Style Of The Week 11/10/06 - Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
So with the weather heating up, it's time to think of some beers that can be made in the heat. One of these is the Saison, BJCP style 16C. Both the White Labs and Wyeast yeasts for this style can be (are best?) fermented in the mid-twenties (or higher?).

There have been some threads about this style, Saison recipe thoughts, and Saison you will never forget.
Also some articles on saison.
All about beer article.
Ale street news article.

So what are your experiences with this style? Grains? Hops? Which yeast to use? Any spices/peels to add? What temperature did you do your fermentation at? Can this style be done by partial mashers? Kit based brewers? Any commercial saisons available here?

Tell us all you know about this style. :chug:

Information on the style from
16C. Saison

Aroma: High fruitiness with low to moderate hop aroma and moderate to no herb, spice and alcohol aroma. Fruity esters dominate the aroma and are often reminiscent of citrus fruits such as oranges or lemons. A low to medium spicy or floral hop aroma is usually present. A moderate spice aroma (from actual spice additions and/or yeast-derived phenols) complements the other aromatics. When phenolics are present they tend to be peppery rather than clove-like. A low to moderate sourness or acidity may be present, but should not overwhelm other characteristics. Spice, hop and sour aromatics typically increase with the strength of the beer. Alcohols are soft, spicy and low in intensity, and should not be hot or solventy. The malt character is light. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Often a distinctive pale orange but may be golden or amber in color. There is no correlation between strength and color. Long-lasting, dense, rocky white head resulting in characteristic "Belgian lace" on the glass as it fades. Clarity is poor to good though haze is not unexpected in this type of unfiltered farmhouse beer. Effervescent.

Flavor: Combination of fruity and spicy flavors supported by a soft malt character, a low to moderate alcohol presence and tart sourness. The fruitiness is frequently citrusy (orange- or lemon-like). The addition of one of more spices serve to add complexity. Low peppery yeast-derived phenols may be present instead of or in addition to spice additions. Hop flavor is low to moderate, and is generally spicy in character. Hop bitterness may be moderate to high, but should not overwhelm fruity esters, spices, and malt. Malt character is light but provides a sufficient background for the other flavors. A low to moderate tart sourness may be present, but should not overwhelm other flavors. Spices, hop bitterness and flavor, and sourness commonly increase with the strength of the beer while sweetness decreases. No hot alcohol or solventy character. Substantial carbonation and bitterness give a dry finish with a long, bitter, sometimes spicy aftertaste. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body. Alcohol level can be medium to medium-high, though the warming character is low to medium. No hot alcohol or solventy character. Very high carbonation with an effervescent quality. There is enough prickly acidity on the tongue to balance the dry finish. A low to moderate tart character may be present but should be refreshing and not to the point of puckering.

Overall Impression: A medium to strong ale with a distinctive yellow-orange color, highly carbonated, well hopped, fruity and dry with a quenching acidity.

History: A seasonal summer style produced in Wallonia, the French-speaking part of Belgium. Originally brewed at the end of the cool season to last through the warmer months before refrigeration was common. It had to be sturdy enough to last for months but not too strong to be quenching and refreshing in the summer. It is now brewed year-round in tiny, artisanal breweries whose buildings reflect their origins as farmhouses.

Comments: Varying strength examples exist (table beers of about 5% strength, typical export beers of about 6.5%, and stronger versions of 8%+). Sweetness decreases and spice, hop and sour character increases with strength. Herb and spice additions often reflect the indigenous varieties available at the brewery. High carbonation helps bring out the many flavors and to increase the perception of a dry finish. All of these beers share somewhat higher levels of acidity than other Belgian styles while the optional sour flavor is often a variable house character of a particular brewery.

Ingredients: Pilsner malt dominates the grist though a portion of Vienna and/or Munich malt contributes color and complexity. Adjuncts such as candi sugar and honey can also serve to add complexity and thin the body. Hop bitterness and flavor may be more noticeable than in many other Belgian styles. A saison is sometimes dry-hopped. Noble hops, Styrian or East Kent Goldings are commonly used. A wide variety of herbs and spices are generally used to add complexity and uniqueness in the stronger versions. Varying degrees of acidity and/or sourness can be created by the use of gypsum, acidulated malt, a sour mash or Lactobacillus. Hard water, common to most of Wallonia, can accentuate the bitterness and dry finish.
Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.048 - 1.080 1.010 - 1.016 25 - 45 5 - 12 5 - 8.5%

Commercial Examples: Saison Dupont, Foret and Moinette Blonde; Fantome Saison(s); Saison de Pipaix and La Folie; Saison Silly; Saison Regal; Saison Voisin; Lefebvre Saison 1900; Ellezelloise Saison 2000; Brooklyn Saison; Southampton Saison; New Belgium Saison; Pizza Port-Carlsbad Saison

Nice choice Stuster. :)

I can only speak from the experience of one I've made myself. Turned out really nice. :beerbang:

First and foremost anbody who really wants to dabble with this style and it's well worth it should grab a copy of "Farmhouse Ales". Well worth the read.

Commercial examples can be had here if you look hard enough. Saison Dupont is available in Australia and is a the supposed benchmark for the style. Really great drop.

I've also tried one of Brent's (Borret's) interpretation of the style and it was an absolute gem. :) Lots of complexity and a good dry finish. It just heightened my belief that the KISS theory works well on the grainbill.

I'll post me recipe but confess that the Cara Amber just clashed too much with the bone dry attenuation of the yeast. Next time I make this I'd just stick with 100% Pilsner malt and maybe a bit of wheat.

As for fermentation? I'd suggest pitching at normal ale temps (around 18 degrees) and letting the fermentation creep up to around 30 degrees (or more). Trust me this yeast can handle it. In fact it goes to sleep if you don't keep it at a minimum of 25 degrees. Be patient and let it finish the job. My primary took around a month.

Think I might do another this summer. Great beer to make (and consume) in hot weather.

Saison du Auld Lang Sine

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

16-C Belgian & French Ale, Saison

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.080
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 12 Max Clr: 31 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 9.10
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.84
Anticipated EBC: 10.8
Anticipated IBU: 29.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 79 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
22.0 2.00 kg. Bourghul Australia 1.034 4
4.4 0.40 kg. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046 0
54.9 5.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 3
16.5 1.50 kg. Weyermann Vienna Germany 1.038 8
2.2 0.20 kg. Weyermann Caraamber Germany 1.037 93

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
60.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 4.50 21.5 60 min.
20.00 g. Saaz Pellet 3.30 5.3 60 min.
15.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 4.50 1.4 15 min.
20.00 g. Saaz Pellet 3.30 0.9 5 min.
5.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 4.50 0.3 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
15.00 gm Corriander Seed Spice 5 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3724 Belgian Saison

Warren -

I brewed one of these last summer because I couldn't keep any other ferment cool enough at the time. Turned out to be a very nice beer and will get another outing or two soon now that the weather is warming up again. The Wyeast saison (3274) strain went like buggery for the first week then took three weeks in the mid-high 20's to finish the last fraction of fermentation. It also threw up plenty of citrus, pepper and other yeast-derived flavours, I think you can easily rely on the yeast for those unique qualities rather than adding other flavourings.

Mine was quite light for the style but still just within guidelines in my opinion. I also think it works excellently brewed like this. Recipe is here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=208

The Wyeast saison (3274) strain went like buggery for the first week then took three weeks in the mid-high 20's to finish the last fraction of fermentation. It also threw up plenty of citrus, pepper and other yeast-derived flavours, I think you can easily rely on the yeast for those unique qualities rather than adding other flavourings.

The Wyeast strain is originally from Dupont and this is its typical behaviour. 3-4 weeks at higher temps is needed to finish the job.

Dave

Yep, I have read that is typical. Also as warren says keeping it hot at the end seems to do it well.

One of my favourite styles, that I've brewed at least 10 times to come up with a recipe that I'm happy with. And of course this is the high end of the range 7%+
Will dig up the recipe tomorrow and post, because not only have I brewed it twice since perfecting it, but another Hills Brewers Guild member brewed it and it came out identical. Beautiful.

Doc

Actually tomorrow is going to be another shit day at the office, so I've dug up the recipe.

40 Litres
OG 1.062 FG 1.010 7.1%

6.66kg Weyerman Pils
1.33kg JW Light Munich
0.88kg JW Wheat

50 gr Stirling Pellets 6.8% @ 60 mins
14 gr Dried Orange Peel Pellets (Asian food store) @15 mins
20 gr Crushed Corriander Seeds @ 15 mins
1.5 gr Grains of Paridise @ 15 mins (Herbies Spices in Sydney)

67 Deg Mash
WLP 565 Saison Yeast.

4 weeks to ferment.

Doc

Nice simple recipe Doc. And an easy drinking 7.1%. :lol:

Are the grains of paradise noticeable in the end result? (after looking at herbie's price for it I hope not.)

What are Stirling pellets Doc?

Sterling are a new variety along the lines of Saaz, Rob. Have a look here for more info on them and lots of other hops too. :D

I blame you for starting this thread Stuster :p ... I've contacted Grain and Grape for another Smack Pack of Wyeast 3724 damn you. :lol:

Given the premature heatwave that's going to hit Melbourne might be time for another Saison methinks. :rolleyes:

Warren -

I must contact them for my commission. :lol:

Ross, fancy sponsoring a thread on IIPAs? :eek:

Bit hard to nail down how much spicyness the GoP give to the beer when you are using the Saison yeast and Sterling pellets as well.
Especially when only using 1.5 grams. Although I did bite into one grain once and oh it is spicy.

Doc

Has anyone used either Wyeast 3275 Biere de Garde (from Fantme) or Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale (from Blaugies)?

I've got a smack pack of 3725 in the fridge, but never got the chance to try 3726 before it was discontinued. Spewing. From the sounds they might be a bit quicker to act than 3724.

I've never tried this style, but the high fermentation temperatures are looking attractive at the moment. Sounds like it's hard to find though. I've just looked through the Belgian Beer Cafe's list and there aren't any there.

Is it anything like a belgian witbier?

I've never tried this style, but the high fermentation temperatures are looking attractive at the moment. Sounds like it's hard to find though. I've just looked through the Belgian Beer Cafe's list and there aren't any there.

Is it anything like a belgian witbier?

the belgian beer cafe doesn't have a lot of the really rustic belgian stuff - that's why it's fun to brew your own. you can buy saison dupont (the classic) down in melbourne and in perth but in sydney the only way to taste something similar is to buy some WLP565.

it's kind of witbierlike in the yeast and spice dept, but hoppier and "earthier". less wheaty too, usually a pale malt/pils malt base. sometimes features bizarre spices too (like saison de pipaix, which has lichen). and they are tasty.

you can buy saison dupont (the classic) down in melbourne and in perth but in sydney the only way to taste something similar is to buy some WLP565.
You can get it through MegaBeer, but you have to buy a case.

If you just want a single bottle you can order from Cloud Wine in Melbourne.

But either way you'll have to pay for shipping.

Keep posted with Grain and Grape. They're selling all the major imported beers now.

They've got Saisons Dupont and Regal. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they sell it online. :)

Warren -

Dare I say it?

Bulk buy for Sydney-side Saison fanciers, as soon as G&G start selling online?

Just a thought.

Seth :p

Latest posts

Back