Style Of The Week 11/10/06 - Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey A3k,
although it's certainly not going to appeal to many mainstream/low-carb drinkers.

Yeah i know. i was just jokin as it's probably lower carb than the shite on the market.
I got the same reaction from some of my mates who ususally stick to lagers. Those that like trying nice beers really enjoyed it.

Can't wait to get stuck into this one though. My last one was a cracker and 7.5%. At 4.7%, this one will be more suited for some summer arvo brews. I think this is the first style that i've brewed twice in a row for years.

My "rushed" batch with the dupont yeast has been cc for a week or so now and its tasting mighty fine - I will be filtering and kegging it probably tomorrow.

Finishing it off with Nottingham seemed to do the trick - down to 1.008-1.007 and I don't think it will get any better than that due to the small amount of crystal malt in the recipe.

So - If you make an Australian Pale ale but change your mind, it turns into a really quite tasty Saison with just the pitch of a poorly labeled starter :D and a bit of extra simple sugar.

TB

I'm actually planning to do this with the next heat wave. Aussie Pale done with Belg Saison.

Im really really impressed with my stout with the 3724. Its really turned into someting special!

I think good things come to those who wait :)

Im intersted in the french strain though....... i want to make a pale Saison and get it really REALLY dry.

Im making something to BJCP guidelines while i have a few days off between xmas and new year and going to let it rip at summer temps in the garage with the 3724 belgian strain. I cant beliece how clean theu come out for a 30 deg ferment. Its cleaner than my first kit brew at 24 deg that tasted like fruit punch.

cheers

I've got one going at the mo, started above 30 and its since dropped down into the mid 20's. I'm hoping today's 42 degs will push it back up to 30 degs...it might need a hot water bottle though.

My plan is to do a split batch of my next Aust pale and do a split between the French Saison, the Belg Saison and other Belg yeast that like higher temps. Finish dry and clean without having to micromanage the fermentation temp.

I'm actually planning to do this with the next heat wave. Aussie Pale done with Belg Saison.

I've got one going at the mo, started above 30 and its since dropped down into the mid 20's. I'm hoping today's 42 degs will push it back up to 30 degs...it might need a hot water bottle though.

My plan is to do a split batch of my next Aust pale and do a split between the French Saison, the Belg Saison and other Belg yeast that like higher temps. Finish dry and clean without having to micromanage the fermentation temp.

While the yeast will handle those temps, they wont like it when it cools down. They will slow down or even stop and then when it gets warmer they have to try and get going again. It is best to try and keep a stable temp or let the temp rise up slowly during the fermentation.

Kabooby :)

While the yeast will handle those temps, they wont like it when it cools down. They will slow down or even stop and then when it gets warmer they have to try and get going again. It is best to try and keep a stable temp or let the temp rise up slowly during the fermentation.

would love to...walk away for a couple of days leaving the bugger running in an old fridge and damn thing drops temp itself.

I think there's also an increased risk of autolysis if you ramp the temp up significantly to kick it along.
Case in point, I had mine (Dupont strain) in the mid-20's for 2 weeks, and it had only dropped 20-odd points, (although it was tasting LOVERLY :wub: ), so I cranked it up to 30 for another week, and noticed a real increase in tangy yeasty "vegemite" flavours towards the end. I'm hoping this will be cleaned up with dex + secondary ferment in the keg.

I guess there's a good reason why Dupont supposedly get it going fast in the first week with temps in the range 30-35 deg, and transfer it off the trub after a week, to avoid autolysis issues, and free up the primary fermenter.
Temperamental yeast, huh!

Just went to my fridge to give a slant of 3711 to Pumpy and noticed I don't have any.

Must have used the last one thinking I had more there.

Kabooby :(

I have been reading through my farmhouse ales book and decided I am going to make an Old style saison. Going to ferment with WLP566 and then add some brett and lacto to sour and give it some more character. A sour refreshing saison for summer :icon_drool2:

Did you get around to brewing this yet? I'll be most intrigued to hear any reports.

Cheers
Q

Its conditioning in the keg now. I didn't add any brett, just lacto and the 566 strain. There is a definate sourness but it is not over the top like a gueze. At the moment I think it is a winner, the sourness just adds to the drinkability. I will leave for a few more weeks yet before I start drinking, if I can wait that long :p

Hey guys,
I just tapped the keg of my low alcohol Saison (4.7%) and i've gotta say i'm bloody happy with it.
Definitely a smooth summer quencher.
I had one of my mainstream drinkers around lastnight (usually drinks coopers pale) and he preferred it to the CPA which made me pretty happy.

OG: 1038 FG: 1001 pretty much as predicted.

There's a reasonable amount of hops in the recipe but the flavour is very subtle with the yeast flavours going on. They complement each other perfectly.

Anyway, i think i've talked my beer up enough for now.
Cheers,
Al

Thanks mate.

I have a wyeast 3472 to use and I think i'll make your lower alc one and a higher drier version too and put it away for a while. Perfect time of the year to be making saisons thats for sure! Damn its warm!

Everyone seems to have a differing opinion on mash temp for these though. I really want a true dry one for the bigger beer and will def add some sort of sugar or clear candi syrup.

Thanks mate.

I have a wyeast 3472 to use and I think i'll make your lower alc one and a higher drier version too and put it away for a while. Perfect time of the year to be making saisons thats for sure! Damn its warm!

Everyone seems to have a differing opinion on mash temp for these though. I really want a true dry one for the bigger beer and will def add some sort of sugar or clear candi syrup.

Yeah it's been pretty in Adelaide too.
Did you mean Belgian Saison 3724?
One thing to note if you're making it with 3724 is to adjust for the lower attenuation of that yeast. I got down to 1001, but I used 3711 which is a sugar eating freak. But it'd end up at about 4% if you get 80% attenuation which would be okay anyway.

As for mash temp, mine was at 65 to 66 degrees from memory, but I don't really have an opinion on this as i'm not a Saison Guru by any means. Maybe go 63ish if you wan't a really dry one.

Cheers,
Al

hehe, just read my thread again... Was meant to read pretty hot in adeleade. I'm not a complete weirdo

Its conditioning in the keg now. I didn't add any brett, just lacto and the 566 strain. There is a definate sourness but it is not over the top like a gueze. At the moment I think it is a winner, the sourness just adds to the drinkability. I will leave for a few more weeks yet before I start drinking, if I can wait that long :p

I left this to condition for a few weeks and it has a definate tart, tang to it from the lacto. Maybe a little too much.

Conclusion: For me lacto on it's own (with a sach strain) will produce sourness but might be a bit tangy. I think I will add some brett and put it away for 6 months

I left this to condition for a few weeks and it has a definate tart, tang to it from the lacto. Maybe a little too much.

Conclusion: For me lacto on it's own (with a sach strain) will produce sourness but might be a bit tangy. I think I will add some brett and put it away for 6 months

how much hops did you use in that kabooby and how strong is it? i thought lacto didnt work very well with bitterness over 20 or alc over 5 or something

how much hops did you use in that kabooby and how strong is it? i thought lacto didnt work very well with bitterness over 20 or alc over 5 or something

It's meant to be fairly well suppressed by hops i thought. On a related note, Neonmeate, I enjoyed your funky lambicised supersaison so much that I've made something v. similar to yours, although dropped the ibu's a little. Looking forward to it if it turns out anywhere near as nice as yours.

Cheers
Q

cool i guess the beauty of chucking random dregs in like that is that every beer will turn out different too.

still havent had your "touch of fruit" but will give it a go shortly

IBU: 27 and abv 6%

The lacto was active and added with the primary yeast so it had a few days to work before the alc got to high.

Racked it to glass and added oude beersel (i think) dregs just before, it's fairly sweet without the bitterness to balance it, looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Cheers
Q

cool i guess the beauty of chucking random dregs in like that is that every beer will turn out different too.

still havent had your "touch of fruit" but will give it a go shortly

i have just had 7 schooners of Saison made with Kaboobys special yeast he gave me, he blended it himself , ( I reckon he brews some awesome Saison's) it went down to zero and it was Jamils grain bill with Doc's spice bill and I regulary buy the Saison Dupont and I love this brew it is so drinkable the only trouble is I am on a health kick with the missus and have to do a 45 min walk tonight ( more like a stumble)

Saison is a totally different beer but highly drinkable you either love it or hate it

Pumpy :)

Back