but it is not available, so ended up with the 3724.

I really needed the strains that could handle up to 35 degrees.

3711 does not cope with the heat anything like 3724.... 3724 is sluggish, but good choice I say. Farmhouse is a cracker strain as well, when you can get it.

3711 does not cope with the heat anything like 3724.... 3724 is sluggish, but good choice I say. Farmhouse is a cracker strain as well, when you can get it.

This is good to know, hopefully it will be worth the wait.

That yeast does have a really strong lemony smell to it, beers.

Interested to see how it works with those hops. :unsure:

Keg of this one just blew & I miss it already :( Hops were obviously not the best for the "typical" style (not as earthy & floral), & probably a little OTT, but I liked how the grapey like flavours of the NS played with the yeast esters, combined with the dry edge made it a great refreshing summer beer IMO.
I'm thinking of ordering another lot of the 3711 yeast & re-brewing it again next weekend.. will probably cut the NS 50/50 with something a little more traditional, or maybe even some Citra, just to take a little bit of the sharp edge off it. I might even try re-pitching the yeast into a Black Saison IPA :rolleyes:
Man, I love that 3711.. a new favorite :)

I ran the 3724 at aboout 27 deg for the first couple days of frenzied activity and then held it at 30 deg and above for the next 4 weeks.

The beers ended up supurb!

Edit: 27... not 17 :)

I just secured a new packet of French Saison 3711 and some naked oats :super:

I think I might have to make another Saison.

OG 1044 FG 1002
93% Pilsner malt
7% Naked oats
Hopped to 28 IBU with Hallertaur flowers (have heaps)
3711 French Saison

I haven't used the Naked oats before so I am loking forward to see what they contribute

Hey Kabooby,

Keen to hear what you think of the naked oats with the 3711 in a light saison.

I've got nothing to make comparison to with the one I brewed with 10% Simpsons Naked Oats, other than the fact it is quite likely my best AG recipe to date - enjoyed by everyone in the family who tried it over Christmas.

Keeping it "small" (OG1037) made sure it was a good summer session beer @ 4.5% and while I thought it had finished around 1002 or 3, I have a suspicion the 3711 may have finished off those last few points in the bottle as it was very highly carbed.

Cheers,

Lucky.

Will do Lucky,

I am hoping to get a nice silky mouthfeel with a hint of caramel from the oats. That's what the malt description says anyway :p

I'm pushed for time and need beer in hot weather so thought I would try a saison.

I love the idea of brewing in summer in QLD in the shed with no temp control! This beer is made for the climate at my place.

Here is what I did:
Morgans Wheat Tin
400g Pale Crystal Steep
1kg LDME
20g of Tettnang - 30 mins
20g of Hallertauer - 10mins
24L in total
Est OG 1040
Finish at 1002
5.5% or so.

Pitched 3724 at 30degrees

It's in the shed and this morning was going great guns.

Currently well over 30degrees in the shed, more like 35.

I will let your know how it goes. I will be trying a stout on the yeast cake next.

This has gotten down to 1010 in nearly 2 weeks, will see if it come down another 5 or 6 points in the next week or so. It cooled off a bit for a few days but should be up to 30degrees again now.

Tasting pretty good out of the hydro sampler.

Think I will up the hops next time a bit.

you might have a bit of trouble getting the second line to agree with the first line :)

You are right about this yeast going like the clappers and then slowing.

It got to 1.010 no worries but is moving very slowly now.......and it's over 30 degrees......c'mon......patience is not a virtue of mine

Mine with 3724 has been in a week and its already passed the mark where Its prone to stick at 1035 and down to 1020 so far. I've had mine at about 26-27 degrees so far and might push it up higher in the second and third weeks to get it down. One thing though, it tasted bloody awesome in the samples i've had so far!

Mine with 3724 has been in a week and its already passed the mark where Its prone to stick at 1035 and down to 1020 so far. I've had mine at about 26-27 degrees so far and might push it up higher in the second and third weeks to get it down. One thing though, it tasted bloody awesome in the samples i've had so far!

Mine didn't stick at all, just taking some time to work though the last little bit. Think I will carb with half normal sugar, as I have heard it may keep going a bit in the bottle. Tastes and smells awesome!

Latest posts

Back